Gear S3 frontier Verizon activation issues

4truegrit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Purchased a gear S3 Verizon from Best Buy, ship to home, when I received it I tried to activate it online and it wouldn't unless i changed my plan to the new unlimited. I Called Verizon, tried 2 different technician, both said I cannot activate it on their $5 call share number plan unless I change my grandfathered unlimited data lines to their new unlimited plan. I have 3 lines and they say I must combine them into the new unlimited plan or no go. Took gear S3 back-to Best Buy, and tried same with the Verizon rep there, they give me the same low down..Bummer deal, I returned the Gear S3. Really want the gear S3 but I want it to be able to stand alone, otherwise I don't want it. Anybody else have this problem or is there a work-around? If there is I will buy it again.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
They are trying everything to get you off the Grandfathered unlimited plan.

So your only choice is to either go without, get the Wifi Model of the Gear S3 (it will work), or change to the new unlimited plan. I finally gave up my unlimited and have not had any issue, no tethering and my plan cost went down.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
you can have it as standalone but in order to have it on numbershare u have to switch to the new unlimited plan.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Verizon never plays fair. Only competition has kept them semi-honest.

I've mentioned in the past a friend who formerly worked for Verizon and the tricks they used to force little old ladies (and everybody else) to forfeit their unlimited.

Bottom line, they ain't your friends and thank the Dear Lord for T-Mobile and the smaller companies regardless of the quality of their services.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
What I don't understand is why they don't just say we are removing this plan and migrate everyone off within 6 months or so. stop playing games and just bite the bullet.

I understand business decisions, but to leave little work arounds in the system is just silly. I have use a lot of them in the past, all of them I think. Now it actually comes out cheaper and I can use my upgrades now without moving phones and upgrades from line to line, so that is nice. Plus I wanted to get on the New Samsung every year or with 50% payoff plans.

Anywho, back on topic.... It wasn't really an issue, just a limitation. you can always add a line for I think $20 per month and get the Gear S3 without moving plans, but if you want the $5 plan you have to be on unlimited.