Verizon Rumor - Killing grandfathered unlimited plans

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
front page says if you buy the phone at full price, your fine...no changes. Upgrade price and you are screwed.

I am trying to look at this from a family/financial point of view.

If we have to drop the individual data, we will save 150.00 per month.

Now lets say that there is a 20GB plan for $100 I use 12GB, leaving 8 for everyone else.

Their average usage over the last few months was under 3GB (really under, like 2.2 but I am rounding)

We would actually save $50/month.

I guess for me it is going to come down to the pricing structure...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there a different code that distinguishes between 3G and 4G unlimited data plans in the system?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm gonna have to use a spare upgrade on a new line before they announce the effective as of, date. Hopefully, the SGIII is available by then.

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have had unlimited on my primary line and have not come close to exceeding what would be my limit on the tiered data plan. I stream Spotify and download idea and audio torrents all day long as well. No, the data plan on the Gtab is not unlimited and I have come very close to going over on multiple occasions, but it is usually after long road trips...kids watching Netflix, browsing, etc.

Building the network Vzw has/is built is expensive. While I don't like it, there's no other carrier that let's me use my phone virtually anywhere...as a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
front page says if you buy the phone at full price, your fine...no changes. Upgrade price and you are screwed.

I am trying to look at this from a family/financial point of view.

If we have to drop the individual data, we will save 150.00 per month.

Now lets say that there is a 20GB plan for $100 I use 12GB, leaving 8 for everyone else.

Their average usage over the last few months was under 3GB (really under, like 2.2 but I am rounding)

We would actually save $50/month.

I guess for me it is going to come down to the pricing structure...

Will be interesting to see how they structure the plan. My guess is that it will not really save $$s just spread the cost. We have 3 LTE data plans right now with 4 GB each. My guess is the family plan will be 12 GB for $90 but the whole amount is pooled by the 3 family members.

I really don't see Verizon doing much to really save anyone on their bill. Phone companies are already upset by the loss of money from texting and minutes. Everything I have read is that while companies are getting more people on data plans many are dropping their minutes way down. I know we have since the whole family is on Verizon and my company - I don't use many of our family minutes.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why so many people have no problem with being forced into shared data plans. Yes,with a Family Plan where everyone is a responsible data user there shouldn't be any issues and the account holder may save some money. But just wait until someone posts about having the new shared data and they run huge overages or can't use their smartphone ay all because their teen or irresponsible partner used up everybody's data allowance. This would be especially true if everyone was on LTE.

Last edited:

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why so many people have no problem with being forced into shared data plans. Yes,with a Family Plan where everyone is a responsible data user there shouldn't be any issues and the account holder may save some money. But just wait until someone posts about having the new shared data and they run huge overages or can't use their smartphone ay all because their teen or irresponsible partner used up everybody's data allowance. This would be especially true if everyone was on LTE.

Don't get me wrong, I have a problem with it. I just don't know what I can do about it? I use my phone for work a lot, and travel for work a little. I don't want to leave Verizon to "stick it to the man" only to find out I stuck it to myself when I have no coverage when I need it the most. Plus, if the big 3 / 4 all end up with limited data plans (and they will), then again...what choice do we have? Going outside the big 3 / 4 is even less of an option given my coverage concerns.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I have a problem with it. I just don't know what I can do about it? I use my phone for work a lot, and travel for work a little. I don't want to leave Verizon to "stick it to the man" only to find out I stuck it to myself when I have no coverage when I need it the most. Plus, if the big 3 / 4 all end up with limited data plans (and they will), then again...what choice do we have? Going outside the big 3 / 4 is even less of an option given my coverage concerns.

I'm proselytizing that when all of this muck comes about and people don't want to deal with it, the smaller "nationwide" carriers will be more than happy to pickup the slack. These are your Alltel's, Straight Talk's, Cricket's, and MetroPCS's. Most importantly Straight Talk, because it uses re-sold/leased band from the big 4 so it probably has the best access. I don't know where I'm landing but $700 on a new phone every year just to keep my awesomely overpriced plan with Verizon...not something I'm willing to do.

mulishaman187

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This all sucks, but I'm going to adjust, instead of needing the best phone all the time, I'll wait until its the 3rd or 4th best and get it on Craigslist for 100-150. Will still keep my unlimited plan & will keep my upgrade money out of Verizon's hands. No insurance or warranty is a risk, but as long as they don't scrap open enrollment every February I can get it then.

Still, at the very least most of us would probably accept a compromise of keeping our grandfathered plans for $10-15 more. I would at least.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

I think a sound idea would be to look at coverage maps of several providers, narrow it down based on your area, then go into a local store and test drive a phone for voice & data.
I don't think Sprint will switch to capped data anytime soon, because unlimited is their biggest draw and marketing tool. Switching to Verizon & AT&T style plans would kill them. There would be no differentiation between the three and there would be absolutely no benefit to being with Sprint because the coverage of the other 2 outranks them.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
This all sucks, but I'm going to adjust, instead of needing the best phone all the time, I'll wait until its the 3rd or 4th best and get it on Craigslist for 100-150. Will still keep my unlimited plan & will keep my upgrade money out of Verizon's hands. No insurance or warranty is a risk, but as long as they don't scrap open enrollment every February I can get it then.

Still, at the very least most of us would probably accept a compromise of keeping our grandfathered plans for $10-15 more. I would at least.

Your logic is kinda flawed. Don't give Verizon additional money but give them additional money? I mean hell why not just give them an extra $200/month to keep our plans? Oh yeah because they're plans are expensive enough and we're reaping the benefits of those expensive plans. Lord knows they're not going to drop the price of data when they force everyone on to shared data. My response to their further robbery is to stop letting them siphon money from my wallet and move on.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you want verizon coverage at a lower cost, use a Verizon mvno like page plus. Of course, no 4glte on Page plus. And more limited data plans. And you have to use a 3g phone unless you want to reprogram a 4glte phone using cdma workshop. Keep in mind that using any mvno, you get cs through that mvno, Verizon won't help you if you have problems while on page plus. And from what I have read, print cs isn't that great. But hey, if you wish to save money and use verizon infrastructure, then pp or other verizon mvno is the way to go.

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, when they do eventually implement this it will hit me pretty hard. I currently have a family plan of 5 lines. Two of them are 4g(rezound), two of them are 3g(inc2) and one is a simple flip phone. They all have unlimited data BUT (heres the nice part) I only pay $9.99 for that unlimited data for each line. So when VZW changes thier data plan structure I'm screwed. But on the bright side I have upgrades sitting on 2 lines right now. I can use those and ride it out on those phones until they get broken,die or get messed up by my flashing addiction, lol. As far as buying phones outright, it's just to dang expensive for someone like me. And for those who will be looking at the used phone sector I foresee used phones going up in value because of the sudden demand for them. Eventually I will want to get a newer phone but when that happens I will just look for the best carrier deals when that time comes. My .02?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

First off, I do have issue, but like stated already, there is nothing really to be done about it. Accept it or move on seems to be the only options.

Most of the time if you do have an overage, you can call up verizon, switch to the higher plan to cover the overage, then switch back to avoid the outrageous fee. You cannot get away with it often, but the occasional misstep can be dealt with.

I can see the market for data capping apps becoming quite popular soon. You program each phone on the plan to only be allow to use XX amount of data then it is either wifi or nothing.

There are alternatives out there. I for one am going to start mapping my open wifi spots around the area and getting the WEP keys from my clients. I never bothered before but if I have to cut down, I have to cut down.

It almost becomes adapt or die.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
First off, I do have issue, but like stated already, there is nothing really to be done about it. Accept it or move on seems to be the only options.

Most of the time if you do have an overage, you can call up verizon, switch to the higher plan to cover the overage, then switch back to avoid the outrageous fee. You cannot get away with it often, but the occasional misstep can be dealt with.

I can see the market for data capping apps becoming quite popular soon. You program each phone on the plan to only be allow to use XX amount of data then it is either wifi or nothing.

There are alternatives out there. I for one am going to start mapping my open wifi spots around the area and getting the WEP keys from my clients. I never bothered before but if I have to cut down, I have to cut down.

It almost becomes adapt or die.

Here's my question, and it's to everyone. Why would you continue to serve a master that beats you down at every turn? If this becomes a reality which in all likelihood it will. Why stick with Verizon? I know some people will say that it's the only service they get and that's fine. But to those of us with options...Verizon doesn't deserve your money if they're going to act like this.

Logically, if grandfathered unlimited users can exist on their network for the next 2 years then what is the big breakdown that is forcing this move? MONEY, plain and simple. They don't care that they're bleeding their customers. They certainly aren't trying to save you money. They know that this will unbalance the load and force people to either pay into the tiered plan or go elsewhere. In either case, they win...at least in the latter case, you have the possibility of victory as well.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's my question, and it's to everyone. Why would you continue to serve a master that beats you down at every turn? If this becomes a reality which in all likelihood it will. Why stick with Verizon? I know some people will say that it's the only service they get and that's fine. But to those of us with options...Verizon doesn't deserve your money if they're going to act like this.

Logically, if grandfathered unlimited users can exist on their network for the next 2 years then what is the big breakdown that is forcing this move? MONEY, plain and simple. They don't care that they're bleeding their customers. They certainly aren't trying to save you money. They know that this will unbalance the load and force people to either pay into the tiered plan or go elsewhere. In either case, they win...at least in the latter case, you have the possibility of victory as well.

It's the way the word works. The reason they get away with it is because we pay it. If everyone quite paying it, things will be different. But that is not going to happen. Imo $30 it too much for any amount of data, but I pay it so I can't complain.

I for one cannot BELIEVE that they are going to offer family data plans. I thought they would avoid something that makes that much sense for eternity. It must going to be $100 per gig or something

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
For now, Verizon offers me the best deal. When it is time to upgrade(if I choose to do so), I will shop for the best deal for me.

Loyalty means nothing at corporations, extracting the maximun amount of money is all that is important. Consumers/employees should forget about being loyal to any one company.

paintballer82

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks like this is already in effect....When trying up upgrade to a 4g phone through their website, it would not let me keep my unlimited data plan and here are the screen shots (see my two attachments) of my options (even though unlimited is listed there it would not let me choose them...)... I wonder if maybe calling them could allow me to still keep unlimited data when moving to 4g or is this already implemented for good.....

I just uploaded those for proof...Here are the new data plan choices:

4gb data bundle with personal email: $30/month
10gb data bundle with personal email: $50/month
20gb data bundle with personal email: $80/month
6gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $50/month
12gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $70/month
22gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $100/month

Has anyone else seen this yet?...

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Looks like this is already in effect....When trying up upgrade to a 4g phone through their website, it would not let me keep my unlimited data plan and here are the screen shots (see my two attachments) of my options (even though unlimited is listed there it would not let me choose them...)... I wonder if maybe calling them could allow me to still keep unlimited data when moving to 4g or is this already implemented for good.....

I just uploaded those for proof...Here are the new data plan choices:

4gb data bundle with personal email: $30/month
10gb data bundle with personal email: $50/month
20gb data bundle with personal email: $80/month
6gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $50/month
12gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $70/month
22gb data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot: $100/month

Has anyone else seen this yet?...
Actually,if I'm allowed to keep my Corp. discount, those tiers are not too bad.