The screen outside CAN'T be this bad for everyone using an N1.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
I just switched last week from a 3GS to a TMobile N1. Yes, I heard about the problems reading the screen in daylight issues, but I never thought it would be THIS bad. On sunny days, can't see the screen.... on cloudy days, can't see the screen. The only way I can even see the screen at all is to block any daylight with my body and even then the screen is terrible (and only somewhat readable). Inside the screen is beautiful, but I need to be able to use my phone outside as well.

I cannot imagine that this is normal for the N1. I cannot imagine that they never see the sun or used the N1 outside in MountainView before it was released to the public.

Is there some kind of setting that at least makes the N1 usable in any type of daylight? I mean, I can understand direct sunlight... I do live in Arizona, but on a cloudy day and it's still useless?

I love the N1, but if I can't use the AMOLED N1 outside than I will be going back to the LED 3GS. :mad:

Any tips?

Last edited:

pnd4pnd

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
yup, i've had my n1 about a week and the screen is my biggest gripe (coming from an iphone). it's basically unusable outside and i'm considering sending it back for that. i'm surprised more people aren't griping about it.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I had heard problems, but didn't know it was that bad... Can others confirm/deny this? Perhaps it's just a bad unit? Either way, maybe I shouldn't be holding my breath for the Verizon N1 - outside usability is quite important to me.

pnd4pnd

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
it's not usable in any direct sunlight. i use it as a golf gps/scorecard which really sucks. you just can't see anything. the iphone is much much better in this respect. as i said i think my unit will go back and i will wait for a device with a more reflective screen.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Great... well, if VZW ever does release the N1 (or Google, or whoever), I'll have to take this into serious consideration. The Droid I tried for a few weeks was pretty decent outside, so I could go back to that, but I'm pretty set on a non-slider phone. Maybe the Desire will be better. UGH this is so annoying, there just doesn't seem to be a good all-around option out there.

Captain Amazing

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the N1, and I don't think the direct sunlight problem is quite as dramatic as some people claim. Yes, it can be a little tough to see the screen in sunlight. I put the brightness all the way up and it is acceptable for me.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
oh it's bad on the Nexus... VERY bad in sunlight... so much so that I'm thinking my days with it are numbered.... now that the EVO 4G (Supersonic) has been shown... and sports a TFT LED screen... that might be just the ticket...

i personally think AMOLED is a bust... if used strictly indoors, cool, but with the summer months approaching, a lot of times I'll be outside.... Google was smart in releasing it in the winter... a lot of people will be getting pissed this summer....

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
has anyone found a good glare reducing screen film, but one that is NOT matte and cloudy like the clarivue POS "anti-glare" screen protectors? those are useless... make the screen look like $h!t

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the N1, and I don't think the direct sunlight problem is quite as dramatic as some people claim. Yes, it can be a little tough to see the screen in sunlight. I put the brightness all the way up and it is acceptable for me.

and watch your battery drain down like 20% per hour... yeah, that's awesome...

as a Nexus owner, had mine for 2 months... the sunlight problem is not overblown... it's a HUGE problem... in fact, it's downright insane....

i'm pretty sure i will ditch my Nexus once the EVO 4G shows up.... since i'm contract free, it would be no problem to switch....

UNLESS... there's some really REALLY good anti glare screen protector that comes out... right now, there isn't a good one... I tried the clarivue "anti-glare" ones... nothing more than a matte finish... makes everything look cloudy.... and it sucks.... need something that is truly anti-reflective, maybe polarized, but smooth, not matte or brushed....

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I was actually outside today for some meetings, and I had problems reading the screen. Its very hard to read with the brightness turn all the way up.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
i just stumbled upon a screen protector that might help... got one (pack of two) on order... NuShield... had to get the "cut to fit" version, as no Nexus One pre cut ones... but oh well... small price to pay if this actually works half as well as claimed...

Nushield

Nushield

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
i just stumbled upon a screen protector that might help... got one (pack of two) on order... NuShield... had to get the "cut to fit" version, as no Nexus One pre cut ones... but oh well... small price to pay if this actually works half as well as claimed...

Nushield

Nushield

It's good to see I'm not the only person having this problem. I was beginning to think maybe I just had a defective phone.

Please let me know if the screen protectors work, if not I'm going back to my iPhone. :mad:

KCphotog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Out of the many phones I have had there are only a few that worked well outside. Just about any BB and the iphones. The N1 is not great but its still usable and a trade off that I can live with for such a nice screen.

I find it really easy to tap the button to bring up full brightness and turn my back to the sun. Yes... it sucks to have to do this but there are very few phones out there that you can use in the glaring sun without getting washout.

I am going to try a few things that I think will fix this issue quick and cheap without sacrificing brightness or clarity.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
Out of the many phones I have had there are only a few that worked well outside. Just about any BB and the iphones.

So what you are saying is that the only 2 phones that work better outside are the iPhone and the BlackBerry. These are the two main competitors for Android and the N1... I guess as long you are are better than everyone, except for your main competition then everything is ok. Nice. :rolleyes:

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
honestly, I think this issue is getting blown up to big. I am a school teacher and would primarily use my phone indoors. Maybe it is just me, but I don't consider this to be an issue. Sorry, not hating but appreciating an awesome phone.