Battery Life Down with 5.0

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I think a few other people have noticed this, thought I'd make a thread. Battery life is way down. Hardly using the phone, projecting me at 12 hrs total off battery.

Screenshot_2014-11-19-16-21-13_zps17a82aff.png

chrome seems to be using a disproportionate amount of battery - i'm at work all day, honestly i hardly look at my phone, let alone be on chrome on the phone.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think there is an update planned to counter this. I just flashed 5.0 myself, so I can't chime in on my battery life.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is way down also. I just switched on Battery Saving Mode before I powered down and put it on the charger so I'll see if that does anything.

KC1988

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
As for myself, I was on L preview for about a week and battery life was better than KitKat. Flashed the L factory image and battery life is worse than KitKat. Go figure.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
When I had originally sideloaded the update through ADB, I felt like battery life was slightly down from my expectations. For an hour or two it would barely suck up any battery then for 45 minutes it's like the gates opened up and my phone would lose a lot then it would slow down for a bit. As part of that sideloading I had rooted to back up some files (which disabled my Good for Enterprise app). The phone wasn't rooted anymore (apparently Lollipop is going to be harder to root, but less necessary to root?) but "thought" it had root. As a result I decided to flash the factory image (side note: thank you to anyone who has ever spent any time developing tools, applications, instructions or anything relating to Android development. I've found myself using these things on countless occasions and it makes something that sounds so difficult be so easy). After flashing the factory image I must say battery life has been noticeably better than my KitKat days. I'm at 69% (phone came off the charger around 6:00AM) and I've used the phone a bit more while re-setting up my Good for Enterprise and such. Hopefully that keeps up.

IIRC any time a major update hits the phones though, battery life usually takes a hit for a few days before improving. I remember that with even the minor updates to KitKat (and all my older phones).

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I was going to post this in a new topic. Battery life is bad when the screen is awake. I have my brightness set to 10 but it seems if I wake up the screen type lets say this post and then check the battery it already went down 1%. I don't know if I should do a factory reset?

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
IMO MY battery problems have always been due to buggy apps draining the battery.
App developers will have to respond to LP.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My battery is definitely worse with 5. I have my Nexus 5 on battery saving mode and I still just barely get what I got with KitKat. I'm sad because I'll have to do so much backing up (my whole phone!) to do a factory reset on the off chance it might help. Lollipop isn't running smoothly on my N5 and there's lag and it's just not as good as it should be. I hate to be a complainer because there are things I like about lollipop but it's just not running well on my phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My battery is definitely worse with 5. I have my Nexus 5 on battery saving mode and I still just barely get what I got with KitKat. I'm sad because I'll have to do so much backing up (my whole phone!) to do a factory reset on the off chance it might help. Lollipop isn't running smoothly on my N5 and there's lag and it's just not as good as it should be. I hate to be a complainer because there are things I like about lollipop but it's just not running well on my phone.
Where is the lag occurring? I'm stock, unrooted 5.0 and don't see any lag or stutter. If anything, there's been a few problems with Facebook, but that's likely a result of the app itself not the update/device.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Where is the lag occurring? I'm stock, unrooted 5.0 and don't see any lag or stutter. If anything, there's been a few problems with Facebook, but that's likely a result of the app itself not the update/device.
With every app, opening is sort of "jerky", could be because I reduced the animations but they were a bit too slow previously. I don't know how to explain it but my phone just doesn't feel buttery smooth. I probably need to do a factory reset but it will be a huge pain backing everything up. :(

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
my phones battery has been performing better on 5.0 compared to 4.4.4. The battery indifference must be app related, the ones with worse battery life must have apps not optimized for L...thats the only logic i can think of.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Did a factory reset and still my battery definitely drains quicker while the screen is on with only 10% brightness. If I go into a app and read something quickly then close the screen it will go down 1% almost everytime. Not pleased with this update. I wonder if that materiel design junk is draining the battery quicker and if so is there anyway to disable it.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This is nuts. I opened Chrome loaded one website read something quickly and my battery went down again 1%. It is now 81%.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
chrome seems to be eating my battery too - barely used it, im serious. im at work all day, i hardly open chrome:

Screenshot_2014-11-19-16-21-13_zps17a82aff.png

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
With every app, opening is sort of "jerky", could be because I reduced the animations but they were a bit too slow previously. I don't know how to explain it but my phone just doesn't feel buttery smooth. I probably need to do a factory reset but it will be a huge pain backing everything up. :(

Is this because you're on battery saving mode? When my phone entered battery saving made it seemed to turn down the performance in general, animations turned off etc. It made a very noticeable difference.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

ordurves

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I can also say switching from dalvik to ARM runtime has made a noticeable difference in my battery life. I am stock unrooted

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is this because you're on battery saving mode? When my phone entered battery saving made it seemed to turn down the performance in general, animations turned off etc. It made a very noticeable difference.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App
Yes, it was much worse on battery saving mode. After charging it earlier and not on battery saving, it is running far smoother now. I still might wipe the cache partition but at least it doesn't look like a factory reset is necessary. 😊

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member