Can't switch to android at the moment, what the best options?

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
So, right now I can't really switch to a android phone. I have a 5S on the ATT next program and I can't switch to a android phone either until I pay the iPhone off fully or unless I get a off contract phone like the nexus 5 or moto G.

But what are my options right now so I do t become further entrenched in apple land? Stop buying apps on my iPhone and ipad? Get a moto g and use it because it's cheaper than a nexus 5, or just save for a nexus 5? I already own a nexus 7, so just start buying apps on that instead?

The thing with apple is I think they make solid products, it's just I believe right now at this point in my life i don't really want to feel trapped in a ecosystem. I'd rather have something with a few issues instead of a lack of excitement. And I'm continuing to find android to be more exciting than iOS. I still think ios has more beautiful apps, but I think it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but, you can pick up up a BlackBerry Z10 for under $200 now. Install the leaked 10.2.1 OS, then you can install the Amazon Android Market and also SNAP (Google Play). You login in using your Amazon or Google account, then you can download Android apps. Then when you switch to an Android device, you'll be able to re-download the apps you had purchased while using the Zed. 4.2.2 runtime so most apps should work.

Z10 is a good device. Expandable SD Memory to 64gb. NFC to make mobile purchases. 4.2" 356ppi LCD screen. A much better virtual keyboard than the iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but, you can pick up up a BlackBerry Z10 for under $200 now. Install the leaked 10.2.1 OS, then you can install the Amazon Android Market and also SNAP (Google Play). You login in using your Amazon or Google account, then you can download Android apps. Then when you switch to an Android device, you'll be able to re-download the apps you had purchased while using the Zed. 4.2.2 runtime so most apps should work.

Z10 is a good device. Expandable SD Memory to 64gb. NFC to make mobile purchases. 4.2" 356ppi LCD screen. A much better virtual keyboard than the iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Hi, do you mean it's used for under $200?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

flipponater

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If you truly want to move to android,then take the ebay suggestion...But my opinion would be to wait it out and see whats on the market then.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not suggesting but just musing the option, is it possible to just sell the iPhone? Would the buyer be able to use that iPhone or is it tied to your account? I haven't been in a phone contract for years.

sent via tapatalk

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
FYI: the Nexus 5 is faster, just as powerful, better screen, better battery, better camera, better everything except native apps. For that, there are endless choices in the play store, plus it's not locked in, SMS works, everything JUST WORKS ON THE NEXUS 5, as well or BETTER as on the 5S. Prove that wrong.

Whoah, calm down there big fella! The Nexus is an awesome phone, no doubt, but Google would be the first to admit it isn't a 'Halo' product like the 5S. The 5S uses premium materials, new technology etc. It is seen as Apple's flagship phone and is an exquisite piece of kit which is now almost perfect due to its extensive development cycle. The N5 is a great phone, but the build quality isn't a patch on the 5S and they have had to make compromises with it, where the iPhone has the best of everything, like the camera having a sapphire crystal lens, the fingerprint reader and so on.

I am not giving the Nexus a hard time, its a great phone for the price as is the Moto G. :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Whoah, calm down there big fella! The Nexus is an awesome phone, no doubt, but Google would be the first to admit it isn't a 'Halo' product like the 5S. The 5S uses premium materials, new technology etc. It is seen as Apple's flagship phone and is an exquisite piece of kit which is now almost perfect due to its extensive development cycle. The N5 is a great phone, but the build quality isn't a patch on the 5S and they have had to make compromises with it, where the iPhone has the best of everything, like the camera having a sapphire crystal lens, the fingerprint reader and so on.

I am not giving the Nexus a hard time, its a great phone for the price as is the Moto G. :)

You're right. The 5S is a great little phone, and the Nexus 5 is better. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Tapatalk 2
Try The Thank You Button, Thank You!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
FYI: the Nexus 5 is faster, just as powerful, better screen, better battery, better camera, better everything except native apps. For that, there are endless choices in the play store, plus it's not locked in, SMS works, everything JUST WORKS ON THE NEXUS 5, as well or BETTER as on the 5S. Prove that wrong.

Sorry, there's so much wrong here I couldn't stay quiet. The nexus 5 certainly is NOT better than the 5s. It has a worse camera, worse battery life, is NOT as powerful, and has a lower quality screen. (Albeit one with a higher resolution) I own both and use both, and the 5s is the better all around device.

For the price, the nexus is hands down the best device you can get. But only at that price. If you're comparing it to the 5s or G2 (or even the HTC one), it is certainly not the better device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
As far as ecosystem lock-in, apps are really just a small part of the equation. I've even heard that some developers will (gladly/sadly/reluctantly) refund your purchase from ecosystem X if you email them about switching to ecosystem Y and buying the app again. some. I've never tried myself..

IMO, what really matters, is your content. Your files. iTunes is ok as far as music goes (most of it is DRM-free). Books, movies, etc.. Better obtain them as epub files, or from Kindle (platform-agnostic, for the Kindle books). Movies? well.. Can't help you there, I mean sure there's Google Movies now but I've got Hulu anyway so I haven't wanted to invest in those.

Documents - I kept them as openoffice format for the most part, so they can be opened on my Mac, on future Linux or Windows PCs if I ever go that route, on Android, on Google Docs, probably even on Owncloud's new online doc editing. As an example.

For as long as I can keep my docs and files in an open format that's not owned by a single company, I feel a lot safer.. I like Apple's Numbers and Pages and still use them, but I always share stuff as open documents to ensure long life of my data ;)

So essentially, in my view, if you want to smooth things out and be ready to switch at some point, make sure your content and data aren't locked down so you can transfer/migrate/access it no matter what the platform you use is.

mjs416

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
iTunes is ok as far as music goes (most of it is DRM-free).

iTunes is never ok. I just had an incident this weekend with my wife's ipad. I wish there could have been an apple software engineer sitting beside me so I could have shown him/her exactly how incompetent they are.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I can't agree the Nexus 5 is better than the 5s but the Nexus 5 is great great bang for the buck.

CM on OgPro

If you don't have one, you wouldn't really know its joys...

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, there's so much wrong here I couldn't stay quiet. The nexus 5 certainly is NOT better than the 5s. It has a worse camera, worse battery life, is NOT as powerful, and has a lower quality screen. (Albeit one with a higher resolution) I own both and use both, and the 5s is the better all around device.

For the price, the nexus is hands down the best device you can get. But only at that price. If you're comparing it to the 5s or G2 (or even the HTC one), it is certainly not the better device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is absolutely wrong. It's been attested to by people who've used both that exactly the opposite of what you've stated is the truth. The Nexus 5 is the better phone, and yes, at half the price.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
kinda have a all or nothing mindset. As in, I need to go all apple or all android and never the twain shall meet. But maybe I need to change that mindset and instead focus on which is better for my needs and continually adapt and adjust to that

THIS! You nailed it right here! iOS isn't perfect, nor is any other smartphone OS. Heck, even for you, me, or anyone else there isn't a smartphone OS (or ecosystem for that matter) that's PERFECT. Each one has strengths and weaknesses, and really the best way to do it is to continually be aware of what each ecosystem offers. As each system (and your needs) evolve, you might find the need or desire to change. And there's nothing wrong with that.

For me, I love Android. I love the openness, and I love the fact that I'm not locked into it. Also, (if money is a concern) Android seems to be cheaper. 1) it communicates with Windows (PC) just fine... and Windows computers are usually cheaper then Apple. 2) many of the apps are free compared to iOS 3) accessories are generally cheaper and more universal (I'm thinking specifically of the micro USB plug vs Apple's older 30 pin or newer Lightning connectors)

There are other reasons why Android (for me) is better. BUT

I'm sacrificing stability. iOS works very slick, very smooth, and with very little trouble. Why? Because Apple designs the software, and the hardware. It's locked down so that you can't really tinker with it. Apps are much more rigidly controlled, so they meet quality standards. As such, it's a very user-friendly setup. It simply JUST WORKS.

For me, I don't mind tinkering -- but I'll admit somedays I wish Android's ecosystem was as slick and trouble-free as Apple's ecosystem. Not enough for me to change (yet) but it does happen.

To each their own.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
THIS! You nailed it right here! iOS isn't perfect, nor is any other smartphone OS. Heck, even for you, me, or anyone else there isn't a smartphone OS (or ecosystem for that matter) that's PERFECT. Each one has strengths and weaknesses, and really the best way to do it is to continually be aware of what each ecosystem offers. As each system (and your needs) evolve, you might find the need or desire to change. And there's nothing wrong with that.

For me, I love Android. I love the openness, and I love the fact that I'm not locked into it. Also, (if money is a concern) Android seems to be cheaper. 1) it communicates with Windows (PC) just fine... and Windows computers are usually cheaper then Apple. 2) many of the apps are free compared to iOS 3) accessories are generally cheaper and more universal (I'm thinking specifically of the micro USB plug vs Apple's older 30 pin or newer Lightning connectors)

There are other reasons why Android (for me) is better. BUT

I'm sacrificing stability. iOS works very slick, very smooth, and with very little trouble. Why? Because Apple designs the software, and the hardware. It's locked down so that you can't really tinker with it. Apps are much more rigidly controlled, so they meet quality standards. As such, it's a very user-friendly setup. It simply JUST WORKS.

For me, I don't mind tinkering -- but I'll admit somedays I wish Android's ecosystem was as slick and trouble-free as Apple's ecosystem. Not enough for me to change (yet) but it does happen.

To each their own.

I feel like vomiting. Android just works, too. And faster.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I feel like vomiting. Android just works, too. And faster.

Vomit away. In my experience, on multiple Android devices vs Apple devices, touch response and phone interaction iOS is smoother in scrolling and touch response. I have seen it and experienced it. Others have too. Nowhere did I say Android was slow or slower. Or that iOS is faster or better. Android has come a LONG way, and is rapidly improving and innovating. But when it comes to the whole system working together (apps, OS, and ecosystem) Apple has it nailed. Android has a far greater spread of things that have to work together - which brings more complications and possible issues (different manufacturer skins, multiple devices from those manufacturers, plus a larger spread of OS's to be supported).

It's simple logic that the fewer variables in the ecosystem, the better everything will work together (with fewer issues). THAT is what I meant by iOS "just works". Yes, Android "just works" as well, but not in nearly the same slick and unified way that Apple has it set up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred