won't the number of Project Fi subscribers go down because of the high prices of Google Pixel phone?

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
won't the number of Project Fi subscribers go down because of the high prices of Google Pixel phone?

I purchased a Nexus 5X for $179 when B&H Photo had it on sale a few months ago. I only bought it in order to use Project Fi, especially for int'l travels. To be honest, the 5X is probably the "worst" phone I've ever owned. (compared to all of my other phones which are all flagship phones from Samsung, Moto, and even LG) However, I still love the 5X because it really saves me a truckload of $$$$ when I'm overseas.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't impact it; the 5X and 6P are both still available for Fi, so the available choices just increased.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Shouldn't impact it; the 5X and 6P are both still available for Fi, so the available choices just increased.

they are? I placed an order for another 5X in the Project Fi store last week.. Got a cancellation email on Friday that said "no longer available" :( Guess I'll have to look elsewhere to find a remaining stock.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
they are? I placed an order for another 5X in the Project Fi store last week.. Got a cancellation email on Friday that said "no longer available" :( Guess I'll have to look elsewhere to find a remaining stock.
Oh I guess I hasn't looked in over a week. They're all 4 listed on the site today with pricing, but there isn't a way to confirm in stock without going through a lot of the account setup stuff.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Which phone did you order? I notice the 32GB Nexus 5X (both white and black) appear to be available to order. There also appear to be White and Black Nexus 6Ps available. The interesting question, to me, is Google still getting more built or are they just selling off the left over stock of phones?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I purchased a Nexus 5X for $179 when B&H Photo had it on sale a few months ago. I only bought it in order to use Project Fi, especially for int'l travels. To be honest, the 5X is probably the "worst" phone I've ever owned. (compared to all of my other phones which are all flagship phones from Samsung, Moto, and even LG) However, I still love the 5X because it really saves me a truckload of $$$$ when I'm overseas.

The fact is, if you have an unlocked phone, and it works on T-mobile, you can use your fi sim card in it. My galaxy s7 edge that i bought from Verizon works just fine because it was unlocked as all of their phones should be. Now, if you don't have a Google phone, you'll only be able to use T-mobile towers. You wont automatically switch from T-mobile to sprint, to us cellular, to wifi. You can still use wifi, but you'll have to manually connect. I checked with fi customer service and they will NOT cut off your service if you are using a fi sim card in a non Google phone.

Goosinurwife

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

u want a used nexus 5x u can have mine for half of what a new pixel plus costs if you want that way i can buy a new pixel plus next month

Manic Monkey

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Which phone did you order? I notice the 32GB Nexus 5X (both white and black) appear to be available to order. There also appear to be White and Black Nexus 6Ps available. The interesting question, to me, is Google still getting more built or are they just selling off the left over stock of phones?

I bought a black 32gb 5X in mid November. The manufacturing date on it was 10/2015, so it doesn't look like they're making new ones. It even came with a card for three free months of Play Music, which has already expired...

magda1342

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I bought my Nexus 6 from Swappa.com for 250. I'd just paid off my HTC m9 id financed with att because they totally messed up my payment plan, but I didn't like my phone at all, so I wanted something cheap. Ive bought two phones from swappa, and have had no issues. You can sell your old phones on there too. I actually didn't know about project fi until I got my Nexus and wondered, what is this project fi app? The rest is history. I felt like I'd cheated the system with buying a used phone, instead of having to finance or buy outright, and then I was able to cut the cord with att, and save myself boatloads of money on my phone bill. This was my first month with project fi, and ive used like 1.20 in data. My phone bill will be 50 bucks cheaper than what I had with att. At that rate, in a year, a new pixel would be pretty much paid for! But I love my Nexus 6, and will probably just wait a year for the Pixel to come down in price, and then buy it used. Or maybe I'll go nuts and finance through Google. With the amount of money I'm saving with project fi I feel like I don't care if the new pixels are more expensive. And the Nexus 5x is about 200 bucks on swappa, of you're looking to get a cheap Nexus 5x.

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I would think so and also their plans are not actually all that great. I think a lot of their customers are located users which are qualify. Also people that want to test out and see which network is the strongest where they go also something I'd be interested in.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Might not. May actually increase. Yiu don't need a Google phone to be on project fi. I bought a pixel and absolutely hated it. A ripoff. So i took my fi sim and popped it into my unlocked verizon galaxy S7 EDGE. All is fine. The only thing you wont get is the network hopping from T-mobile to sprint to us cellular. You stay connected to T-Mobile and public wifi. I called fi customer service to inquire if my service would be cut off because I'm no longer using a Google phone and they confirmed that I would not. UPDATE - ive now got my ZTE axon7 on fi too. Awesome

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Down? You're assuming people will leave Fi because the new phone is expensive.

Their old phones still work.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Their old phones still work.

I'm one of those people who don't sell, trade, throw away, or keep old phones in the basement.

I still have these phones and they are frequently used. I like swapping back and forth, depending on my mood:

Samsung Verizon Fascinate
Samsung Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC Rezound
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G 1st gen
Moto E 1st gen
LG Optima Exceed 2

(in addition to my more current phones, Note 5, S7 edge, LG G4, iPhone 7, Pixel XL)

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
With rumors of the Android One budget phones coming to the US, I have to wonder if they (or at least some models) might be certified for use on Project Fi. It seems like it would be a smart move by Google to add low cost phones to the service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa