New To Android, OS question please...

wifiphone

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've never used an Android phone before. My current smartphones are iPhone 4, BlackBerry 9700.

I want to buy an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S / Captivate, on release day.

I've read it's loaded / locked down with AT&T apps. I want to eliminate them if possible. Can I get rid of the AT&T apps and replace them with equivalent Android Apps?

If this cannot be done, then it's a deal breaker.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can (most likely) root and then get rid of them. You can always download other apps that do those functions and use them. Just because the AT&T apps are there doesn't mean they restrict you to using only those for those functions.

The problem with AT&T is that they only let you download apps from the Market. This doesn't matter to most people, but a lot of Beta apps aren't available from the Market (Swype is the most notable example). I have an Evo and it's loaded with Sprint apps. I can't take them off but I also don't have to use them. So I just ignore them and never use them and pretend they aren't there.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If sideloading is a huge issue for you, you can always get an unlocked Nexus 1. But for 99% of people what is on the market should be more than enough. Google doesn't block stuff like Apple does.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Can I get rid of the AT&T apps and replace them with equivalent Android Apps?
That's 2 separate questions. The first probably requires rooting. The second is a yes but you'd be stuck with Market apps. There's probably a workaround for the latter though.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's 2 separate questions. The first probably requires rooting. The second is a yes but you'd be stuck with Market apps. There's probably a workaround for the latter though.

The Galaxy S will be such a great selling phone that I am sure someone will solve these issues with a root or workaround soon after launch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87