Question about buying nexus 4

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Well, I want to dip my toe in the android ecosystem and I thought the nexus 4 would be a great way to do it.

But I do have some questions before I completely decide on it:

1. I have a iphone 5 that I purchased in October. I have AT&T and am obviously on a brand new 2 year with them now. My question is can J just put the iphone 5s SIM card into the nexus 4 and I'm good to go? Is their any logistics things I gotta deal with AT&T? Of is it literally just like getting a brand new phone and all that matters is the SIM card?

2. If my data plan is a iphone 5 one (meaning its a 4G LTE plan, how will this transfer to the nexus 4, which does not have 4G or LTE? Will I at least get the fastest 3G available on the nexus 4?

3. There's obviously no way to get a second SIM card so I can keep the original in the iPhone and just use both, right?

4. I would also like to get impressions from you guys how much you like the bexus 4. Have you used a iphone before? How does it compare?

5. Will I get the most enjoyment out if android if I have interest in rooting or hacking it? I prefer to keep things stock. I'm going to be coming from iOS, so I'm just curious how android land is.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your answers.

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
1. Depends. The iPhone 5 uses nano-SIM. The Nexus 4 uses micro-SIM. So if you have an adapter, you can just swap the SIM. If not, you may have to get AT&T to issue you a micro-SIM. If they give you a new SIM, you can be sure that they?re going to deactivate your old SIM.

2. My best guess is yes. On T-Mobile, they don?t distinguish between 4G and 3G plans. Not sure if that?s the same for AT&T but I?m guessing it?s yes.

3. Nope. Like I mentioned before, AT&T is definitely going to deactivate your old SIM if they issue you a new one.

4. You?re going to want to read this An iPhone lover's confession: I switched to the Nexus 4. Completely.

5. This depends on personal preference. Stock Android is already infinitely more customizable than iOS. Most people are fine with it. But others want more. An Android with root access is infinitely more customizable than stock Android. It?s getting hard to find things that you CAN?T do on Android. That?s how open things are.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Everything has been pretty much answered in the one post...

Other than all that, I own an iPhone 5 & Nexus 4. While the 5 is nice, IMO you won't be able to look at it once you've used the Nexus for a solid week or 2, LoL.

The one thing you might miss though (among the only iOS features I like) is GLOBAL Badge Notifications (those little red #'s). It's not the easiest thing in the world to set up, but you'll be happy to know Android can do it too...since (at least for me) once you get use to them, you can't go without 'em!
Here's how--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched from iPhone 5 too. If you want to keep the smaller sim (nano) you will have to change the data plan from LTE to hspa. Best way is to call customer service. Since your keeping the nano sim you will need a Sim adapter to work in the Nexus and you can get them off ebay cheap just get a nano to micro adapter.

Sent from my Nexus 4

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Well, I want to dip my toe in the android ecosystem and I thought the nexus 4 would be a great way to do it.

But I do have some questions before I completely decide on it:

1. I have a iphone 5 that I purchased in October. I have AT&T and am obviously on a brand new 2 year with them now. My question is can J just put the iphone 5s SIM card into the nexus 4 and I'm good to go? Is their any logistics things I gotta deal with AT&T? Of is it literally just like getting a brand new phone and all that matters is the SIM card?

2. If my data plan is a iphone 5 one (meaning its a 4G LTE plan, how will this transfer to the nexus 4, which does not have 4G or LTE? Will I at least get the fastest 3G available on the nexus 4?

3. There's obviously no way to get a second SIM card so I can keep the original in the iPhone and just use both, right?

4. I would also like to get impressions from you guys how much you like the bexus 4. Have you used a iphone before? How does it compare?

5. Will I get the most enjoyment out if android if I have interest in rooting or hacking it? I prefer to keep things stock. I'm going to be coming from iOS, so I'm just curious how android land is.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your answers.

1. I had a normal sim with ATT, 8 months still left on contract. Then, i bought Nexus 4, all i had to do was go to ATT store get the micros sim and get it activated.
using that sim on my nexus 4 now.

2. Even though iphone 5 is 4G LTE you have to be on LTE area to get the signal. with Nexus 4 you will get 4G(HSPA+) which is what i am getting now..much faster than 3G

3. see above post by vietalogy.

4. I love my nexus. I don't own a iPhone but i have used it often. many of my friends have it. One of my close friend is doing the same thing what you are doing now.
He had an iPhone 5. sold it and bought a nexus 4. He did it after he saw my Nexus 4

5. you can do a lot without rooting unlike iPhone. i would say rooting is for advanced users.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I really hope LG and google can get this supply issue handled soon. I honestly think this thing could be a slam dunk for android if people can actually get ahold of it.

Honestly, I don't think I'm gonna miss LTE tha touch because AT&T dosent even have that much LTE coverage anyway. My only fear would be they release a NEXUS 5 phone very soon that way better than the 4. But since it'll more than likely be unlocked I guess it won't be THAT big of a deal if they do. As I can just buy the new one outright.