Galaxy Nexus AT&T...Questions

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok so after ruling Verizon out I have decided that I want the G Nexus on AT&T because switching carriers is messy. So I just have a couple questions hopefully some people who bough it unlocked can answer.

1. Best place to buy? I read Amazon and it looks like its going for $629. For anyone who bought off of Amazon did you have a return period? Restocking fee?

2. Updates. They come directly from Google I'm assuming, so does that' mean we'll get them before Verizon users?

3. Any out of the box bugs? I played with the Nexus at the Verizon store and it took forever to switch from LTE to EVDO. Of course AT&T uses GSM (HSPA+) so that won't be an issue. Can anyone comment on the signal? Good, bad, eh?

4. Since this is an unlocked phone, is the option in Mobile Networks to use EDGE (2G) ONLY?

5. I'm assuming there will not be an issue switching back and fourth between the iPhone 4s and Nexus as long as one as a micro sim adapter right?

6. I have the $30 AT&T Unlimited Data for iPhone 4s plan so nothing will change right? I'm assuming not since the iPhone 4s is HSPA+ too.

7. I had the Original Galaxy S II for AT&T and actually got slower speeds on it compared to my iPhone 4s. Anyone comment on speeds?

Thanks

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok so after ruling Verizon out I have decided that I want the G Nexus on AT&T because switching carriers is messy. So I just have a couple questions hopefully some people who bough it unlocked can answer.

1. Best place to buy? I read Amazon and it looks like its going for $629. For anyone who bought off of Amazon did you have a return period? Restocking fee?
This is not like buying from a carriers store, I bought mine from an Amazon reseller and have a 30 day return period with the seller, I did not see any mention of a restocking fee

2. Updates. They come directly from Google I'm assuming, so does that' mean we'll get them before Verizon users?
Yes but you may need to relash the firmware, check the threads in this section for details

3. Any out of the box bugs? I played with the Nexus at the Verizon store and it took forever to switch from LTE to EVDO. Of course AT&T uses GSM (HSPA+) so that won't be an issue. Can anyone comment on the signal? Good, bad, eh?
No issues out of the box other than flashing the firmware so I could get my updates direct from Google, after doing this it almost immediately told me I had an update for 4.0.2

4. Since this is an unlocked phone, is the option in Mobile Networks to use EDGE (2G) ONLY?
I don't remember seeing that (sorry I forgot my GN at home today)

5. I'm assuming there will not be an issue switching back and fourth between the iPhone 4s and Nexus as long as one as a micro sim adapter right?
never had an iphone so I don't know, but once you see how smooth a GN is, not sure you will ever want to put it down!

6. I have the $30 AT&T Unlimited Data for iPhone 4s plan so nothing will change right? I'm assuming not since the iPhone 4s is HSPA+ too.
I had no issues going from my Samsung GS2 to the GN, but I wouldn't think so

7. I had the Original Galaxy S II for AT&T and actually got slower speeds on it compared to my iPhone 4s. Anyone comment on speeds?
As I mentioned never had any Apple products, but I did have a GS2, and have had zero issues with either device on download speeds in my area

Thanks

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for answering my questions. Now when I get the phone, do I have to root or anything to flash? I've rooted before so I'm kind of familiar with it. So updates don't come OTA?

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You don't have to, but you may need to reflash the firmware. Updates do come via OTA, I've only received 1 taking me from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No but it looks like all the big sellers, Expansys, Negri, Amazon are all around the same price ($595 to $600) I would pick the closest seller to you with stock and the cheapest freight.
Also look for discount codes/coupons I know that Negri usually has a $20 or $30 code/coupon floating around that can be found and they are in IL

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Most of the questions were answered already...but to answer the "where to buy" question, I got two of them from Amazon.com. The first was defective so I returned it within my 30 days and got my refund. The second was fine.

I personally try to only buy stuff on Amazon that are fulfilled by Amazon. It'll say it on the product page. A lot less risk that way even if it's a few dollars more.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Most of the questions were answered already...but to answer the "where to buy" question, I got two of them from Amazon.com. The first was defective so I returned it within my 30 days and got my refund. The second was fine.

I personally try to only buy stuff on Amazon that are fulfilled by Amazon. It'll say it on the product page. A lot less risk that way even if it's a few dollars more.

Thanks for responding. I actually ordered from Expansys because the price was right. Can't wait to get it.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
No but it looks like all the big sellers, Expansys, Negri, Amazon are all around the same price ($595 to $600) I would pick the closest seller to you with stock and the cheapest freight.
Also look for discount codes/coupons I know that Negri usually has a $20 or $30 code/coupon floating around that can be found and they are in IL

Negri is in Las Vegas, NV. They have a coupon code for $35 off most items, excluding the $595 titanium GNex. It works for the white one though, so I ordered the white. It came to about 615 bucks after the discount. It was worth the extra 20 bones to not have it get confused for the Verizon version.

Davidjacobs21

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Negri is in Las Vegas, NV. They have a coupon code for $35 off most items, excluding the $595 titanium GNex. It works for the white one though, so I ordered the white. It came to about 615 bucks after the discount. It was worth the extra 20 bones to not have it get confused for the Verizon version.

Im also interested in the white one. What is the 35 dollar coupon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa