Charging my new S4

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I'm new here; to both this site and to the Android family itself!

I got my S4 at the beginning of the month and I absolutely love it! I get 3 days out of this thing on one charge, that's bloody fantastic! That's actually the reason I came here; I don't want this battery life to degrade too heavily, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the proper or ideal percentage at which I should charge my battery. Lately I've been doing it at 0% (I've charged my phone only 4-5 times since I've gotten it, to give you a general idea). I know that charging it consistently at 0% is not the best thing to do, so I've decided to take to the forums and look for some guidance. Can anyone help me shed light on this issue?

Additionally, Google isn't helping me, because all I find are increasingly conflicting answers, so I'd really appreciate anything any of you can do for me. Thank you and have an awesome day :D

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, I'm new here; to both this site and to the Android family itself!

I got my S4 at the beginning of the month and I absolutely love it! I get 3 days out of this thing on one charge, that's bloody fantastic! That's actually the reason I came here; I don't want this battery life to degrade too heavily, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the proper or ideal percentage at which I should charge my battery. Lately I've been doing it at 0% (I've charged my phone only 4-5 times since I've gotten it, to give you a general idea). I know that charging it consistently at 0% is not the best thing to do, so I've decided to take to the forums and look for some guidance. Can anyone help me shed light on this issue?

Additionally, Google isn't helping me, because all I find are increasingly conflicting answers, so I'd really appreciate anything any of you can do for me. Thank you and have an awesome day :D

I have actually done some research on this myself. 0% is a bad idea. Many other tech sites/forums say about 25-30% is best, with a near discharge of about 5% once a month.

- - - Updated - - -

I almost forgot...Welcome to the forums and Android

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
That sounds good, when I get to my house I"ll charge it straight away then. I'm at 26% right now. Probably the last week of the month starting next month I'll charge it at 5%, then back to 25-30% as you've said. I've always been of the mind, even with my Blackberry that you have to drain and chargee every time. It's weird for me to change that mindset and know that charging it above empty won't damage the battery. It's like putting gas in a car then; you don't wait until empty, you put it in at a quarter tank to not make the engine strain itself.

Look what 7 minutes of posting did for me here: more than weeks of Googling :p Cheers!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No sweat. That mindset was a carryover from NiMH batteries.

Even so. With moderate use you should be able to go a good day and a half on a charge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87