Any one upgrading to the nexus 5x from the nexus 5?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've ordered the 6P. The 5X is practically the same phone as the 5 except for the wireless charging so there isn't a reason to buy it unless your 5 is sick. My 5 is sick, the wireless charging on my 5 doesn't work anymore and the speaker volume has become very low (I think the cause for the speaker volume is M not hardware, if it were hardware the speakers wouldn't work at all). The battery life is also poor and it's not possible to buy a new battery, I tried last summer, bought one from Amazon, it was significantly worse than my old battery. So for me it's new phone time.

When I buy a new phone I want an upgrade not just a replacement and the 5X has no significant improvements over the 5. The processor is less than 10% faster, the screen is the same, the storage is the same and the RAM is the same. It doesn't have QI (neither does the 6P) so that's a step back. The only thing that's better is the camera, but I have no complaints about the 5's camera, I think it takes great pictures. The 6P has a bigger higher def screen and the processor is 40% faster than the 5's, it has 3G of RAM instead of 2G and it's available with more FLASH (I ordered the 64G version although truth be told I've never had a problem with the 32G on the 5). I'm worried that it might be unwieldy but I figure that I'll adapt to it. The important thing is that I can pretend that it's a real upgrade.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I really like my Nexus 5 but my next phone will allow me to conveniently swap batteries.

Good luck with that. Very few phones have quick swap batteries now. And now it seems we can't even get a replacement battery for the Nexus 5 either. http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/592413-nexus-5-battery-replacement.html I don't mind taking apart a sealed phone and replacing an aging battery every few years, but I have to be able to BUY a battery to do it.

cooperb21

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I've ordered the 6P. The 5X is practically the same phone as the 5 except for the wireless charging so there isn't a reason to buy it unless your 5 is sick. My 5 is sick, the wireless charging on my 5 doesn't work anymore and the speaker volume has become very low (I think the cause for the speaker volume is M not hardware, if it were hardware the speakers wouldn't work at all). The battery life is also poor and it's not possible to buy a new battery, I tried last summer, bought one from Amazon, it was significantly worse than my old battery. So for me it's new phone time.

When I buy a new phone I want an upgrade not just a replacement and the 5X has no significant improvements over the 5. The processor is less than 10% faster, the screen is the same, the storage is the same and the RAM is the same. It doesn't have QI (neither does the 6P) so that's a step back. The only thing that's better is the camera, but I have no complaints about the 5's camera, I think it takes great pictures. The 6P has a bigger higher def screen and the processor is 40% faster than the 5's, it has 3G of RAM instead of 2G and it's available with more FLASH (I ordered the 64G version although truth be told I've never had a problem with the 32G on the 5). I'm worried that it might be unwieldy but I figure that I'll adapt to it. The important thing is that I can pretend that it's a real upgrade.
Fingerprint sensor, Alot Better Camera, Bigger display, Bigger battery, 10% faster only maybe but alot better GPU i think if you play any modern games on your phone you will notice an increase in your performance big time.

One thing i want to add is this upgrade was more just to modernize the nexus 5 to appeal to people buying a new phone not just upgrade. Now the nexus 5x is a good price point and is closer to alot of the competition. If you dont think its worth the upgrade don't do it... not even the 6P is that big of a jump and you will likely lose out on performance in games and battery with a QUADHD.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Fingerprint sensor, Alot Better Camera, Bigger display, Bigger battery, 10% faster only maybe but alot better GPU i think if you play any modern games on your phone you will notice an increase in your performance big time.

Speaking for myself: I will never use a fingerprint sensor, I am fine with the existing camera, I don't want a bigger display (that I why I was waiting for a 5, not another huge 6), and don't care about the GPU. So the ONLY thing that is an "upgrade" on the 5x for me would be battery. That is what I was looking forward to- a bigger battery and 64GB of storage, while not losing any existing features in a form-factor that was the same as before. the 5x is a total failure in almost everything I wanted.

If you dont think its worth the upgrade don't do it...

And there is the issue. I don't really WANT to upgrade, but based on my research, the Nexus 5 is a ticking timebomb since there doesn't seem to be a way to obtain a decent replacement battery :( Nothing like planned obsolescence for a device that otherwise works great.

myfavthing

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Interesting replies. Prior to posting this thread, i was assuming that it was a natural "upgrade" for nexus 5 user to move on to the 5x.

My nexus 5 has pretty much died on me as well, battery life couldn't survive a day and nfc is dead as well. I happened to see a local mobile retailer selling limited sets of brand new nexus 5 32gb from where i am at for around US$290 but a nexus 5x(32GB) would cost me about US$590 ( after shipping and tax) to where i am located. I was wondering if the difference in price was worth paying. The 6p (32GB) would cost about US$640 but i am not sure i am able to get used to the size. Trying to decide which device i should go for :confused:

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I actually upgraded to a Note 5. The 4gb of RAM, high res screen (with split screen) and fast processor are great. Plus I have t mobile jump and since the new nexus phones aren't being sold through carriers I felt like the note was the best upgrade option right now. I haven't experienced any problems with touchwiz and with a material theme it looks enough like stock Android to my liking.

Posted via the Android Central App

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If my N5 dies I'm getting the 5x. There are a lot of really good phones out there... Most are too big for my liking.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
As above, anyone? And why?

Yes. Why? Basically because I just wanted it. I wanted one to see if it would live up to N5's legacy. And I wanted to have a device with Qualcomm's 64bit processor driving Marshmallow to see any differences to the Tegra K1 in my N9. Nexus Imprint, Band 12, and better camera are just bonus perks included in the package.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886