iSMS Grab: Now Can't Delete Text Threads

bossfan61

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from the iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S3. First full day and liking it so far.

Although I didn't really need to, I wanted to transfer my small handful of text messages from the iPhone to the S3. I found an app called iSMS Grab, and was able to accomplish this pretty easily. However, now the stock messaging app seems sluggish and, when I try to delete older threads, they just won't delete. I've tried doing so with a long press and thru the Menu button. I then uninstalled the iSMS Grab app, cleared data thru Settings > Apps > Messaging > Clear Data, formatted the microSD card, and even removed the SD card - and they still won't delete!

I know the ultimate fix is a factory reset, but I have over 1100 contacts that I've spent a full day configuring ringtones and Caller ID photos. I'll reset if I must, but hopefully I can get some feedback from experienced users here. This is my first day with an Android phone.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

tehmaestro

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey, are you talking about this ? iSMSGrab Export SMS from iPhone to Android XML. iOS6 supported
If yes, what do you mean, you uninstalled the app .. it's a webapp that converts a fie, it can't be "installed".
Anyway, your problem seems to be with the SMS Backup and Restore app. If you head on to the developer's website SMS Backup & Restore - Android Stuff, in the comments, you will see that there is a problem with the Galaxy S3. Try and ask the developer for an ETA on a fix.
Take care.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The comment are taken from the above link posted. also read this FAQs about SMS Backup & Restore - Android Stuff

Guessing its a Galaxy S3 that?s giving you this problem?
Its a known issue with them as they seem to return different thread ids for the number in different format. The only way to fix them at the moment is to manually fix the phone numbers in the XML file.
BTW this is to do with Samsung?s implementation of it and not Google?s.

bossfan61

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I know the iSMS Grab is a web app (my mistake), and I installed the SMS Backup & Restore app to import the XML file on to the microSD card in the S3.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I still can't delete these old texts. New texts from today I can delete with no problem, just can't get rid of the ones I imported in that XML file. :(

Just to clarify, I have since formatted the microSD card so the XML file should not still be there. Could it possibly be copied somewhere in the phone's internal memory?

Last edited:

tehmaestro

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey, when you used SMS Backup and Restore to import the XML, the messages were copied in the internal SMS database file of the OS, which is somewhere on the internal memory of your device. Probably, S3 has a different database structure, therefore the messages copied there are not stored in a normal way, making it impossible to delete the messages from the OS.
You will have to retrieve the SMS database file from your phone (google sms database file location S3) and modify that file manually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith