Razr maxx and razr m text contact major issue. All users please read!!!

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The craziest thing about the OP and his post was when he said " I am a construction manager putting in T-Mobiles 4G network. My wife is also a construction manager for T-Mobile.".. if thats the quality of their people, its embarrassing lol

pclive

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
This is really stupid. I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I have two of these phones experiencing the same thing. The dialer has similar issues.
When entering a name in the dialer or the text message recipient line, it does not appear to be searching the address book like my other phones have. I have a separate "Contacts+" app that will do it just fine. It IS surprising that the Dialer does not have a "Contacts" option.

Here is a good example:
I have at least four (4) "David" contacts in my Google Contacts. I go to my text messages and tap the plus to compose a new message. In the recipient line I beging typing "d", "a", "v"...as soon as I get to this point, I have nothing showing. Before the "v", I had "Dad" showing. The weird thing is that my dad doesn't text. Never has. So why does this contact show up, but none of the "Dave" or "David" contacts, whom I have texted before, do not? The original post was not stupid. In fact, I found this forum because I'm experiencing the same thing. Would be nice if someone had some insight on this.

bamabun

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
there are definitely issues with the way the phone searches through contacts. exactly like pclive describes. it is frustrating. typical android/manufacturer crap! it is always something. this is the stuff that makes dumbed down crap from apple appealing. it just works.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This is really stupid. I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I have two of these phones experiencing the same thing. The dialer has similar issues.
When entering a name in the dialer or the text message recipient line, it does not appear to be searching the address book like my other phones have. I have a separate "Contacts+" app that will do it just fine. It IS surprising that the Dialer does not have a "Contacts" option.

Here is a good example:
I have at least four (4) "David" contacts in my Google Contacts. I go to my text messages and tap the plus to compose a new message. In the recipient line I beging typing "d", "a", "v"...as soon as I get to this point, I have nothing showing. Before the "v", I had "Dad" showing. The weird thing is that my dad doesn't text. Never has. So why does this contact show up, but none of the "Dave" or "David" contacts, whom I have texted before, do not? The original post was not stupid. In fact, I found this forum because I'm experiencing the same thing. Would be nice if someone had some insight on this.

Uhm just because someone doesn't text doesn't mean their name won't show up...

And I don't know what you mean. I have 6 mikes in my phone, when I type m everyone's name that has an m anywhere in the name appears, as soon as I hit "i" it automatically narrows down to only all of the mikes.

Don't see anything wrong with that.

As for the no contacts in the dialer, it's been said a freaking million times if you hit the search button, you know the little magnifying glass on the bottom right of the capacitive buttons? It brings up the contacts.

Also don't see anything wrong with the way that works.

You guys do know that verizon offers a free intro to smart phones class right? :confused:

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
there are definitely issues with the way the phone searches through contacts. exactly like pclive describes. it is frustrating. typical android/manufacturer crap! it is always something. this is the stuff that makes dumbed down crap from apple appealing. it just works.

Welcome to the forums, why don't you just go ahead and complain some more instead of actually adding anything knowledgeable.

bamabun

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, why don't you just go ahead and complain some more instead of actually adding anything knowledgeable.

WTF? I am responding to a post that is about texting contacts not showing up! I am responding and agreeing with a previous poster. Your post didn't have anything to do with anything and has less place here than mine! Is this a place where only good/positive things can be said about the phone? Are you offended? Did you create Android? Are you upset that i spoke of your OS in a negative way. Why don't you go.....................

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What makes the way this phone looks up contacts difficult or hard. The iphone has similar options. I haven't used IOS 6 so I'm not sure if this had changed but your post is borderline trolling. You bash a product without stating the difficulty you are having and then say it sucks. Maybe it is difficult for you, maybe the iPhone is for you. It would make more sense explaining what you find difficult. The search feature works exactly like T9 texting did on traditional phones. Since you haven't made your concerns known we can't offer helpful advice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

pclive

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Uhm just because someone doesn't text doesn't mean their name won't show up...

"Uhm"!!! You were missing my point. My dad doesn't text...I don't text him. Therefore, I can't say that his name shows up because I had texted him recently. He is not a recent contact for text. And others who are recently texted contacts, are not showing up. So why does his contact info show up when typing "da" and the "Davids" in my contacts do not?

And I don't know what you mean. I have 6 mikes in my phone, when I type m everyone's name that has an m anywhere in the name appears, as soon as I hit "i" it automatically narrows down to only all of the mikes.

Well it sounds like you do know what I mean. Ok, so it works for you when you type "m" for mike. I have others that work for me too. The problem is that not all of them work. In fact, I just checked my contacts for the name "Mike" and I have one along with "Michael" and two different contacts name "Michelle". I type "M" and I get a bunch of contacts showing that have the letter "M" in them. There are a bunch, so I didn't scroll through them to look for specific contacts. I then type "i" and my list gets narrowed down to one contact named "Michelle". I do not get any of the other names that include "mi" in the contact name. Additionally, I do not get any of the other contacts that actually begin with "Mi" like "Mike", "Michael" or the other "Michelle" in my contacts. While I'm not suggesting that this happens on your phone. You should test multiple contacts to see if this occurs. Never mind...the way you've made yourself look at this point, you'd never admit to the problem even if you found this to be true with other contacts in your phone book.

As for the no contacts in the dialer, it's been said a freaking million times if you hit the search button, you know the little magnifying glass on the bottom right of the capacitive buttons? It brings up the contacts.

You're getting off the point that was being made. I already knew about searching the contacts using the magnifying glass. But thanks for pointing out the obvious. Instead, I was referring to entering letters by numbers into the dialer and having the matching contacts show up based on those numbers.

You guys do know that verizon offers a free intro to smart phones class right?
Now if they would only have a course on how to make helpful contributions to an online forum, without sounding like an a$s. From you...one or the other will be acceptable. But if you can do both, that will be a bonus.

Now the bottom line is...there is obviously an issue, whether it be for all users or just some users. Just because it's not happening to you (or you don't realize it's happening to you), doesn't mean it's not happening.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When you type the name one shows up but there is a box on the left you click too see the others. It should also say the number of matches.

I will try to add an attachment. I never can through this app for some reason.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I circled the part i was trying to describe. When you click it, it provides more options.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358310457244.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358310457244.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 79

pclive

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
When you type the name one shows up but there is a box on the left you click too see the others. It should also say the number of matches.

I will try to add an attachment. I never can through this app for some reason.

Nice work with the screen shot image. I'm not sure I've ever noticed that. That's good to know.

But my main focus at this point is the same as the OP. That is the fact that, for many users of this phone, when attempting to enter a recipient when texting, it doesn't seem to be searching all of the contacts in the phonebook or contacts list and therefore it doesn't pull up a name or number automatically as you type the name. Again, this is when texting.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
ROFL... I just figured something out. If you type mi in text messenger it will pull back results with Mike and phone numbers with 64. Isn't that awesome? In case your not catching on, mi is equal to 64 on the dial pad.

Text search is still searching the same way as contacts, which is why we get mixed results.

Anyone else find this as the solution to the problem?or actually the cause!

FYI: the result is not limited to motos text app. I got the same in hand cent as well.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You guys need to relax. Simple question. If you don't have an answer, or don't have something to add to the discussion, don't post. Keep it on topic from here on out please.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My reply was in response to the OPs original post. Not sure what you are considering off topic.

gius13

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My issue is I want to forward a text to a group when I hit the forward text key all I get is my reg contacts to come up how do I send to group?

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you go to the people app. Select the group tab, hit the plus, name the group, add people/contacts, then save.

Open text message, type in name of group, select group, add MSG then press send.

Hope that helps. If you have done this, explain at what point your are stuck.

Julie Jervis

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It took me a while to figure this out. Go to the message You want to forward and put your finger on it until it turns blue, a forward envelope will appear at the top. Touch the envelope to select a recipient.

DannyT66

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Nice work with the screen shot image. I'm not sure I've ever noticed that. That's good to know.

But my main focus at this point is the same as the OP. That is the fact that, for many users of this phone, when attempting to enter a recipient when texting, it doesn't seem to be searching all of the contacts in the phonebook or contacts list and therefore it doesn't pull up a name or number automatically as you type the name. Again, this is when texting.
I too have this problem when trying to forward a text message.

Here is the strange thing, it used to work as expected. However now when I type the recipients name it won't find the name of a contact that have I have sent/received text messages with before. It only shows contacts that have never had any prior text communication.

I have a DROID RAZR MAX

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
when you click in the address bar/contact list area hit any letter cause if your looking for sam and hit s it always goes to the top of your phone book. scroll down and pick your contact if theres to many names to remember. thats what I do. otherwise spell out the name or start typing the number until the name you want pops up in the suggested name