starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be permanent

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: starting may 27th grandfathered plans will no longer be perma

They'd essentially still think I was using the OV correct?
Yes, they still see your phone as an OV.
However, you won't get Wimax, any support, be breaking Terms Of Service, and you may be breaking laws.

Interesting, will the EVO 4g get WiMax speed under VM without the 35-and-up plans?
Sprint has said there will NOT be a charge for 4G, however, you still need a new phone, which will bump your price to $35. Not because of 4g, but because you are losing grandfathered status.

Screw the htc evo 3d it whatever the hell they are getting. Truimph is just as good and when I root it and rom it, it will be 2x better than the htc evo 3d.

I doubt they will be to much better then the triumph. Maybe slightly better
images

Reactions: colonelcack

frostyon420

Banned
Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Think about it...it took forever just for virgin to adopt an android phone. Which was an older Droid phone to begin with. So do u REALLY think their next batch of phones will be too good. Its virgin mobile for crying out loud. Hand me down phones that sprint played out. Don't expect some hardcore spec'd phone.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I doubt they will be to much better then the triumph. Maybe slightly better

Think about it...it took forever just for virgin to adopt an android phone. Which was an older Droid phone to begin with. So do u REALLY think their next batch of phones will be too good. Its virgin mobile for crying out loud. Hand me down phones that sprint played out. Don't expect some hardcore spec'd phone.

What is that smell? Oh its troll bait and it stinks.

Seriously tho :D. Any new phone will be better than the Triumph ya know why? BEACUSE IT WILL HAVE A 4G RADIO. Every phone that is 4G capable is better than the triumph. PERIOD.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Seriously tho :D. Any new phone will be better than the Triumph ya know why? BEACUSE IT WILL HAVE A 4G RADIO. Every phone that is 4G capable is better than the triumph. PERIOD.

Also... do the new phones that they bring on HAVE to suck? Why? Does the optimus V suck? No way, its one beast of a phone, imo, it rivals phones "better" than it. Sure its small, but SIZE DOESN'T MATTER. My friend with an unrooted htc thunderbolt looks at my phone in awe asking why everything is so smooth... how dare anyone make fun of my tiny OV.

//this rant was not directed at you Eollie
//mini-rant

world_indo1

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

ICS is a daily driver on the Evo 4G at this point, not sure about the 3D, I don't monitor that forum. There are a few minor bugs, but nothing most can't live without, and it is much further along than the OV ICS.

As much as I like the OV, I won't be going back, my Evo is just too awesome.

Do you think you will still keep updating Harmonia (possibly to an ICS stable)? I tend to like a more barebones experience. And even if you don't, would you be willing to teach me? I am a padawan in need of a jedi master.

world_indo1

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Not necessarily true, considering 4G usually resides in urban areas. I live out in the boonies and my 3G isn't even all that great.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Also... do the new phones that they bring on HAVE to suck? Why? Does the optimus V suck? No way, its one beast of a phone, imo, it rivals phones "better" than it. Sure its small, but SIZE DOESN'T MATTER. My friend with an unrooted htc thunderbolt looks at my phone in awe asking why everything is so smooth... how dare anyone make fun of my tiny OV.

//this rant was not directed at you Eollie
//mini-rant

Eh..yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. OV is decent, it does everything i ask...but if you've ever used a phone with a new CPU in it, they don't even compare. OV feels like fisher price after getting a feel for anything with a qualcomm 1ghz+ processor.:p

it's night and day. Again...ov not a bad phone...it just can't compare. I notice everything slow down if i have anything running like pandora or navigation. takes the keyboard longer to pop up...key presses are delayed, everything has lag on it. again, not unusable...but noticeable. you don't get that with a new cpu, or at least not if it has the bloatware removed.

I think of the OV as the toyota corolla of the phone world. A reliable daily driver...but nothing flashy you'd wanna brag about lol

As for if size matters...well...i think leslie ann might be the best one to tell you that :p

Last edited:

joshlete

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

OV is a excellent beginner phone. Thats it though. As much as I love the OV, it is getting too slow for my taste. I hunger faster speeds, quicker launches. My siblings all have new(er) phones and I get so jealous. My main issue is the screen size. It is far to small for me now.

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Ummm... The Virgin Mobile Optimus V is only as good as it is because of the community which grew up around it. Take away the awesome developers here and at Xda, and suddenly the phone is much less worthwhile. The secret sauce is nothing VM did, and everything that people like Blart, Jerryscript, and Leslie, Bobzhome, tvall, Gannon, curiousnoob, obijohn, picasticks, the guy who did Romdious rom, the guy who did the nameless rom, the that ain't sense guy, etc etc...

Doing the above list from memory so I apologize if I forgot anyone or got their names wrong. Point is that it is the dedicated community that makes this phone special, not the hardware.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Reactions: brotherswing

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, but if you think the Triumph holds a candle to an Evo 4g or 3D, you haven't used either. Sure they may look similar or have similar performance, but over time, you will start to notice many little things that make a big difference.

FIt and finish, longevity of materials, durability, screen quality, all are going to be different but are not always obvious at the start. Evo's use a solid aluminum inner frame, higher end cameras, and has a GPS that actually works. The 8 meg camera on my Evo is better than my 10meg Canon point and shoot. Ambient light sensor? An actually decent speaker? Aftermarket support? Developer support? It all matters.

The OV is actually BETTER than it should be, and it's a matter of LG making a solid device and the devs working their magic. For the money, almost nothing can compete. It is not however, a premium device or even mid range, or anything close to it, it's a very solid low end phone.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Truimph>HTC EVO 3d

Grandfathered plan and same processor. Who cares if evo has a 8mg camera or is on 4g or its on ics...just rom it and there is wifi everywhere.. Triumph can do anything the evo can do or whatever the fu.k virgin mobetrayers decide to get.
Ya know what I would rather VM and sprint increase the coverage area. I would comeback to VM and the Optimus V. I left because I HAVE to have service in certain areas. So your precious Triumph would suck even more than it does.

This isnt the place to debate how much better a phone is than another. This kind of debate can go on forever. Or atleast until people get tired and report the posts to the mods.

kakapopo

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

i have fantastic coverage can play videos smoothly. I even online game on my optimus v too. Screw 4g 3g is where its at

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Fwiw, I have a OV, and I have a Nexus one. The N1 is bigger, faster, and really cool....

Lost my train of thought

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's comparing apples to mangos. The Optimus V on launch day cost $149.99. How much do any of those other handsets cost, even used? I don't have the budget for a better phone, and that's fine. My OV does everything I ask of it, I just need to be patient from time to time.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

If people want to save money ($120 a year imo isn't chump change for a college student)
a) keep your OV it should keep the grandfathered rates or
b) get a new t-mobile compatible phone and stay under 100 minutes on their $30 / month plan

Lots of talk on here at slickdeals verifying the same issues I've been having with VM data.
HEADS UP: Virgin Mobile $25 grandfathered plans going away... - Slickdeals.net

Long story short, if another mobile company offers something better for cheaper I do not see why it's unreasonable for people to be upset IF they thought this was a $10 across the board. But it's not. So be happy the OV grandfather is still in effect.

When it goes, I'll buy a new phone and head towards t-mobile. No whining necessary. I'll love my OV until the day it should be retired.

Also a side rant, I loathe people who insinuate I'm a cheapskate when I clip coupons and save $1 or so on tax or unnecessary services. A postal worker had the gall to do that when I didn't want to purchase proof of purchase and literally implied I was dumb for not shelling out more. Frankly I'm the type of person who'd rather NOT buy a soda and fries when all I want is a burger. I see nothing wrong with that and it adds up since I don't have money problems.

That's the problem with North Bay and this stigma against frugality. Despite their crappy downtown neighborhood, and their effed up prices for crappy stuff, there's this upper crust snobbery that's far stronger than in places like Hong Kong (where people, CEO or not, dig frugality). Anyways that's another long rant.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

It's comparing apples to mangos. The Optimus V on launch day cost $149.99. How much do any of those other handsets cost, even used? I don't have the budget for a better phone, and that's fine. My OV does everything I ask of it, I just need to be patient from time to time.
While initial cost was way different...
You can buy a working Evo 4G for the same price as used OV's, and mint condition ones for the same price as a new OV.

We aren't getting the 4g though.
Excellent condition used Evo 3d's are selling for well under $200.

Used CDMA contract phones lose value fast because there are so many of them, and even those with bad ESN's for non-payment can be cleared and re-sold.

Reactions: brotherswing

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Hell yeah. Ready to see the new line that comes. Hoping for 4G enabled or if the iPhone/Droids move in to VM.

The Droid lineup will never be on VM. That is a Verizon trademark lineup.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000