Why is my Phone not charging correctly?

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Phone: Galaxy S5 Duos

Model: G900-FD

Android Version: 5.0

I've been using my phone for 2 years and it's in very good condition but one day my phone was just charging quite slow. The normal charging current i got was 1200 mA but it dropped down to 300mA so i thought maybe it's the charger's fault so i brought a totally new one and for a week it got back to 1200mA but now it has dropped back to 300mA and it's been charging slow like this for almost 3 days.

I tried changing sockets but that didn't work either. So I'm hoping someone experienced can help me with it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Could be any number of things but just as a shot in the dark if you have Facebook, try uninstalling as it was causing some drain and charging issues a couple of weeks ago. Could be the phones charging circuit or could be a bad battery also

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that batteries have a lifespan... they have a limited number of charge cycles in them and, at some point, will start to degrade. They will not be able to fully charge, take longer to get to that reduced charge, and that charge 'floor' (where the phone will turn off) will no longer be reliable.

Your phone is two years old now, so if that's the original battery, it might be due for replacement... that's a removeable cell, correct?

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Keep in mind that batteries have a lifespan... they have a limited number of charge cycles in them and, at some point, will start to degrade. They will not be able to fully charge, take longer to get to that reduced charge, and that charge 'floor' (where the phone will turn off) will no longer be reliable.

Your phone is two years old now, so if that's the original battery, it might be due for replacement... that's a removeable cell, correct?

I have a feeling that the problem has to do with phone charging circuit rather than the battery but yes it's a removable cell.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You said you replaced the charger. What about the cable? Those can go bad as well. If that doesn't work, then it could be the port itself going bad in the phone.

I do agree the battery is likely due for a replacement anyway, but has it seemed to drain abnormally fast or shut off before hitting 0% on the meter? If not, then i do think your slow charging is related to a connection/circuit issue. If you are having those additional symptoms, then I'd try replacing the battery.

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
You said you replaced the charger. What about the cable? Those can go bad as well. If that doesn't work, then it could be the port itself going bad in the phone.

I do agree the battery is likely due for a replacement anyway, but has it seemed to drain abnormally fast or shut off before hitting 0% on the meter? If not, then i do think your slow charging is related to a connection/circuit issue. If you are having those additional symptoms, then I'd try replacing the battery.

I did replace the data cable but to no avail. I think that it may be a circuit/port related problem.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that the problem has to do with phone charging circuit rather than the battery but yes it's a removable cell.

On those, it is usually smart to get a fresh cell in there... A replacement battery is a hell of a lot cheaper troubleshooting step than having someone replace your charging port. If it turns to be the port and you get that fixed, at least you'll have a new battery in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty