EVO Overclocking Thread

jasonmoore

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out or is anyone working on overclocking the evo? I am coming from a palm pre and they reworked the kernal to overclock. Just wondering if anyone is going to take a crack at the evo?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out or is anyone working on overclocking the evo? I am coming from a palm pre and they reworked the kernal to overclock. Just wondering if anyone is going to take a crack at the evo?

I know i will be trying it out and im sure couple other people will be,but we need source from htc.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it really takes much figuring out, would just take a dev to change the flag for perflock in the config file for a kernel (i believe).

I know dev's like TheKeithNewman and gbhil arent opposed to doing it but i remember Keith saying they were waiting for the official kernel source from HTC.

Last edited:

jasonmoore

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, I know it dramatically changed my experience on the pre and the evo is even faster than my overclocked pre. If someone overclocks this phone it will be faster than my laptop.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
the guys over at androidforums are swearing that OC widget works to underclock when the screen is off thus extending battery life a lot. they have a sticky if you wanna go read it. i stand unconvinced it changes anything with the clock speeds. i have tested it with the screen on and it never changes the speed to anything other than stock and definitely not to my inputs. snake oil i say. for now at least.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
can you underclock with the screen on? i keep testing that to see if it works and i haven't seen it. as such i am still wary of it working with the screen off.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
over or underclocking is not possible without a patched kernel. We have the needed patches, but I'm not about to build a kernel for general release without the official source from HTC.

No idea what's going on with the overclock widget, but it's not scaling the cpu.

The htcperflock entry in the Evo kernel is set to yes, which stops things like this from over-riding HTC's own cpu scaling governor.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
over or underclocking is not possible without a patched kernel. We have the needed patches, but I'm not about to build a kernel for general release without the official source from HTC.

No idea what's going on with the overclock widget, but it's not scaling the cpu.

The htcperflock entry in the Evo kernel is set to yes, which stops things like this from over-riding HTC's own cpu scaling governor.

IDK Angry Droid Person... *Love the Avatar* but my battery *along with many other settings i've done* is a lot better now... I always have the Screen off so I can only attest to this being the reason... I'm at work its 2pm i have the music playin thru the Evo for the past hour and its only moved down from 85% to 82%...

I'd say its working pretty well

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Very possible that it's doing something. But I can be 100% sure it's not scaling the cpu when the screen blanks.

You use Linux, monitor the stats on your Evo in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ through adb both with and without overclock widget running. You'll see the oc widget app does nothing to the cpu.

HTC has their own system, and part of that system intercepts calls to write new values to the cpu frequency table, and says no. Pull the kernel config from your evo and you'll see that htcperflock is set to yes.

What I AM curious about is what exactly might be happening. Is it a big old placebo effect, or is using the oc widget app doing something unintended that has a side effect on the battery life/cpu voltage

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Lol, not trying to give them big head's or anything but "Angry Droid Person" aka gbhil and Beezy are both ROM developers ... I would take their word as gospel when it comes to this :p

I was talking about his Avatar...

Its an Android Yelling... "Angry Droid Person"

and I'm not arguing... but im also stating my own findings...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I was talking about his Avatar...

Its an Android Yelling... "Angry Droid Person"

and I'm not arguing... but im also stating my own findings...

And please don't stop!

By all the reports, it looks like using the widget does SOMETHING. It can't do what it's intended to do, so figuring out exactly what's going on is sort of important ;)

Roman G

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Just curious here but when I run system panel, without a overclock widget or setcpu, my cpu is scaling the whole time I am monitoring it. Now if it is scaling while I am watching it, I would assume it is scaling it while it sleeps.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
And please don't stop!

By all the reports, it looks like using the widget does SOMETHING. It can't do what it's intended to do, so figuring out exactly what's going on is sort of important ;)

Thx... More Findings... I got home from work 70% Battery...

Heavy use starts... tons of youtube over wifi

2 hours worth of just BSin

around 7 pm I Turned the Screen off battery at like 20%

Just got a call hung up Im at 18% its almost 2 hours later...

I think I can now Assume that The Widget is doing a little something...

Its better than nothing at least

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07