Why won't my Nexus 5 turn on?

A

AC Question

My Nexus 5 will not turn on :(

I was casting my screen using the FIOS app to my Chromecast. All was going well for a while when my Nexus (running 6.0) got funny. The notification menu became see through and strange and I could see the icons underneath. The screen went black and has not turned back on since. When I try to power up, I get a vibration every 5 or so seconds. I have tried holding power and every combination of volume buttons. I have charged it for an extended period of time. I have tried trickle charging it from my computer (the backlight is illuminated when it is plugged into my computer, but the screen is blank). I imagine I had some sort of hardware failure, but I'm not sure which part to blame. I would replace with individual component that is faulty if I knew which part I needed (battery?, motherboard?, screen?, something else?). Thank you for your insights!!

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: My Nexus 5 will not turn on :(

The vibration every 5 or so seconds when you turn it on makes me believe it is turning itself off and then back on again every 5 seconds. Do you think this is happening? If so, it could be a faulty battery, or if worse, it could be a motherboard issue.
If it were only the LCD, the vibration issue wouldn't be happening every 5 seconds. The phone would boot up without a picture on the screen, and you'd get notifications as normal, just not able to actually see them.
Taking it to a local uBreakiFix store, or FonDoctor, or Solaris, or any other repair shop, could check it out for you. For example, at uBreakiFix, we take it in as a free diagnostic and then call you when we figure it out and have you approve the costs.

My advice, if you want to do it yourself instead of a shop, is to try a battery first. It's a cheaper and easier process.