Is Android lacking when it comes to tablet optimized apps?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Please do. :p

Come on. I know you're better than that.

You can't honestly say that when it comes to tablet-optimized app versions, Android isn't behind iPad.

The average consumers know the names. Facebook. Twitter. eBay. TripAdvisor. etc.

Older, still relevant: Why Android Tablet Apps Suck and the iPad Wins: An Illustrated Guide - CBS News for Android Tablets - Slideshow from PCMag.com

I want Android tablets to succeed. And to help with that, (third-party) app developers really need to make better versions of their Android tablet apps.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't know why all apps aren't tablet optimized. I'm a novice developer with apps out on Google Play (a ton of themes and a couple functioning applications), and today I spent two hours figuring out how to optimize an app for tablets and I succeeded. If I can do it (and I'm not even majoring in programming) Facebook and the rest should be able to do it.

It's so incredibly easy that (for example): I am developing a forum app for a website. Because I don't know how to read data from the server, I'm just using a mobile webview to display the forum (I have been working with the website owner to get a good mobile theme). The app has some functions outside the web view but that's irrelevant. The app weighs in at 0.7 MB and with barely any work for me I was able to get the holo look on even non-ICS devices... it was very easy. Furthermore, by simply adding a modified XML to a layout-xlarge-land, I can get the app to display a completely different layout to tablets in landscape. After I figured out what to do (also involved tweaking some code) it works perfect....

The point of all this is that optimizing for tablets is not hard at all. If I can do it, real devs can.:cool:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally I don't know why all apps aren't tablet optimized. I'm a novice developer with apps out on Google Play (a ton of themes and a couple functioning applications), and today I spent two hours figuring out how to optimize an app for tablets and I succeeded. If I can do it (and I'm not even majoring in programming) Facebook and the rest should be able to do it.

It's so incredibly easy that (for example): I am developing a forum app for a website. Because I don't know how to read data from the server, I'm just using a mobile webview to display the forum (I have been working with the website owner to get a good mobile theme). The app has some functions outside the web view but that's irrelevant. The app weighs in at 0.7 MB and with barely any work for me I was able to get the holo look on even non-ICS devices... it was very easy. Furthermore, by simply adding a modified XML to a layout-xlarge-land, I can get the app to display a completely different layout to tablets in landscape. After I figured out what to do (also involved tweaking some code) it works perfect....

The point of all this is that optimizing for tablets is not hard at all. If I can do it, real devs can.:cool:

Don't slight yourself. You are a real dev.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Come on. I know you're better than that.

You can't honestly say that when it comes to tablet-optimized app versions, Android isn't behind iPad.

The average consumers know the names. Facebook. Twitter. eBay. TripAdvisor. etc.

Older, still relevant: Why Android Tablet Apps Suck and the iPad Wins: An Illustrated Guide - CBS News for Android Tablets - Slideshow from PCMag.com

I want Android tablets to succeed. And to help with that, (third-party) app developers really need to make better versions of their Android tablet apps.

Yeah, I am. Lol

They can use some work.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The only app that I had to manually side load (copied from my phone) is Ameritrade
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd&token=aO7NLjb2
which is kinda shocking considering how popular this broker is.

All other apps work just fine. I don't have any social media accounts (except LinkedIn) so maybe I'm not a heavy user.
Very happy with N7 and I am sure app support will only get better overt time. We are getting at least one new Nexus tablet next week so developers will have more incentives. Also, keep in mind that Android tabled market share has recently increased to almost 50%.

cgk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
We have both an ipad and an N7 in the house, I like my N7 but a lot of the apps are terrible - spotify for example doesn't even have a landscape mode without downloading a third-party app to force rotation.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the problem is that even some of the tablet optimized apps, aren't optimizes for the 7 inch screens. Instead we get the phone versions. Still, on apps like Tapatalk, it might not be optimized but unlike the iPad when it came out, the app doesn't blur or actually stretch, it adapts. This means we see more text than you would on a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7

bas.androiddev

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The solution to this is actually very simple.

For all of those apps that you have that are not "tablet optimized" to your liking, it is probably because of developer laziness. For those apps, go rate them, remove one star and explain why in the ratings comments. Explain that you will re-add the star when the app gets tablet optimized. Ratings matter to developers.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
As someone who is planning to buy a Nexus 7 (or 10 depending on what Google presents in their upcoming event), I am wondering if when I get the tablet I wil end up using smartphone apps scaled to fit my tablet for the most part as opposed to apps that are made and optimized for tablets.

I keep hearing this complain about how Android lacks when it comes to tablet optimized apps and how iOS has the clear advantage here. So, how are things really? Is there a serious lack of tablet ready apps or do most of the common apps already have a tablet version?

What has been your experience as Android tablet user?

i have never once felt like there is a lack of solid apps on the Nexus 7. Pretty much all my needs have been met.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

For all of those apps that you have that are not "tablet optimized" to your liking, it is probably because of developer laziness. For those apps, go rate them, remove one star and explain why in the ratings comments. Explain that you will re-add the star when the app gets tablet optimized. Ratings matter to developers.

Good point.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
From my experience playing around with the ipad. The apps that aren't for tablet are stretched and look horrible. While the tablet specific ones are well done they also cost more. With my nexus 7 all my apps don't look stretched and they're not tablet specific or more expensive

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Google recently released more guidelines for developers so they can optimize apps for the tablet form. We just need developers to take advantage of those guidelines. Someone earlier said to downrate the apps and state why on Google Play. Seems like a good idea as well as simply contacting the developer and questioning why they don't have an tablet version. If they get enough messages, that may wake them up into optimizing their app.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I just opened every app on my Transformer Prime and only had 4 apps that did not look optimized. Unfortunately, the big ones were the AC app and Facebook which has been a real sore spot for a while. There could have been some that weren't optimized but I couldn't tell the difference. As for file managers there are lots of tablet optimized ones available. I don't have tons of productivity style apps but all the ones I am using fit the bill. Most games worth anything are optimized.

I think that we are in a growth area in Android tablets and we have to be patient for crying out loud. Apple has had the clear advantage in the time they have had to develop their ecosystem, but lets face it... Android is making very good progress in this area. Everyone is so impatient these days its almost at epidemic proportions. Google knows where we are at and is working with developers to make change. Anyone looking for a tablet needs to look at what they will be doing with it. There are many very specific apps for the ipad that are not available for Android, but these are specialized. Things like apps for musicians for example. If you have a specific need then do your research on app availability first. It's no different than buying a Mac or PC. I can't buy a PC then complain that I don't have garage band.

For most of us a tablet is for entertainment. I have found that with the exception of the ones mentioned earlier there are not a massive amount of general consumer apps that are not available on Android. At least for me. Or at the very least provide a reasonable alternative. I do know that the benefit of an android device can add certain functionality that is also better than then ipad. How files are handled in attachments, sharing etc. Playing various video files all seem to be easier for me on Android. For some people this doesn't matter but for me I want to know I can plug an SD card into my Transformer Prime Keyboard dock, or add a mouse or USB stick. These are things that far outweigh a few under optimized apps.

I think that the addition of the Nexus 10 will only make developers wake up and realize there is a reason to get their apps optimized for Android. In another year these discussions will be a thing of the past.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
From my experience playing around with the ipad. The apps that aren't for tablet are stretched and look horrible. While the tablet specific ones are well done they also cost more. With my nexus 7 all my apps don't look stretched and they're not tablet specific or more expensive

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Its funny you mention this. I was just thinking about this earlier. Because android is using a single operating system for both tablets and phones they will have better scalability than ios. Non optimized apps look brutal on an ipad where they still can look okay on Android.

Another huge point is that many apps that you buy for your phone will not need to be purchased twice for your tablet. Some will scale nicely for the tablet or install the optimized version. On ipad you pay twice and always pay more than android. Ipad apps are usually way more than then phone app you already paid for.

Android N7 = premium hardware and specs. Less expensive to buy and less expensive to use. This is something no ipad user can say.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As someone who is planning to buy a Nexus 7 (or 10 depending on what Google presents in their upcoming event), I am wondering if when I get the tablet I wil end up using smartphone apps scaled to fit my tablet for the most part as opposed to apps that are made and optimized for tablets.

I keep hearing this complain about how Android lacks when it comes to tablet optimized apps and how iOS has the clear advantage here. So, how are things really? Is there a serious lack of tablet ready apps or do most of the common apps already have a tablet version?

What has been your experience as Android tablet user?

I think this is a good video to watch. I think his guy does a great job of discussing the pros and cons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grcHWykzN1I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Sending an email is even a better idea because most people leave very vague comments and it's sometimes hard to figure out what they mean. Rate it to motivate them and email them so they know exactly your concerns.

Google recently released more guidelines for developers so they can optimize apps for the tablet form. We just need developers to take advantage of those guidelines. Someone earlier said to downrate the apps and state why on Google Play. Seems like a good idea as well as simply contacting the developer and questioning why they don't have an tablet version. If they get enough messages, that may wake them up into optimizing their app.

I've been playing with 7-inch scaling and its more difficult than a 10 inch tablet because android doesn't have a clear identifier in the code to say if its a 7 inch tablet. For instance a ten inch tablet will return true on when you have code asking if its xlarge, but seven inch tablets fall into the large category with phones so if you just set a different layout for large screens, there's no clear way to distinguish between a galaxy note (5in) and a Nexus 7 because they both have the same pixels and screen size. And no don't expect developers to read device names off the build.prop, that's a bad idea. I know I said the other day that coding for tablets was easy, and it is for 10 inch tabs, but its a little more difficult with the n7 because its almost phone sized and the OS (AFAIK) doesn't have a way to distinguish between a simple way to read if its a tablet or a huge phone, other than reading specific device models.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing with 7-inch scaling and its more difficult than a 10 inch tablet because android doesn't have a clear identifier in the code to say if its a 7 inch tablet. For instance a ten inch tablet will return true on when you have code asking if its xlarge, but seven inch tablets fall into the large category with phones so if you just set a different layout for large screens, there's no clear way to distinguish between a galaxy note (5in) and a Nexus 7 because they both have the same pixels and screen size. And no don't expect developers to read device names off the build.prop, that's a bad idea. I know I said the other day that coding for tablets was easy, and it is for 10 inch tabs, but its a little more difficult with the n7 because its almost phone sized and the OS (AFAIK) doesn't have a way to distinguish between a simple way to read if its a tablet or a huge phone, other than reading specific device models.

I'm not a developer, so I was not aware of that issue. That does complicate matters. Maybe that's feedback for Google to handle as there may be something they can add to the code that helps identify the device.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing with 7-inch scaling and its more difficult than a 10 inch tablet because android doesn't have a clear identifier in the code to say if its a 7 inch tablet. For instance a ten inch tablet will return true on when you have code asking if its xlarge, but seven inch tablets fall into the large category with phones so if you just set a different layout for large screens, there's no clear way to distinguish between a galaxy note (5in) and a Nexus 7 because they both have the same pixels and screen size. And no don't expect developers to read device names off the build.prop, that's a bad idea.

That, and user preferences are going to differ. It's be nice for developers to come up with tablet optimized versions and allow me to turn it on and off myself, maybe using the large/xlarge to set a default but with a checkbox in options allowing me to override it.

The good thing for users about android is that the number of screen sizes is myriad and varied, so most developers and the ecosystem itself is designed with scaling in mind. I may get whitespace on a phone app, but I get large, clear fonts and a useable app.

One of the design limitations of the iPad mini was that the screen logically had to be one of the existing sizes pixel-wise or a multiple of same so the existing ecosystem of apps still looked good. In android, that pain has already happened. There are more screen pixel counts in android than there are total models in the iOS ecosystem.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a good or bad thing on either side, only that iOS has a fixed number of resolutions and it's hard to introduce a new one but easier to design for the list of existing ones. Apps designed for a phone scale poorly to a newly introduced resolution. But a smaller number of extant resolutions = less effort expended to make sure the app looks decent at all of them = more likelihood that developers will design a phone and tablet ui.

In android, an app designed for a phone will scale relatively gracefully, but it will still be an app designed for a phone, so you'll end up with large print and whitespace. And a lot of developers don't want to go through the effort of dealing with so many resolutions and making sure the app looks good in most of them. They design for phone, it is functional and useable if not perfect on a tablet.. ship it!

I'd love to see the ability in native android to override the large/xlarge setting so I can make all my apps default to tablet ui if I want. I'd love even more if developers allowed me to override that app by app.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The phone versions work fine on a (7") tablet. The functionality is there. No one seems to be disagreeing with that. The issue is they haven't been optimized for the tablet's screen. If you think it's a non-issue, great. But still, you can't deny the fact that as of today Android is lacking (relative to the iPad) when it comes to tablet-optimized apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non