[ICS][4.0.4][4/2] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ICS][4.0.4] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

Wow... lunesta is no joke. I don't even remember posting last night.

I wonder what else I did that I have no recollection of.

:confused:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I did wipe, but it said copy of su when i load it and it says restore root but it fails.

I'll keep on looking. I suggest looking over what that other member did a page or so ago. Hopefully he/she replies with a bit more elaboration ;).

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Wow... lunesta is no joke. I don't even remember posting last night.

I wonder what else I did that I have no recollection of.

:confused:

I dated a woman who was on ambien. She used to text me at night with a bunch of random gibberish which made absolutely no sense and was horribly misspelled.

The next day she would look thru her messages and tell me she has no memory of texting me.
Eventually she started leaving her phone in the bathroom at night.

Reactions: oxymoron

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

The people that are losing root with Rootkeeper installed, is it maybe because they're wiping the device and thus losing the functionality of Rootkeeper?

I only wiped cache and Dalvik cache and still lost root - despite having a SU backup done with Rootkeeper prior. I believe the issue is that for ICS 4.0.4 a modified SU binary is needed. When I flashed this modified SU binary (see link in a previous post) in CWM I regained root.

Reactions: dmmarck

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

One thing I noticed after flashing the update was that every now and then when I click on recent apps, Maps shows up oO. Anyone having this issue as well?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed after flashing the update was that every now and then when I click on recent apps, Maps shows up oO. Anyone having this issue as well?

Totally normal. Open maps, let it find you, then close by backing out. Even if it appears open its not active and its affect on your system and battery is nil.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: pryanni and dmmarck

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Tried that with wugs toolkit, for some reason cwm and su don't stick.

I also originally unlocked and rooted my Gnex (running ICL53F, ICS 4.0.2 then) with WUG's toolkit. I read somewhere that the SU binary installed during this process doesn't work with ICS 4.0.4. You therefore need to flash the modified SU binary in CWM. I already did that and it works just fine (in both IMM30B and IMM76K).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Totally normal. Open maps, let it find you, then close by backing out. Even if it appears open its not active and its affect on your system and battery is nil.

This. Let it find you/update.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I also originally unlocked and rooted my Gnex (running ICL53F, ICS 4.0.2 then) with WUG's toolkit. I read somewhere that the SU binary installed during this process doesn't work with ICS 4.0.4. You therefore need to flash the modified SU binary in CWM. I already did that and it works just fine (in both IMM30B and IMM76K).

So after you updated, you simply rebooted back into recovery, flashed the modified su.zip, and boom, root?

Sounds simple enough. I appreciate linking to the binary!

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Hmm. Let me hunt around. I know it's been hit or miss, and because of how new it is it might take a minute or two.

To the user that maintained root--can you link up to the SU zip and perhaps elaborate?

If that user doesn't reply I'll PM them ;)

Could be. I'd also caution to make sure people don't actually lock the device by accident. That would be bad news bears as well ;).

Oh yeah here's another thought--in the zip, take out the recovery folder so that CWM does not get overwritten. The user who had success with the flashable SU did that. So to maintain root, i'd try that:

(1) Before renaming the .zip, go in there, delete the recovery folder (there are 4 folders within the zip, one of which is recovery; if you have CWM--updated, of course--you have a fine enough recovery ;))

(2) Rezip it up, but be sure NOT to compress it (compression = not flashable :(), rename it to update.zip.

(3) Make sure the SU.zip the other user posted (it's linked) is on your SDcard, as well as the update.zip.

(4) Follow the steps as normal--then get back into CWM and try flashing the SU.zip.

Yeah removing the recovery folder inside the ZIP archive helped me to keep CWM recovery. I already did that when I updated from ICL53K to IMM30B and now with ICL53K to IMM76K. I use Total Commander on a Windows 7 computer. It allows to read and write directly inside a ZIP archive - so I didn' have to rezip anything.

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

So after you updated, you simply rebooted back into recovery, flashed the modified su.zip, and boom, root?

Sounds simple enough. I appreciate linking to the binary!

Yes that is what I did. I still had CWM because I had removed the recovery folder inside the ZIP update. The only problem I had was to find out how to boot into recovery without having root :-[ Of course it's done by pressing Volume Up+Down and Power when turning on the Gnex. As soon as menu appears you select recovery via the volume button.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

My results... Unlocked/Rooted/Stock 4.0.2/Latest version of CWM.

100% successful, zero headaches.

I pretty much followed the step by step instructions exactly as posted in the OP. I did not wipe anything (as is usually the habit if you often flash custom roms), and treated the whole process as if it is installing as a normal OTA would.

• Downloaded the .zip, renamed to update.zip, moved to sdcard. (note: i did not remove recovery from the .zip)
  • Installed and ran Rootkeeper and protected su/root.
  • Ran ROM Manger and verified I had the most recent version of CWM (non touch version)
  • Made a backup via ROM Manager
  • Booted to CWM via ROM Manager
  • Installed Update.zip
  • Rebooted
  • Ran Rootkeeper to recover root.
  • Reflashed CWM via ROM Manager

No errors, no hangups. All data preserved (pics/music/apps/app-data/etc).

I have a suspicion that those who're receiving errors or are losing the ability for Rootkeeper to succeed, are wiping out of habit, when in this case you shouldn't be.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Yeah removing the recovery folder inside the ZIP archive helped me to keep CWM recovery. I already did that when I updated from ICL53K to IMM30B and now with ICL53K to IMM76K. I use Total Commander on a Windows 7 computer. It allows to read and write directly inside a ZIP archive - so I didn' have to rezip anything.

Man, I wonder if I can get a tool like that for my Mac. :( If anyone has a good way, let me know and I can rezip an updated file and host it so you don't have to tinker with the recovery folder!

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Didn't have that happening to me before lol:)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

My results... Unlocked/Rooted/Stock 4.0.2/Latest version of CWM.

100% successful, zero headaches.

I pretty much followed the step by step instructions exactly as posted in the OP. I did not wipe anything (as is usually the habit if you often flash custom roms), and treated the whole process as if it is installing as a normal OTA would.

• Downloaded the .zip, renamed to update.zip, moved to sdcard. (note: i did not remove recovery from the .zip)
  • Installed and ran Rootkeeper and protected su/root.
  • Ran ROM Manger and verified I had the most recent version of CWM (non touch version)
  • Made a backup via ROM Manager
  • Booted to CWM via ROM Manager
  • Installed Update.zip
  • Rebooted
  • Ran Rootkeeper to recover root.

No errors, no hangups. All data preserved (pics/music/apps/app-data/etc).

I have a suspicion that those who're receiving errors or are losing the ability for Rootkeeper to succeed, are wiping out of habit, when in this case you shouldn't be.

Excellent work, thanks. That could certainly be it. I'm going to update the OP to reflect this. Thanks!

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I am having problems getting into recovery can anyone help? I lost root after update so I reran the .bat file and regained it enough to give Nova launcher access but I can't see any system folders in ES and now can't boot into recovery. I have tried RM and the Power+volume method, both ways give me the android with the red exclamation point.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I am having problems getting into recovery can anyone help? I lost root after update so I reran the .bat file and regained it enough to give Nova launcher access but I can't see any system folders in ES and now can't boot into recovery. I have tried RM and the Power+volume method, both ways give me the android with the red exclamation point.

Try using the GNex Toolkit (available at XDA) to temporarily flash over CWM. OR use the second method to fastboot it over.

Essentially, you lost recovery--hence the red !. You need to push CWM over in order to flash the SU.zip. The nonrooted method should work fine; just follow zero's instructions or consult fastboot guides out there. The GNex Toolkit should enable you to do it as well.

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I lost root during this process without wiping. The good news is that I regained it by flashing the modified SU file. And that is all that matters to me anyway. :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I lost root during this process without wiping. The good news is that I regained it by flashing the modified SU file. And that is all that matters to me anyway. :)

Could you post up that modified file.. I'd like to throw it on my drop box for reference :) plz and Thx!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Could you post up that modified file.. I'd like to throw it on my drop box for reference :) plz and Thx!

Yo dawg check back a page or two.

Also, I'm emailing it.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid