nexus battery life-truth

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
hello all, so i have been getting about 4 to 5 hours of "screen time" on my nexus 9. Overnite (8 hours ish) i will lose abt 7-8%. and it takes about 4.5 hours to recharge from under 10%. Im used to my old ipad ( i know, i know u can start the name calling) where i would get 10+ hours screen time and almost no battery drain when idle. Are my stats normal for this device? I got no crazy apps running in the background, i do have location on all the time. any thoughts, would really like to know how other peeps battery been holding up

Update: last night over 8 hours dropped 16%! no apps running and the weird part is if u look at the % of things used they don't even add to 100. gonna factory reset se wht happens.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Aside from draining the battery to the point that you're going to have to replace it in about a year, yes. Never let the battery drain past 40% charge left if you can help it (especially with devices you can't just pop the back off and replace the battery). See Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries.

Android phones, as a rule, get less battery life than iPhones. Setting location to Power Save unless you need the GPS might save some additional battery. (So might keeping any radio you're not using - wifi, mobile data, Bluetooth - turned off, anbd keeping the screen brightness as low as you're comfortable with.)

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
hello all, so i have been getting about 4 to 5 hours of "screen time" on my nexus 9. Overnite (8 hours ish) i will lose abt 7-8%. and it takes about 4.5 hours to recharge from under 10%. Im used to my old ipad ( i know, i know u can start the name calling) where i would get 10+ hours screen time and almost no battery drain when idle. Are my stats normal for this device? I got no crazy apps running in the background, i do have location on all the time. any thoughts, would really like to know how other peeps battery been holding up

Unfortunately this is normal and Nexus 9 is one of those device which you can't help looking at the battery % every few minutes while using it and agonized at how incredibly fast the % is dropping. I came from an iPad too :-[

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Android tends to let apps run on and off all the time. Check out the Apps/Running menu. From time to time various apps will be running. Not sure if there is a way to stop some of them.

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup...when i had the nexus 9, i would get about 4-5 hrs screen on time and charge it everyday...it would take about 5 hours to charge. Traded it in for the ipad air 2 and my battery last 3 days with 11 hours usage. Only takes about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to charge too!

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
If you're complaining about battery life, don't get the keyboard folio. I was in a meeting yesterday from 8-1 and my battery was at 99% when I arrived. Used the table the entire time and when I left it was at 12%. All I had open was Google Docs (1 sheet for notes), Skype & Chrome to search 1 website then it was closed.

I can't image Skype obliterating the entire battery, my guess is bluetooth.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Depends on display setting, they set it to 200 nits, but you need auto for normal usage. The auto brightness is not good though and people probably turn it off.

Maybe but similar settings should be set for iPad and other tablets during their testing. Regardless of settings, I dun see how it is possible for Nexus 9 to beat iPad by 2 hrs.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Others have complained about battery life - you're not alone. I had experienced great battery, then one day the battery drained faster than the charger charges.

Eventually I forced stopped or completely disabled apps i wasn't going to need in the next few weeks.

what a difference that made!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch