No LTE; no calls, text, or data. Looking for direction.

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
I purchased a used unlocked Galaxy S10e and I'm trying to get it working. The sim card is new from Straight Talk for use on the Verizon networks. I've spent 8 hours or more on the phone with Straight Talk tech support trying to get it working. I have noticed that when the phone is starting up after a factory reset, the LTE icon appears near the signal strength icon at the top. The LTE icon remains throughout the setup process, but within a few seconds of completing setup, the LTE icon disappears. I cannot make or receive calls, and I cannot send or receive texts. In the sim card status screen in settings, the "Mobile network state" is shown as disconnected. However, "Service State" is showing in service, and the IMS registration status is showing registered. Does this indicate a problem with the sim card, with the phone, with the network, or maybe a combination of these? :confused: Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
Yes, the IMEI is compatible. According to Straight Talk, everything checks out and the phone should be working. Thanks for the quick response!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Samsung/Straight talk are problems ive seen through the years , best bet is to get one of Major carrier prepaid sim cards , you do a search here from s9 series up until now major headaches.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the exact model of the S10e? Was it intended for Verizon? Can you try a Straight Talk card that uses AT&T or T-Mobile towers instead?

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
It's the Galaxy S10e SM-G970 128GB. I purchased it from Gazelle.com as unlocked. I chose the sim card that uses the Verizon towers because Verizon is the only reliable service available where I live. When family members using AT&T visit, they struggle to get a signal. We had to switch from Sprint to Verizon shortly after moving because the signal was so poor. I could try a sim card that uses other carrier towers in an effort to focus in on the root cause. I could test it when I'm closer to town and have a stronger signal. Thank you for the suggestion!

We have had Verizon service for the last 9 years with no complaints. I was using a Casio GZone G'Zone C781 Ravine 2, and my wife was using a sliding phone (I don't recall the details, but it's not important). With the impending retirement of 3G service, we decided to upgrade to smart phones. In an effort to keep our monthly bill similar to what it's been with the old phones, I thought trying one of the MVNOs would be a good idea. I'm starting to think I was wrong.

My wife prefers Apple products, so we purchased a refurbished iPhone X for her. After resetting the network settings, her phone has been working well. I've run out of ideas for my S10e. I'm considering moving back to Verizon, and we might still go back even if I get my phone working with Straight Talk.

I'll take some time to search the forum for Samsung/Straight Talk issues so I can better understand what I'm up against. Thank you for the insight!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's the Galaxy S10e SM-G970 128GB. I purchased it from Gazelle.com as unlocked. I chose the sim card that uses the Verizon towers because Verizon is the only reliable service available where I live. When family members using AT&T visit, they struggle to get a signal. We had to switch from Sprint to Verizon shortly after moving because the signal was so poor. I could try a sim card that uses other carrier towers in an effort to focus in on the root cause. I could test it when I'm closer to town and have a stronger signal. Thank you for the suggestion!

We have had Verizon service for the last 9 years with no complaints. I was using a Casio GZone G'Zone C781 Ravine 2, and my wife was using a sliding phone (I don't recall the details, but it's not important). With the impending retirement of 3G service, we decided to upgrade to smart phones. In an effort to keep our monthly bill similar to what it's been with the old phones, I thought trying one of the MVNOs would be a good idea. I'm starting to think I was wrong.

My wife prefers Apple products, so we purchased a refurbished iPhone X for her. After resetting the network settings, her phone has been working well. I've run out of ideas for my S10e. I'm considering moving back to Verizon, and we might still go back even if I get my phone working with Straight Talk.

I'll take some time to search the forum for Samsung/Straight Talk issues so I can better understand what I'm up against. Thank you for the insight!
If you go to settings >general management >reset>reset network

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
Mustang7757 - Yes, I've reset the network settings more times than I can remember. I've completed a factory data reset at least four times, and I've wiped the cache partition as well. I might try a different sim card. It appears that Straight Talk offered the Galaxy S10e for sale, so I want to believe I can get this to work.

B. Diddy - I apologize, I left off the last two digits. The full model number is SM-G970U1.

Thank you to both of you for your interest in helping me!

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
I can't find "Preferred Network Type," but I found Settings - Connections - Mobile Networks - Network Mode. This shows "LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)" as the selected option. I can choose from Global, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS, or CDMA from the drop down menu. I've tried all of these with no luck.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang7757 - Yes, I've reset the network settings more times than I can remember. I've completed a factory data reset at least four times, and I've wiped the cache partition as well. I might try a different sim card. It appears that Straight Talk offered the Galaxy S10e for sale, so I want to believe I can get this to work.

B. Diddy - I apologize, I left off the last two digits. The full model number is SM-G970U1.

Thank you to both of you for your interest in helping me!
Go to settings >connection >mobile networks >Acces Point Names then tap , show a screenshot there?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't find "Preferred Network Type," but I found Settings - Connections - Mobile Networks - Network Mode. This shows "LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)" as the selected option. I can choose from Global, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS, or CDMA from the drop down menu. I've tried all of these with no luck.

Under Network Mode, can you choose LTE Only?

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
Mustang7757, here's the screenshot showing the APN. I've tried using TFDATA and VZWINTERNET as well. Same result, no mobile network connection.
Screenshot.jpg

B. Diddy, unfortunately, there's no option for LTE only.

I apologize for the delayed responses. I'm working on some major repairs to our bathroom, and I'm checking the forum periodically. Thanks for your patience.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang7757, here's the screenshot showing the APN. I've tried using TFDATA and VZWINTERNET as well. Same result, no mobile network connection.
View attachment 341729

B. Diddy, unfortunately, there's no option for LTE only.

I apologize for the delayed responses. I'm working on some major repairs to our bathroom, and I'm checking the forum periodically. Thanks for your patience.
Thanks it should be highlighted like mine, tap the 3 dots to the right and choose reset default see if it gets highlighted Screenshot_20220219-201429_Settings.jpg

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
I can tap the circle and it will light up blue, but "Reset to default" under the three dots is grayed out. Even when the circle is blue, no LTE.

Charisma59

Feb 18, 2022
Visit site
Thanks, Laura. I am strongly considering going back to Verizon. I'm tempted to buy a different brand of Android phone and hope for better results with Straight Talk, but I'm confident I'll have success with Verizon.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, Laura. I am strongly considering going back to Verizon. I'm tempted to buy a different brand of Android phone and hope for better results with Straight Talk, but I'm confident I'll have success with Verizon.
That no question Verizon will work, Strait Talk is a issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred