Wired's Review - "Rating: 9/10 Nearly flawless; buy it now"

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
If you properly use the cloud storage that google or other companies provide you wont have to worry about storage.

Motorola Photon 4G
Agreed, I love the idea of it, I just need to find a good data plan in Aus.
One shame is they are producing great idea's, the carriers need to back them up. Once they will do that it will be perfect.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I know they do it for the average consumer but, I'm starting to wish all these revievers didn't get their hands on it first before everyone else. I've found many times that I like a device a lot more than than some of the reviewers and, sometime I know more about the phone than they do. If you have the chance, It's always bettter to try the product out for yourself IMO.

Stay tuned for my review LOL!

Last edited:

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I know they do it for the average consumesr but, I'm starting to wish all these revievers didn't get their hands on it first before everyone else. I've found many times that I like a device a lot more than than some of the reviewers and, sometime I know more about the phone than they do. If you have the chance, It's always bettter to try the product out for yourself IMO.

Stay tuned for my review LOL!

I find that some reviewers may not rly know how to work Android as well as they should. But tbh I feel actually rly good about these reviews and I actually don't see many negatives that apply to me. Sure they keep mentioning LTE being an issue but why do I care about that? Its something they certainly should be saying, perhaps not a half hour long podcast saying NO LTE AHHHHHH, but its something that a regular consumer might use to go out.

The other problem I have with the reviews is they don't seem to have many comparisons other than the negatives. I mean they say "This phone can't be compared to an iPhone because the iPhone has LTE".....Rly the only thing to compare is their cellular radios?

To me it seems like some reviewers are grasping at straws to find something wrong with this phone. Maybe its my fanboy eyes looking at it that way....But one reviewer said that they want something like a lightning cable because the micro usb is too annoying and difficult? Idr his exact words. But most of the review had some great things to say about it, he simply just had small minor "personal" problems that he didn't like. This likely stems from using an iPhone as a daily driver.

I won't be shouting bias review at every reviewer because its likely they are just reporting what issues they are having. But the reader needs to keep these things into context. Not everybody will be keeping their screen on for 4.5 hours at a time. Battery life will get better as it charges more, they have had it for 3 days or so before they wrote the article. Whats important is the battery number and by that I'd say almost certainly I'll get as much out of this as I did of my S3. Which was plenty.

What I'm taking out of the reviews is this phone is at face value. Its a great phone if you understand and can live with what the limitations are while you look at it. The storage, LTE, glass housing, etc.

I'm actually hoping they will start reviewing this thing as a T-Mobile phone since that is the network it'll be available to purchase on. At least compare it to other T-Mo offerings and since they have no LTE, they can shutup about that comparison.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
No LTE is going to be the dealbreaker for the mainstream.

The mainstream doesn't care. No one looks at the 4G icon at the top of their GSM Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5 and says "this is actually HSPA+, not LTE" No, they simply call it "4G"

No LTE option is a definite con.

- Three of the big four constantly promoting their next gen networks as the best user experience, with the fourth moving to that same place

- Phones like the iPhone 4S got dinged last year for not having an LTE option

- The previous generation of the Nexus smartphone had an LTE option

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

- You're right, that's what probably led to the poor sales and lack of user satisfaction from the 4 and 4S, oh wait.....
- I have a Galaxy Nexus, and my battery life is atrocious. Having LTE doesn't make me feel any better about that. I would kill just to be average at this point, and I know several users who fall in the "mainstream" category who feel precisely the same

As always, the uber tech crowd is severely miscalculating the focus of the average smartphone user.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
no LTE is a con. Plain and simple.

If the iphone 5 can have LTE and have better battery life than the nexus 4 it is a con. We are not discussing whether or not it is affordable, not having LTE is a con for every one.

The main reason in my opinion google switched back to HSPA+ is so they can roll out their software updates seamlessly. If the nexus brand had the same clout that the iphone does and the carriers worked with google on updates, then we would have a 4G LTE nexus 4.

Edit - you are also kidding yourself if you do not think that the mainstream doesn't know what LTE is. It is a huge buzz word and it is being promoted like crazy.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Read this review earlier. First all out gushing review I've seen all day. Most other reviews said it was a solid phone but had drawbacks such as spotty battery, some software glitches and the aforementioned lack of LTE seemed to really bug some reviewers. I always thought Topolsky was a huge Google fanboy but even his review was less than stellar.

I'm still getting this phone. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I think we are going to see some media backlash to this product because it undermines this horribly excellent price gouge that mobile geeks have been suffering (first world problems) for years. Hey Sprint, you want to complain about my roaming on your sieve of a network? Fine, I'll take this $2k and go elsewhere.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
no LTE is a con. Plain and simple.

If the iphone 5 can have LTE and have better battery life than the nexus 4 it is a con. We are not discussing whether or not it is affordable, not having LTE is a con for every one.

The main reason in my opinion google switched back to HSPA+ is so they can roll out their software updates seamlessly. If the nexus brand had the same clout that the iphone does and the carriers worked with google on updates, then we would have a 4G LTE nexus 4.

Edit - you are also kidding yourself if you do not think that the mainstream doesn't know what LTE is. It is a huge buzz word and it is being promoted like crazy.

Really LTE is only a con to some ppl. Personally I don't see it as a con. As I'm on wifi at home and when I was on Verizon I never used LTE o. My razr because the battery life is terrible. I consistently get 3-6mbps download which is plenty enough for flip board, Facebook, watching YouTube. If I had the option for LTE I would never use it so its not a con for me. Some other ppl would obviously want it so ya its a con to them. If its a deal breaker then there is plenty of other options

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Mainstream folks that have LTE now will see no LTE as a major step down.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
No LTE is going to be the dealbreaker for the mainstream.

But not for the world since there are very limited LTE networks out there and the ones in other countries cost a lot. Yeah some will whine about it but mostly here in the US and there are only two LTE networks and Verizon wont get this phone anyways.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But not for the world since there are very limited LTE networks out there and the ones in other countries cost a lot. Yeah some will whine about it but mostly here in the US and there are only two LTE networks and Verizon wont get this phone anyways.

Engadget, The Verge, Wired, cNet - US-centric reviews. Did you expect them to not say no LTE was a con?

And of the big four, there are now three, not two.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
The Lack of LTE is a con just like the less then amazing battery is a con. They are both cons to some people. Same goes for the storage options. It's a con for some and not for others. Same with CPU. Many people (like me) dont need the quad core snapdragon processor. So not having it wouldnt be a con. If it is a con to some people it's an overall con. Plain and simple. YOU decide its a con for YOU, NOT if it's a con in general.
Anyway, at face value the phone seems to be downright amazing, especially for the price. But, many sites are reporting a whole lot of flaws with this device, both hardware and software. Here is the newest one - Nexus 4 Battery Shot Reveals Potential Quality Issues – xda-developers
I know both the hardware and software are prerelease stuff, but I dont expect THAT much to change from the devices now and the devices on release. We wont know much else until the phone is released.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Lack of LTE is a con just like the less then amazing battery is a con. They are both cons to some people. Same goes for the storage options. It's a con for some and not for others. Same with CPU. Many people (like me) dont need the quad core snapdragon processor. So not having it wouldnt be a con. If it is a con to some people it's an overall con. Plain and simple. YOU decide its a con for YOU, NOT if it's a con in general.
Anyway, at face value the phone seems to be downright amazing, especially for the price. But, many sites are reporting a whole lot of flaws with this device, both hardware and software. Here is the newest one - Nexus 4 Battery Shot Reveals Potential Quality Issues ? xda-developers
I know both the hardware and software are prerelease stuff, but I dont expect THAT much to change from the devices now and the devices on release. We wont know much else until the phone is released.

If no LTE is not a con, no SD card isn't a con either.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
it makes me sort of sad to see android fans turning into the same sheep like mentality that I have always disliked apple fans for

Inception of Android until 3 weeks ago - The iphone sucks! No LTE? No SD cards? All glass back? Have fun with slow data and $100 per 16 GB of storage

Post Google Announcement of Nexus 4 - Who needs more storage when you have the cloud? LTE isnt that much faster anyways.

The cognitive dissonance is astounding. I am going to get a nexus 4 because of the processor, ram and fact it gets updates fast. But I cannot look my apple friends in the face and say that I dont wish it had all of that and had 4G LTE and 32GB storage.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
it makes me sort of sad to see android fans turning into the same sheep like mentality that I have always disliked apple fans for

Inception of Android until 3 weeks ago - The iphone sucks! No LTE? No SD cards? All glass back? Have fun with slow data and $100 per 16 GB of storage

Post Google Announcement of Nexus 4 - Who needs more storage when you have the cloud? LTE isnt that much faster anyways.

The cognitive dissonance is astounding. I am going to get a nexus 4 because of the processor, ram and fact it gets updates fast. But I cannot look my apple friends in the face and say that I dont wish it had all of that and had 4G LTE.

The sheep comment, at least in my perspective is them just looking at Apple and giving it glowing greatness while dismissing the competition. They don't use Android and make a valid comparison between the 2. They say one is an Apple and one is a little robot so I chose my side and I will ignore everything good the other side has to offer. I'm not saying everyone does this. But you also assume everybody here made fun of the iPhone for the exact same reason.

The fact is nobody is ignoring ANYTHING here. We are basing off our own needs of a device. If you want an iPhone and it doesn't have what you need, you do what? Wait another year? There are how many Android phones right now offering LTE and external storage? It gives us choice and stays with some great features. Every phone has a trade off. But there is nothing sheep ish here, you either can live with the pitfalls or you cannot. I don't defend the lack of LTE, just the fact that I do not need it. If someone DOES need it then there are options for such things.

It's a matter of personal preference and I think for some reason the ppl who need LTE are just crying because they can't have the phone. They look for somebody to blame for this travesty.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

The cognitive dissonance is astounding. I am going to get a nexus 4 because of the processor, ram and fact it gets updates fast. But I cannot look my apple friends in the face and say that I dont wish it had all of that and had 4G LTE and 32GB storage.
I dont care for the cloud. It just uses more data and im unlimited up to 2GB so i prefer to play music and videos from the phone.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
If no LTE is not a con, no SD card isn't a con either.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or didnt understand my post. They are BOTH CONS, BUT what really matters is if it's a CON FOR YOU. These reviews have to take into account that the lack of LTE, SD Card, Bigger storage options, and it not being available on CDMA (in the states) are a con for some (if not many) people.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Its not a con if it kept the price at $300, and it did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'd pay an extra $100 to be able to get LTE, and an SD Card Slot and removeable battery.

All this does is make the phone sound like a cheap toy, which it basically is with those restrictions...

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd pay an extra $100 to be able to get LTE, and an SD Card Slot and removeable battery.

All this does is make the phone sound like a cheap toy, which it basically is with those restrictions...

Google apparently doesn't care what you would pay for. This thing is not a cheap toy. Its one of the most powerful smart phones on the market right now and for those without LTE. /couch about 7 billion ish ppl, this isn't a problem. So you can cry and call this a piece of junk all you want but its not gonna stop someone who is smart enough and who understands its limitations to take full advantage of the greatest deal in wireless history.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe