Question about deactivated phone that I am trying to sell - still shows number?

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to sell my android charge and have done the factory reset and wiped sd card data. However, under phone status i still see my current phone number and the service state is "in service" while mobile network state is disconnected... what does that mean? thank you!

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
no.... should I before selling it? isnt the card deactivated when i bought a new phone? so you are saying i should sell my phone without my old sim card and i should destroy it? thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Take it out before you sell it. Whoever buys it can either get a new SIM card from their provider, or may just move the SIM for their current phone over to your phone.

There are a number of articles on the web about this. Here's one: Help - Tips for Deleting Your Cell Phone Data Tips, Solutions & How Tos | PCMag.com

Before Verizon developed 4G LTE, their 3G CDMA network didn't use a SIM card, and you had to talk to Verizon directly to completely deactivate a phone and remove the number. Since Verizon phones still have 3G capability, I'm not entirely sure if you still have to get Verizon to deactivate it completely, even after removing the SIM. You may want to call Verizon about this. Anyone else on this forum know for sure?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Speaking on the phone number that will change once the phone is reactivated with a new account/owner. Once the phone receives the proper activation signal it will replace your old number with the new owners.

BTW, what model of phone are you talking about so we can troubleshoot things a bit better?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's the Samsung Droid Charge (OP referred to "android charge"). Paul627g, what if you don't want the buyer to be able to see your phone number at all? And wouldn't it be theoretically possible for the buyer to reactivate the phone on the seller's network using the seller's number?

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Speaking on the phone number that will change once the phone is reactivated with a new account/owner. Once the phone receives the proper activation signal it will replace your old number with the new owners.

BTW, what model of phone are you talking about so we can troubleshoot things a bit better?

i have a droid charge. just removed the card and phone status shows SIM ID, IMSI and phone number "unknown". Is this good enough? also got a warning saying that i need to add a sim card to use the phone...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty standard to sell used phones without the SIM, so that should be good enough. You could call Verizon to see if they can wipe the SIM card as well, if you prefer to sell the phone with the SIM.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe it's the Samsung Droid Charge (OP referred to "android charge"). Paul627g, what if you don't want the buyer to be able to see your phone number at all? And wouldn't it be theoretically possible for the buyer to reactivate the phone on the seller's network using the seller's number?
Yeah thanks I missed that little piece of the OP's post "android charge". Pulling the SIM as recommended should be sufficient to get rid of the phone number, etc. Not sure about reinstating the phone under the owners old information.. I would think the carrier accepting the new activation would catch that, maybe not.. ?