Can't switch to android at the moment, what the best options?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
But this conversation is based solely on smartphones. Give me one good reason to even keep up with an iPhone.

Some people PREFER the smaller screens of the iPhone. Some like having all that performance in the smallest package available. Not me, I'm eyeing a Z Ultra. Yet, I do not subscribe to the theory that iPhones are only popular due to their owner's ignorance about Android. I know several people that NEED the simplest smartphone they can get. ...and that would be the iPhone, IMO. Some people love the accessory ecosystem that always surrounds any iPhone. I've gone to mall kiosks for cases in upscale locales that sadly don't even know what an LG G2 is...almost unbelievable but very true.

CM on OgPro

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Some people PREFER the smaller screens of the iPhone. Some like having all that performance in the smallest package available. Not me, I'm eyeing a Z Ultra. Yet, I do not subscribe to the theory that iPhones are only popular due to their owner's ignorance about Android. I know several people that NEED the simplest smartphone they can get. ...and that would be the iPhone, IMO.

CM on OgPro

For an answer for your first sentence, check my post about the groups. Anyways, people who really need a simple smartphone can get an LG Basic or a windows phone. What exactly made you decide iOS is simple? Years of myth? Well news sir: iOS isn't the simplest operating system for a long time. What exactly makes you think it's simple?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Some people PREFER the smaller screens of the iPhone. Some like having all that performance in the smallest package available. Not me, I'm eyeing a Z Ultra. Yet, I do not subscribe to the theory that iPhones are only popular due to their owner's ignorance about Android. I know several people that NEED the simplest smartphone they can get. ...and that would be the iPhone, IMO.

CM on OgPro

Why do they need something "simple"? What's simpler about it?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Why do they need something "simple"? What's simpler about it?

For an answer for your first sentence, check my post about the groups. Anyways, people who really need a simple smartphone can get an LG Basic or a windows phone. What exactly made you decide iOS is simple? Years of myth? Well news sir: iOS isn't the simplest operating system for a long time. What exactly makes you think it's simple?

iOS' RELATIVE simplicity is real, yet subjective, I admit. The fact that the layout can only be a grid with app icons and folders leads to familiarity and cuts through the intimidation some immediately feel when they see a customized Android phone like ours with its widgets and dohickys laid out in whatever fashion is most useful to us. Because that person doesn't readily understand how we set that up they feel intimidated by it no matter 'easy' it actually was to to in reality. There are no nightly CM builds for iOS or SlimBean ROMs to create perfection with. You just have the simple grided icon layout Apple employs. So, these folks can only focus on what app they're using and not on the phone or the OS. ...and that, by its very nature is simple. IMO, Android NEEDS to be hacked and customized to be great and useful. When I see a stock plain Android phone I think of okra or plain lettuce.

Whether all this is good or bad is up to the user in question.

No myths, no voodoo, no magic.

CM on OgPro

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
iOS' RELATIVE simplicity is real, yet subjective, I admit. The fact that the layout can only be a grid with app icons and folders leads to familiarity and cuts through the intimidation some immediately feel when they see a customized Android phone like ours with its widgets and dohickys laid out in whatever fashion is most useful to us. Because that person doesn't readily understand how we set that up they feel intimidated by it no matter 'easy' it actually was to to in reality. There are no nightly CM builds for iOS or SlimBean ROMs to create perfection with. You just have the simple grided icon layout Apple employs. So, these folks can only focus on what app they're using and not on the phone or the OS. Whether that's good or bad is up to the user in question.

No myths, no voodoo, no magic.

CM on OgPro
Sorry but you just proved my point yourself... You admitted that most just don't understand the phone, and therefore don't use it. That just strengthens my saying they are feeling that way because of ignorance, and not based on the phone. News Flash- If you click on apps you get to a screen identical to Apple's screen. Case dismissed.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but you just proved my point yourself... You admitted that most just don't understand the phone, and therefore don't use it. That just strengthens my saying they are feeling that way because of ignorance, and not based on the phone. News Flash- If you click on apps you get to a screen identical to Apple's screen. Case dismissed.

My point is that WE choose to make our phone custom (even complex) 'cause that's our 'thang'. I tend to think that in stock android vs. IOS iOS is the more intuitive and attractive. I can, however, turn my Android phone into a sexy lady though who is very useful...To Me. That takes time though and some people just don't want to be bothered with the customizing thing. That's fine. For those that don't want to customize I recommend iOS because I feel Android NEEDS ti be customized. Some will surely disagree and feel that stock out of the box Android is way more attractive than out of the box iOS. Some just want the basics+. iPhone is good at the basics+ IMO.

CM on OgPro

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
My point is that WE choose to make our phone custom (even complex) 'cause that's our 'thang'. It is not everyone's thing nor should it be. Some just want the basics+. iPhone is good at the basics+ IMO.

CM on OgPro
I don't know what. 'Thang' means. I know I have a perfectly good G2 on which I didn't install any custom 'thangs'. Once again, case dismissed.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what. 'Thang' means. I know I have a perfectly good G2 on which I didn't install any custom 'thangs'. Once again, case dismissed.

Forgive me, I forget that I live near Washingon DC and occasionally use the local vernacular for interests/hobbies...hence 'thang'. Regardless, have you not rooted your phone? Installed widgets? Uninstalled bloatware? Changed the font? Installed a custom launcher? Cross-polinated a custom ROM? These are the things that many of us do to our Android phones and many of us would not be satisfied with an Android device that did not have these things done to it. I certainly know that I would not.

...but sometimes I want a device that is simple...enjoyable without all the work I've put into my phones. Just for a change of pace, for me. So I may like a 5s for those times and can relate to those that aren't into Android like I am.

CM on OgPro

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me, I forget that I live near Washingon DC and occasionally use the local vernacular for interests/hobbies...hence 'thang'. Regardless, have you not rooted your phone? Installed widgets? Uninstalled bloatware? Changed the font? Installed a custom launcher? Cross-polinated a custom ROM? These are the things that many of us do to our Android phones and many of us would not be satisfied with a device that did not have these things done to it. I certainly know that I would not.

...but sometimes I want a device that is simple...enjoyable without all the work I've put into my phones. Just for a change of pace, for me. So I may like a 5s for those times and can relate to those that aren't into Android like I am.

CM on OgPro

I'm sorry but I didn't touch my G2. Those who don't want to temper will enjoy a great device nonetheless.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but I didn't touch my G2. Those who don't want to temper will enjoy a great device nonetheless.

The G2 does provide a nice platform. I love mine. I just wish Asurion hadn't replaced my dark navy one with a white one. Other than that? We have a great piece of kit with rude battery life on it. The G2 is so good that many other phones should feel ashamed of their screens, bezels, and battery life.

CM on OgPro

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

In my opinion the iPhone is the best balance between simplicity & functionality. I say that not as a fanboy (not a chance!), but as a realist. WP is simple, but quite limited in function. And once you try to get deeper into it, the learning curve becomes steep very quickly.

That said, Android has matured in the last year or so, and I'd say it's nearly equaled, if not equaled, iOS in simplicity/function. It's also stable and dependable and it just works (provided you get Nexus or Moto X). Android has its bad reputation following it though, which it earned fair & square.

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion the iPhone is the best balance between simplicity & functionality. I say that not as a fanboy (not a chance!), but as a realist. WP is simple, but quite limited in function. And once you try to get deeper into it, the learning curve becomes steep very quickly.

That said, Android has matured in the last year or so, and I'd say it's nearly equaled, if not equaled, iOS in simplicity/function. It's also stable and dependable and it just works (provided you get Nexus or Moto X). Android has its bad reputation following it though, which it earned fair & square.

Explain yourself. Classic AFB.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me, I forget that I live near Washingon DC and occasionally use the local vernacular for interests/hobbies...hence 'thang'. Regardless, have you not rooted your phone? Installed widgets? Uninstalled bloatware? Changed the font? Installed a custom launcher? Cross-polinated a custom ROM? These are the things that many of us do to our Android phones and many of us would not be satisfied with an Android device that did not have these things done to it. I certainly know that I would not.

CM on OgPro

I don't see why stock Android is boring but iphone is not.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why stock Android is boring but iphone is not.

I think I just don't care for the look of stock android so that point is just my preference. It just looks more plain to me than iOS. Like it was meant to be...demands to be...flavored. Like plain lettuce. :)

...and yes I know some people like plain lettuce just fine. Me? I need toppings on my lettuce. iOS to me is like ...cole slaw, which is just fine sometimes.

CM on OgPro

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I just don't care for the look of stock android so that point is just my preference. It just looks more plain to me than iOS. Like it was meant to be...demands to be...flavored. Like plain lettuce. :)

...and yes I know some people like plain lettuce just fine. Me? I need toppings on my lettuce. iOS to me is like ...cole slaw, which is just fine sometimes.

CM on OgPro

That was the biggest pile of nonsense I ever heard

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that but if so we gotta get you out more.

CM on OgPro

Well all along the conversation I understood more and more that all you were trying to achieve is for me to 'meet you in the middle' and agree Android is better for fans, but iOS is simpler, but that just wouldn't happpen... no matter how you put it, iOS isn't better, simpler, more innovative, or anything better than android... just admit iOS is out of date, and unless some makeover happens, which I can guarantee you it won't, Apple will just waste away like Nokia, realizing it too late, like Nokia.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well all along the conversation I understood more and more that all you were trying to achieve is for me to 'meet you in the middle' and agree Android is better for fans, but iOS is simpler, but that just wouldn't happpen... no matter how you put it, iOS isn't better, simpler, more innovative, or anything better than android... just admit iOS is out of date, and unless some makeover happens, which I can guarantee you it won't, Apple will just waste away like Nokia, realizing it too late, like Nokia.

Ok. ...but I don't think iOS is better. At all. Simpler is not better. Its just simpler. I may be mistaken. Perhaps it is more complex. I don't think so but if it is not indeed simpler perhaps more complex is the adjective I should use? I do not believe them equal in complexity. So it has to be either simpler or more complex. iOS is NOT more complex than Android, its just not. I do think it IS different. I also think that I enjoy stock iOS more than I enjoy stock Android. I currently use neither.

CM on OgPro

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok. ...but I don't think iOS is better. At all. Simpler is not better. Its just simpler. I may be mistaken. Perhaps it is more complex. I don't think so but if it is not indeed simpler perhaps more complex is the adjective I should use? I do not believe them equal in complexity. So it has to be either simpler or more complex. iOS is NOT more complex than Android, its just not. I do think it IS different. I also think that I enjoy stock iOS more than I enjoy stock Android. I currently use neither.

CM on OgPro
I disagree. I think Android is simpler and definitely much more intuitive to use.