Hyperlinks arrive as plain text!

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
When I mail a link on my Galaxy S5, the link arrives in working order if the mail is opened on a PC or on my phone (when sent to myself). But a link is received as mere text when opened on a mobile device of someone else. Is there a solution to this problem, without trying a third-party app from Google Play, which guarantees getting endlessly spammed?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That happens regardless of whose phone you send it to? Or is it only with certain recipients?

I've seen this issue asked a few times in the past, but haven't found a satisfactory answer for it yet.

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
From my Galaxy S5, I sent mail to over 70 people, including myself. I asked if they were able to use the link. All the people using a PC reported that the link was functional. All the people using smartphones reported that the link arrived as text only. I find it odd that the link I sent myself on the phone worked but not when it arrived on my desktop PC, where the link arrived as mere text.

Hyperlinks I send from my desktop arrive in working order on phones and PCs, but not if sent from my phone (except when arriving on my phone).

I don't like my wife's new iPhone--the restrictive GUI seems designed for folks that will always be newbies--but the Apple OS is far mor stable.

I am not alone enduring the link problem. A Google search reveals that the bug is widespread. And I cannot blame my security app as I temporarily disabled it when testing the issue.

I would like to know if people who have rooted their devices experience this problem. If not, I would be prepared to root my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a bunch of posts about this issue as well. Some mentioned that it might be related to using a POP3 account. Are you using POP3 or IMAP? If the former, can you try changing to the IMAP server, assuming it's available?

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I am using POP3 after experiencing issues with folders in an IMAP account. Are you using IMAP, and can you mail a functional hyperlink to a PC?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife uses IMAP for her email accounts on her Note5, and has no issues with hyperlinks. What issues did you have with folders on IMAP?

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
In the left column of the mail client on my Galaxy S5, the folders get duplicated and cannot be deleted. But I am encouraged to learn that an IMAP setup may resolve the problem. I will try an IMAP setup again.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Much of this will come down to what email app the sender is using (and how it is configured) and what email app the receiver is using and the type of email (text vs HTML) that is being sent.

When an email is composed, all PC apps and some phone apps give you the option to send the message as either plain text or HTML. HTML gives you the fonts and colors and hot links. Check your email app settings to see what you have configured.

On the receiving side, HTML emails tend to be seen and work as desired. For plain text emails, some email apps will scan the message and make URLs clickable, some apps don't do this.

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
The resident mail app on my Galaxy S5, running Android v6.0.1 (Marshmellow?) does not offer the option to block or show html content, but Windows Live Mail on my PC does. I have the latter allowing html and can receive hyperlinks from my contacts. The only security setting I changed on the S5 is "Unknown sources: Allow installation of apps from both trusted and unknown sources." The rest are set to default.

I'm puzzled why links I send on my phone to myself arrive OK on my phone but not on my PC, while links I mail from my PC arrive OK on both my PC and phone. It seems clear that the problem is in the Android device.

I'll try the IMAP server option. I'm copying the POP3 settings in case the IMAP option causes problems with folders again. If I use IMAP on my phone, must I also use IMAP on my PC, since they both use the same IP address at home?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Since you don't like the behavior of your current email app, I would recommend trying something else.
At the moment, I am really liking Aqua Mail.

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Firstly, I must thank you for your patience.

I switched to IMAP server settings on my Galaxy S5 and found that I could not send or receive mail, or test if links can now be mailed. So I called Brighthouse support, who informed me that their server is down, offering an apology. What a coincidence: from bad to worse. I'll have to wait.

I was sending and receiving mail to and from Yahoo, Gmail and Brighthouse, which was nice as I use Gmail as the default when visiting Google Play and thus avoid the SPAM. Can Aqua Mail combine three e-mail clients, like the resident one in the S5?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can use Gmail to access multiple non-Gmail accounts as well. Open the Gmail app, tap Menu>Settings>Add Account.

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, I found that changing the settings to IMAP server still did not allow me to mail hyperlinks. And the folder structure was duplicated on all my accounts, some folders duplicated multiple times with different grammar--Junk Mail, junkmail. Trash, etc. And downloading mail took 20-30 tomes longer...sluggish. For me, using an IMAP server is a lame idea.

It looks like Android's native mail client is simply not compatible with most systems, especially Windows. Next I will try Aqua Mail. If it supports links and the GUI is logical, I will buy the pro version.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
IMAP, and the other transfer protocols, have nothing to do with out the content of the email is handled on the client. They just move data between the server and the client apps. The transfer protocol will change nothing about URLs being clickable or not.

Djard

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but why does using the IMAP option duplicate the folders and sloooooow down the process of downloading email by as much as 500%?

Concerning my inability to mail hyperlinks from my mobile phone, and now from my PC, I suspect the cause is my mobile net provider (AT&T) and my ISP (Brighthouse) because I just sent a link in mail to my yahoo mail account from my gmail account, and vice versa. The links worked fine.

Aqua Mail...wow! It is rich in features.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
While it does sync more folders than POP3 does, IMAP should not be duplicating folders. That sounds like a bug in the app. However, if that is going on, I can understand other problems that will result in a large slow down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez