uhh what's the point of kitkat?

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I mean i installed it, but some of the features I really wanted aren't even there. For instance,

How come on the nexus 5, the menu buttons aren't transparent. I still see the the black line ont he bottom 3 buttons.

Also, I want apps to take advantage of full screen mode, so far, i.e. quickoffice, how come I still see the stupid status bar of android and quickoffice. I mean I only have 7" why is valuable real estate wasted on the menu bars, status bar of android and status bar of quickoffice. like seriously, you know how hard it is to read a textbook on a 16:10 screen and on top of that, you lose even more space with that stupid black menu bar

edit: wtf, apparently the "google edition launcher" is only a nexus 5 original. I bought a damn nexus to get the proper updates for a good amount.

Seriously makes me want to switch to apple. 3 years of update and nexi can't even get 2 years

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I mean i installed it, but some of the features I really wanted aren't even there. For instance,

How come on the nexus 5, the menu buttons aren't transparent. I still see the the black line ont he bottom 3 buttons.

Also, I want apps to take advantage of full screen mode, so far, i.e. quickoffice, how come I still see the stupid status bar of android and quickoffice. I mean I only have 7" why is valuable real estate wasted on the menu bars, status bar of android and status bar of quickoffice. like seriously, you know how hard it is to read a textbook on a 16:10 screen and on top of that, you lose even more space with that stupid black menu bar

edit: wtf, apparently the "google edition launcher" is only a nexus 5 original. I bought a damn nexus to get the proper updates for a good amount.

Seriously makes me want to switch to apple. 3 years of update and nexi can't even get 2 years

You're not the only one disappointed that the Nexus 5 features set a false expectation. Not sure what you mean by "nexi can't even get 2 years" though. If you're referring to the Galaxy Nexus, that seems to be an issue with Texas Instruments getting out of mobile and not supporting their chipset properly.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
just saw the new update. if you search android police you can see that apparerently google's trying to get rid of the launcher and core it with the search app and make it avaliable through the play store.

pretty ****ty that google didn't do that from the beginning. you can install the apk from android police and voila, it'll work and be pretty legit until google shoots out hte official search/launcher combo.

apparently it's google's way of getting rid of oem skins

edit: just noticed a bug. Clear all apps and hit the menu key. font is still in blue and not white

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
just saw the new update. if you search android police you can see that apparerently google's trying to get rid of the launcher and core it with the search app and make it avaliable through the play store.

pretty ****ty that google didn't do that from the beginning. you can install the apk from android police and voila, it'll work and be pretty legit until google shoots out hte official search/launcher combo.

apparently it's google's way of getting rid of oem skins

edit: just noticed a bug. Clear all apps and hit the menu key. font is still in blue and not white
That's not a bug. There's still plenty of Holo Blue in the OS. The idea with the grey icons in the notification is to be a neutral color that doesn't clash as badly with the design of other apps.

You can easily flash the new launcher if you haven't already, which will give you 99% of the Nexus 5 experience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's an article about KitKat changes for developers: Android KitKat | Android Developers

Just because the UI doesn't change much doesn't mean there aren't significant improvements under the hood. I would venture to say that Android has reached a really nice overall interface at this time, so I personally wouldn't want them to change it much. Big changes don't always work well (coughcoughiOS7coughcough), so I think it's best not to expect big changes to the look and feel of Android. As long as it's working fast, smooth, and bug-free, I'm happy!

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's not a bug. There's still plenty of Holo Blue in the OS. The idea with the grey icons in the notification is to be a neutral color that doesn't clash as badly with the design of other apps.

You can easily flash the new launcher if you haven't already, which will give you 99% of the Nexus 5 experience.

my point is why didn't google do that fromthe getgo instead of making it a cough* nexus exclusive* cough cough

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Does 'threatening' to go to Apple really add anything of value to your post?

I HATE holo colors. I don't like the UI feature of the change screen thing in the upper left of apps. I don't like black and white menus, like in system settings. And my hate of Google forcing Google+ down my throat at every turn , with my full name, knows no bounds, to the point that I'm going to create a completely bogus Google account to use on android.

But none of those diminish the value, or my enjoyment of the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
What do you expect this is a tablet that's a phone. They're obviously going to run on different versions of kit Kat with different features

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mostafakhalaf