Wireless lockout.

fargleblargen

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how else to describe it. When I leave my N7's wireless on for an undetermined amount of time, every other device that has already pulled a lease and had been working is unable to reconnect to the network. As soon as I turn wireless on the N7 off, data starts to flow to the other devices again.

Please tell me there is something I can do! Thanks all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

kurosenpai

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its your router setting. Maybe you only allowed one wireless connection on a single time?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how else to describe it. When I leave my N7's wireless on for an undetermined amount of time, every other device that has already pulled a lease and had been working is unable to reconnect to the network. As soon as I turn wireless on the N7 off, data starts to flow to the other devices again.

Please tell me there is something I can do! Thanks all.

Just to get this out of the way, I'm assuming you've power-cycled the router already to soft-reset it?

That is very strange. Do the other devices still show as "connected" to the wireless access point (your router)? In other words, does it show that it is connected yet the Internet just doesn't work OR do the devices show no wireless connection at all?

Assuming the former is the case, there are a few things that could cause that off the top of my head...either something is messing with the DNS settings or the N7's wifi is interfering with the other devices or something else...

Any additional info you can provide would be helpful

fargleblargen

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just to get this out of the way, I'm assuming you've power-cycled the router already to soft-reset it?

That is very strange. Do the other devices still show as "connected" to the wireless access point (your router)? In other words, does it show that it is connected yet the Internet just doesn't work OR do the devices show no wireless connection at all?

Assuming the former is the case, there are a few things that could cause that off the top of my head...either something is messing with the DNS settings or the N7's wifi is interfering with the other devices or something else...

Any additional info you can provide would be helpful

I have power cycled many times. Other devices do show as connected but their connection just doesn't work until in turn the N7 wireless off.

Also no new devices can connect even though they see the network broadcasting its name, until I turn the N7 wireless off.

I've tried setting up the wireless connections manually on every device but the N7. Maybe I'll try that next and just give it a static IP.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have power cycled many times. Other devices do show as connected but their connection just doesn't work until in turn the N7 wireless off.

Also no new devices can connect even though they see the network broadcasting its name, until I turn the N7 wireless off.

I've tried setting up the wireless connections manually on every device but the N7. Maybe I'll try that next and just give it a static IP.

See this thread here... maybe static IPs are the answer?
Issue 42340 - android - Extremely odd nexus 7 wifi issues - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Just out of curiousity, what type of router do you have?

x Pervy Sage

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

I was having a similar problem.

With router set to N only, Nexus refused to connect to internet.
With router set to B/G/N mixed, Nexus connects fine but other wireless devices in the house are unable to connect.
With router set to G only, all devices work great... although I'm stuck with using Wireless G speeds.

However, I don't really mind the G speeds as it's still plenty fast for anything I do on a tablet or my other wireless devices. Whenever any heavy downloading is done... it's done on a wired PC... so no big deal.

I don't know if it's an issue with the wireless router I have or what... but eventually down the road I will upgrade to a quality wireless router. Right now i'm using this POS router/modem combo my Internet service provider gave me.

So conclusion: Try setting your wireless router to G only, N only etc... and see which one works for you and allows ALL your devices to connect without problems.

EDIT: Just switched over to N only and now it's working for some reason. But yeah... BGN mixed only allows the Nexus to connect and nothing else. So try one of the "ONLY" modes on your router.

Last edited:

fargleblargen

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
A firmware update was available so I've upgraded from 1.0.0.25 to 1.0.0.44. Quite a few revision jumps and I'm rather embarrassed I didn't do this sooner!

I will update in a few days but I'm betting this fixes the issue as I can't see how Google would have released the device with such an obvious issue.

fargleblargen

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It seems that the firmware update has solved the issue. Apologies for not posting sooner, I didn't want to jump the gun.

This does bring another question to light.

I wonder what technology changes in the last 5 years are causing the firmware to have to be updated for such a strange issue. Especially because this is the second unrelated device that has bad this issue with a combination of Windows, iOS, RIM and android devices on the network.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It seems that the firmware update has solved the issue. Apologies for not posting sooner, I didn't want to jump the gun.

This does bring another question to light.

I wonder what technology changes in the last 5 years are causing the firmware to have to be updated for such a strange issue. Especially because this is the second unrelated device that has bad this issue with a combination of Windows, iOS, RIM and android devices on the network.

Not sure, it could have to do with different devices using different wireless technology and frequencies to connect...?