No LTE; no calls, text, or data. Looking for direction.

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
Looks like that's what I'll be doing.

On a completely unrelated note, I noticed your avatar features Aiden Hutchinson. I live in Michigan and wondered if you did as well.

GO BLUE!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Looks like that's what I'll be doing.

On a completely unrelated note, I noticed your avatar features Aiden Hutchinson. I live in Michigan and wondered if you did as well.

GO BLUE!
Yes :) born and raised in Michigan now Jersey boy lol but my heart is Michigan

Go Blue!

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
Mustang7757, I was born and raised in Jackson, graduated from U of M in 2002, live near Midland now. Thank you for your help over the last couple days.

B. Diddy, thank you for your guidance as well.

It's kind of you to take time out of your day to help a complete stranger, and I thank you for it. I'll provide an update when I get this worked out, one way or another. Have a good night!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang7757, I was born and raised in Jackson, graduated from U of M in 2002, live near Midland now. Thank you for your help over the last couple days.

It's kind of you to take time out of your day to help a complete stranger, and I thank you for it. I'll provide an update when I get this worked out, one way or another. Have a good night!
No problem my pleasure.
I was born in Dearborn , still have lot of family in Michigan but everytime I go back big changes lol don't recognize where I was raised

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm certain that your phone will work properly on Verizon. Good luck, and please keep us updated.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
It's a nightmare getting unlocked phones to work on the Verizon Straight Talk SIM cards if they'll work at all. Most of the time you have to use the AT&T Straight Talk SIM cards. With AT&T not working in your area your best bet is to buy a phone through Straight Talk if you want to use their service or do a BYOD to Verizon.

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
I made the switch to Verizon yesterday. They ported our numbers back from Straight Talk. My wife's iPhone X worked before I left the parking lot. My Galaxy S10e is still acting exactly as it did with Straight Talk. It shows signal strength, but no 4G or LTE. When I try to make a call, a message pops up immediately stating "Call not sent." It won't send or receive text messages. I'm thinking the problem is the phone. I think I'll return the phone and try another.

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
I spent an hour tonight at the Verizon store, and they confirmed that the phone is the root of the problem. With the help of the in-store employee and two additional technicians via phone, we've left no doubt that the phone is not functioning properly.

When I got home, I spent another hour on the phone with Gazelle.com, the seller of the phone. I called at 4:12 pm and I waited until 4:55 to speak to someone, when I was promptly put on hold again. The Gazelle.com support line closes at 5:00 pm, and at about 5:08 pm while still on hold, they ended the call.

I've been without a working phone for a week now, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely frustrated. As it turns out, my earlier frustration directed at Straight Talk was misguided. I am very disappointed with Gazelle's customer service, so I've requested a return and refund and I've purchased a phone from a different source.

My thanks go out to B. Diddy, Mustang7757, Laura Knotek, and msm0511 for your counsel over the last several days. This is my first time owning a smart phone, and I sincerely appreciate the time each of you have taken to help me figure this out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I spent an hour tonight at the Verizon store, and they confirmed that the phone is the root of the problem. With the help of the in-store employee and two additional technicians via phone, we've left no doubt that the phone is not functioning properly.

When I got home, I spent another hour on the phone with Gazelle.com, the seller of the phone. I called at 4:12 pm and I waited until 4:55 to speak to someone, when I was promptly put on hold again. The Gazelle.com support line closes at 5:00 pm, and at about 5:08 pm while still on hold, they ended the call.

I've been without a working phone for a week now, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely frustrated. As it turns out, my earlier frustration directed at Straight Talk was misguided. I am very disappointed with Gazelle's customer service, so I've requested a return and refund and I've purchased a phone from a different source.

My thanks go out to B. Diddy, Mustang7757, Laura Knotek, and msm0511 for your counsel over the last several days. This is my first time owning a smart phone, and I sincerely appreciate the time each of you have taken to help me figure this out.

Ugh, that's frustrating! But I'm glad you ultimately figured out the problem. I hope you have better luck with your new phone!

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
If anyone is still interested, here's an update. I returned the Galaxy S10e that I purchased from Gazelle.com because it wouldn't connect to Verizon or Straight Talk networks. I'm still waiting on a refund. I purchased a Galaxy S10e from Decluttr.com and was happy to find it made and received calls and texts with no trouble. When I attempted to use the camera, I found that the camera did not function correctly. After several attempts to correct it, I sent it back to Decluttr. They, too, could not correct the problem, so the issued a refund.

After purchasing two used Galaxy S10e phones from two different sources with disappointing results, I'm hesitant to keep trying. I've experienced more trouble with "smart" phones in the last month than I did with my flip phones over the last 17 years.

I'm considering going back to my flip phone until 3G service is shut down in my area, but that's just delaying the inevitable. I really like the features of the S10e, and it seems like a great choice when considering the relatively inexpensive price. If I could only find one in working condition...

Thanks again for your interest, and mostly for helping me figure this out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How frustrating! This is unfortunately one of the potential risks of getting used phones, though. What's your budget? There are good options brand new under $200 these days.

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
B. Diddy, I apologize for the delayed response. Demands of my job have been higher than usual lately, and I haven't taken time to post a response.

You're right, there is risk associated with buying a used phone. I was placing my trust in the sellers who claim to have tested functionality of the phones. I learned my lesson.

There may be a positive outcome after all. I ordered a Galaxy S10 from Decluttr.com and it was delivered yesterday. Although I prefer the smaller size of the S10e, the slightly larger S10 isn't problematic. The phone is My goal was to stay under $300, and I have with the used S10. I've confirmed that the camera works, and it makes and receives calls. I will check other functionality tonight, but the results are promising so far.

Looking back, I'm certain that purchasing a new phone would have been less trouble. Maybe I should have followed that path instead.

Once again, thanks for your input!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
B. Diddy, I apologize for the delayed response. Demands of my job have been higher than usual lately, and I haven't taken time to post a response.

You're right, there is risk associated with buying a used phone. I was placing my trust in the sellers who claim to have tested functionality of the phones. I learned my lesson.

There may be a positive outcome after all. I ordered a Galaxy S10 from Decluttr.com and it was delivered yesterday. Although I prefer the smaller size of the S10e, the slightly larger S10 isn't problematic. The phone is My goal was to stay under $300, and I have with the used S10. I've confirmed that the camera works, and it makes and receives calls. I will check other functionality tonight, but the results are promising so far.

Looking back, I'm certain that purchasing a new phone would have been less trouble. Maybe I should have followed that path instead.

Once again, thanks for your input!

I never buy used phones anymore for the exact reasons you described :( I also bought 2 used phones in a row just like you that both had issues... the difference was they were supposed to be new :eek: My mistake was buying them from 2 different third party scammers on Amazon like you did. Buying phones has become "Scam City" unless you buy them new from reputable places. B&H photo/video is where I usually get my phones... they have crazy good sale prices on brand new phones, especially 1-2 year old phones (that come with the original manufacturers warranty).

I usually pick up 2 year old flagship phones from them for a third of the original price or less. I rarely spend over $300 for a $900-$1000 phone. And these phones are brand new, factory sealed directly from Google/Samsung/Motorola etc. You don't need to buy phones from sketchy sites to save money ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali