Small phones or big phones

fixedepsilon

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I really like my S6's screen size (5.1 in)...thinking about maybe going a little bigger on the next phone. Definitely can't go back to a smaller phone though.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think right around 5" is the sweet spot. Smaller than that and the device begins to lose utility for things like maps and web pages. Larger than that and it starts becoming difficult to one-hand and starts becoming cramped for carrying space. (I don't like belt holsters/clips, any more.) 4.5", the size of my current phone (Moto G, 1st Gen.) is the minimum I'd wish to go. 5.5" is the max I'd care to go.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I really like my S6's screen size (5.1 in)...thinking about maybe going a little bigger on the next phone. Definitely can't go back to a smaller phone though.
I originally had a S6 Edge but switched over to an Edge+ when that was released.

I know it wasn't a huge difference but I love the size of the screen and cannot go smaller than what I have now !!

Can't wait for the Note 7

fixedepsilon

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I originally had a S6 Edge but switched over to an Edge+ when that was released.

I know it wasn't a huge difference but I love the size of the screen and cannot go smaller than what I have now !!

Can't wait for the Note 7

The Note 7 looks awesome...wasn't planning on getting a new phone but based on reviews I just might

Connor Price

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I've only ever owned phones 5" or smaller, and I find the handling and how it fits in the pocket to be perfect. However, using a keyboard on a 5" phone is a bit annoying. I'd say somewhere around 5.2 or 5.5 would be the sweet spot. Saying that, I got my hands on a 6 plus a while back and it was actually extremely easy to hold and use. All depends on the build of the phone I guess. I had a Lumia 820 which only had a 4.3" screen but was worse to hold and use than my current phone, the Moto G 2nd gen. Thing was a brick lol.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think 5.5 inch flat screen is the perfect size for me. I wish Samsung would make one of its top of the line models that size. I just don't like the curved edges.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
People mocked me at work when I had a note 2. Now they all user the larger iPhones. I went smaller with the droid turbo and like this size phone. The note 3 and 4 were just too big and the Nexus is just massive. Larger phones for reading PDFs of architecture drawings and GPS, etc. Smaller phones for everyday use.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about the physical size of the phone (within reason - I'm not putting a 12" laptop in my pocket), but I want a computer in my pocket that just happens to make and receive phone calls too. 8GB of RAM, 128GB of ROM and a 6" screen wouldn't bother me. A phone I have trouble reading the screen on (with 20/15 vision)? No thanks. That's my emergency phone - a Motorola V551. It can call 911, and that's about all I'd ever use it for. But my Note 3 in an Otterbox case doesn't seem really large.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Just today I realized why guys would have an issue with the larger phones.

I was standing behind a guy in Starbucks and after he paid using his Note 5 I believe he dropped it when he missed placing it in his short's pocket !!

The large size had never affected me since I simply throw it in and out of my handbag. Rarely do I ever carry it around like most guys do ??

If I didn't use a handbag then I'd definitely go smaller !

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Using my Note 4 for almost 2years now and prefer its large size. Anything less than 5.7inch is not enough, anything above 6.2inch is too much though.

Waiting eagerly for the Note 7.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Just today I realized why guys would have an issue with the larger phones.

I was standing behind a guy in Starbucks and after he paid using his Note 5 I believe he dropped it when he missed placing it in his short's pocket !!

The large size had never affected me since I simply throw it in and out of my handbag. Rarely do I ever carry it around like most guys do ??

If I didn't use a handbag then I'd definitely go smaller !

Interesting huh? I tried walking around with my wife's Note 4 and it is NOT comfortable in my shorts pockets...any of them. It's just not...I can't see how anybody can argue that point...it's just clunky and you know it's there. Now if you say you're willing to put up with the lack of pocket-ability for the screen size and utility of it then I can understand, it make a strong case.

I use my phone primarily for business and I'm considering a Note 7 unless it comes with the edge variant only then I'll consider the Note 4. The size has it's advantages but since it lives a good part of its day in my pocket I'm not sure I won't be tempted to run it over with my truck at times. Until I have a strong opinion one way or another, I'll stick with the G4. That S-Pen sure seems like a real treat though.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes, my 5.2" screen size of my phone feels tiring to hold after a while but to be fair so did my 5" screen phone. I mean like holding for hours at a time. Regardless, it makes me wonder how it is with a 4.7" screen.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Interesting huh? I tried walking around with my wife's Note 4 and it is NOT comfortable in my shorts pockets...any of them. It's just not...I can't see how anybody can argue that point...it's just clunky and you know it's there. Now if you say you're willing to put up with the lack of pocket-ability for the screen size and utility of it then I can understand, it make a strong case.

I use my phone primarily for business and I'm considering a Note 7 unless it comes with the edge variant only then I'll consider the Note 4. The size has it's advantages but since it lives a good part of its day in my pocket I'm not sure I won't be tempted to run it over with my truck at times. Until I have a strong opinion one way or another, I'll stick with the G4. That S-Pen sure seems like a real treat though.
I have no problem carrying my Note 4 which has a case on it in my pockets. I don't wear baggy clothes, I'm just used to having the phone bulge there, it doesn't cause me any discomfort at all.

anon(9637269)

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Very similar to one of the posters above, I have my iPhone SE (4") and the Moto X 2014 (5.2"). I use the SE as my basic phone 60% of the time and as my hotspot (postpaid) while I use Moto X for media consumption. Just like now.
A bit of a challenge though, I have very small hands.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Very similar to one of the posters above, I have my iPhone SE (4") and the Moto X 2014 (5.2"). I use the SE as my basic phone 60% of the time and as my hotspot (postpaid) while I use Moto X for media consumption. Just like now.
A bit of a challenge though, I have very small hands.

Nice! Do you ever switch your sim around? Also do you carry both phones all the time?

anon(9637269)

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Nice! Do you ever switch your sim around? Also do you carry both phones all the time?

The SE is carrier locked so I can't, only with the MotoX. And yes, I always carry these two around, they aren't much anyway, both have sleek construction. I envy the one with a Nokia (5") though, I wonder when will Nokia release an Android, I have always been a fan.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on the bezel size for me. The iPhone 6s+ is too big for me because of the bezels, not because of the screen size itself.

If a device has small bezels then a large screen doesn't bother me.

This. My G3 has the same screen size as the iPhone 6+s, but is noticeably smaller because of the bezels.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I like being able to use my nexus 5x one handed, but the fact remains right now that the best phones are huge. Which is why I've owned a note 4, nexus 6p, mxpe, and nexus 6 the most over the past year.

I sometimes have trouble typing accurately on the 5x, but the convenience of one handed use while holding something makes up for it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty