"Fallen" N4

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Pretty bummed today so just looking to vent and for a bit of advice. Yesterday, I left my phone in a stall in the men's room at work (like a jack@ss). It was kind of a sh*tty chain of events (pun intended :p). I was the only person in there (so nobody to ask if they saw it or anyone) and the lights went off. I guess I rushed on out, washed up, and left in a hurry to make a 1pm meeting. An hour later after the meeting, I realized my pocket was terribly empty. I dashed back to my building, which has secure access to each floor (so only a few men could use that particular men's room), and found nothing. My beloved, beastly AOKP PUB and Franco'd N4 gone...NOOOOOOOOO!! Haha. Well since I left it in a prestigious corporate men's room with rather slim access I figured I'd just leave a note on the door with my contact info, leave a note with security, and impatiently await the call that some nice gentleman found and returned my phone. After a day, no such luck. Of course the first thing I did was call it. Right to voicemail. Hmm wtf. Maybe Tmobile coverage that occasionally drops in this concrete bunker was to blame(very few and far between...but hopeful). I knew my battery was around 80%. After a few calls over the next few hours, and Lookout not being able to find it via GPS, I knew some b@stard with ill intent had his grimy hands on my N4 and immediately powered it off. I love tinkering with my devices, but I'm not the kind of person with their face always buried in their phone. I'm still amazed at how much I miss it lol. A bit like a lost pal, but much more in the useful sense. It was obviously my way to contact and be contacted for both business and personal, but also an alarm clock, my favorite music/radio for car and getting ready for work, Google Now alerted me for extra traffic, my "books" and movies, and to check out anything that may be blocked at work :D That's just the stuff I've looked for in the last few hours. Kind of crazy how much mobile tech has become wrapped in our daily lives (well, at least mine). Anyway. I will be a launch day buyer of the next Nexus, so I'm deciding if I should get another N4 from google (for support and warranty) or pick up a mint used one for a bit less. What do you guys think?

(some)People suck!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's not a good situation at all. I would be really bummed as well...As a precaution, make sure you change the password to your Google account and any other services associated with that device. Simply changing the account password will disconnect your account to that device and prevent access by the person(s) whom have your phone...

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Damn unlucky dude.. Any security cameras near the men's room? The nexus 4 is such a value for money device I couldn't recommend any other phone to you right now.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Did you have a pass code lock on it? Hopefully no one can access your info. I would just buy a used N4 at this point if its cheaper. Whatever cheap alternative you can use until October/November I suppose. I'm on my 3rd N4 cuz I keep breaking 'em so I know the feeling of being without your phone for a while haha

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Lookout should be able to help you eventually find it especially if the unit is off and turned back on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 using Tapatalk 4

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
First thing I put on my phone is Cerberus. You can take a picture of anyone using your phone, wipe the phone remotely, have it start ringing a very noisy alarm that the holder can't shut off, etc..... Well worth the few dollars cost. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus&hl=en&token=0xBnv8aZ

Unfortunately, none of those apps work once the device is powered off. None. I have Lookout that will show it on a map via gps, make it scream, wipe it, take a picture of whomever unlocks it....NOT if it's powered off. Since the theif powered it down immediately, they were well aware of this fact.