Nexus 5 Wireless Charger

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on this forum. I've been enjoying my Nexus 5 for a while now (ordered it on release day). I've been very happy with my purchase and the phone has been serving me well so far! I use a Ringke Ultra Slim case with it which looks very much like the Nexus back with a nice soft touch coating without adding a lot of bulk.

Anyways, I found a deal on Rakuten website for a wireless charger (Link listed below). While I always felt wireless charging is a gimmick, I still wanted to give it a shot!

QI Wireless Charger Charging Pad Mat for LG Nexus 4 / Nokia Lumia 920 820 / HTC 8X & DNA Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Iphone 4, 4S and 5 BC252B - Rakuten.com Shopping

The charge works great with Nexus5 even with the case on! Yes, the phone does get hot a bit. That being said, I've not had any issues. I would recommend this to anyone interested in chargers at the moment!
Here are few sample snapshots as well...

CAM00002.jpg
IMG_20140111_160707.jpg

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Go to http://www.vivealive.net/ and get one of theirs. On sale for $19.99. I have the Versa II and LOVE it!!! Fast charging....

6ezu9e6a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Wireless charging was one of those things I couldn't for the love of everything holy figure out why anyone would use. Until I got a wireless charging plate (on Amazon for $20 - I got 2, and figured I could return if I didn't like it). Now I have no idea how I lived without it. It IS "just" a convenience, but it is just so awesome not to have to plug in the phone every time. I just put it on the charger when I put it down and boom it charges.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think with wireless charging and bluetooth headsets for both calling and listening to music, they can begin to eliminate the need for open ports in the device, and then that would aid in making a device near completely water/dust proof.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure if you guys are looking for recommendations, but I got this one, and I love it:

Amazon.com: TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Price is not bad. You can use it in portrait or landscape. It lets the phone rest at a nice angle.
There are some reports of that charger causing the phone to overheat when charging if you keep the phone in landscape, I believe. I'd be careful with it and watch it when charging.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There are some reports of that charger causing the phone to overheat when charging if you keep the phone in landscape, I believe. I'd be careful with it and watch it when charging.

I think it was reported that was caused by placing the phone on charger higher up, which would activate the upper coil....then phone would slide down and hit up the lower coil. With both going it got hot. If you start out resting at bottom the problem was not there.

At least that's what I read, FYI....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing!

I picked up a Zens charger for work and it is great! I don't have another to compare it to, and it's my first wireless charger ever, so couldn't say if it's better or worse than others. But for what it does and the price I can say it's been a great accessory.

SaskNewfie

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I've not had any issues. I would recommend this to anyone interested in chargers at the moment!

View attachment 100419
View attachment 100420

I was reading up on this one and seen other complain about the brightness of the light and loudness of the beeping...do you find it distracting? Just curious because I'm a light sleeper and most likely those two things would drive me insane all night...lol.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I think it was reported that was caused by placing the phone on charger higher up, which would activate the upper coil....then phone would slide down and hit up the lower coil. With both going it got hot. If you start out resting at bottom the problem was not there.

At least that's what I read, FYI....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate a bit about what you mean by coils, and the upper one, etc? I really do not know how this stuff works. If you have the time to post a link to a source, it would be greatly appreciated.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the play store version and it is pretty awkward to be honest. The magnet is so powerful that you almost feel "plugged" in and defeats the purpose of a wireless charge all together. I have to use two hands to separate the charger from the phone, or just pick it up stuck to the back...which is the same thing as being plugged in. Also, the phone has to be placed on just the right spot or it will not charge. I use it b.c I paid for it, but I would not ever recommend it.

When I am trying to place the phone on the right spot, I just hover my phone over the charger until it is pulled up to the phone by the super strong magnet. It I was buying again I would get this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051R4ECM...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3391053

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the OEM wireless charger from the Play store and haven't stopped using it since. In fact, I'd be surprised if all manufacturers didn't adapt this feature.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the play store version and it is pretty awkward to be honest. The magnet is so powerful that you almost feel "plugged" in and defeats the purpose of a wireless charge all together. I have to use two hands to separate the charger from the phone, or just pick it up stuck to the back...which is the same thing as being plugged in. Also, the phone has to be placed on just the right spot or it will not charge. I use it b.c I paid for it, but I would not ever recommend it.

When I am trying to place the phone on the right spot, I just hover my phone over the charger until it is pulled up to the phone by the super strong magnet. It I was buying again I would get this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051R4ECM...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3391492

Do you realize the Nexus charger has a reusable adhesive back that firmly sticks it to the table so you don't have to use two hands when lifting it off the magnet?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38