Is Apple iMessage sabotaging texts with Google URLs?

vinniemac

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I just observed outrageous behavior while attempting to share a location with someone via SMS. Sending from a Sprint Android phone to a Verizon iPhone, the following text disappeared into thin air and was never delivered:

The Fairport

318 New York Ave, Rochester, PA 15074
(878) 201-3280

https://www.google.com/search?q=The...d566e&shndl=1&source=sh/x/local#istate=kp:xpd

When this became clear, I sent the following text. It ALSO was never delivered:

Fwd: The Fairport

(878) 201-3280

https://www.google.com/search?q=The...d566e&shndl=1&source=sh/x/local#istate=kp:xpd

Finally, I sent a 3rd text, which was delivered correctly:

For the third time: Fwd: The Fairport

(878) 201-3280​

The only possible reason for this would be malicious interference by Verizon or Apple based upon the "g.co" URL. In either case, it is completely unacceptable.

I invite others to test this out to confirm...

EDIT: The forum software is expanding the URLs against my will. the actual URL was:

https:// g.co / kgs/ z6ZFy (added spaces)

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't be since iMessage doesn't touch SMS messages -- it only handles it if it goes through iMessage.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't be since iMessage doesn't touch SMS messages -- it only handles it if it goes through iMessage.

Actually iMessage allows for fallback to SMS when iMessage isn't available. Message goes as green (SMS) instead of blue (iMessage.)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually iMessage allows for fallback to SMS when iMessage isn't available. Message goes as green (SMS) instead of blue (iMessage.)

I know (I have used iPhone in the past when the Plus came out and gf has the iPhone now) but the iMessage service shouldn't be intercepting messages that go through the carrier. SMS strictly goes through the carrier and isn't touched by Apple. Once it falls back if iMessage is unavailable for some reason the phone sends just like any other phone would through that carrier.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If you are messaging an iPhone user then it will never use iMessage and always use SMS. No iMessage did not mess up your link.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
the iMessage service shouldn't be intercepting messages that go through the carrier. SMS strictly goes through the carrier and isn't touched by Apple. Once it falls back if iMessage is unavailable for some reason the phone sends just like any other phone would through that carrier.

Sorry. I guess I was talking about the Messages app then. Maybe the OP is as well?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In the case of the OP, the text is coming from an Android phone, thus cannot be intercepted by iMessage.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition