So When Do You Think Google Will Activate LTE On The Nexus 4?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
And LG would pay for FCC certification twice because....

Sometimes it's cheaper to only produce (or buy) one chip as opposed to two.

Because its simply an amendment, and dirt cheap. Submit two sheets of paper, and a pdf, and pay 2300 bucks. In Canada its even cheaper.

And, for the record my company did this routinely for the products it made and we had to use a third party testing agency, unlike LG.

Dirt cheap.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately never... chip was included becuase of Optimus G used a combined chip but never intended it to be used in the Nexus 4. However, some people in Canad/UK can use it becuause band 1 is supported.

Benoni Cooper

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

fatkiid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
No. Each tower's spectrum allocation can handle more subscribers at a given rate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

fatkiid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Because its simply an amendment, and dirt cheap. Submit two sheets of paper, and a pdf, and pay 2300 bucks. In Canada its even cheaper.

And, for the record my company did this routinely for the products it made and we had to use a third party testing agency, unlike LG.

Dirt cheap.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

You sound like a former RIM employee :D

Benoni Cooper

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Look at the last line. He's right.
And are you saying that the N4's in Canada do not use GSM?

in either case, "Nexus 4 will literally never have LTE. It is physically impossible for the device to connect to an LTE network" seems like it is perhaps alittle too absolutist of a statement given recent events... Could be wrong though. In general, I scoff at those who use the word "impossible", and then seem to be disproved soon after.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
They f'd up the gnex. They never update anything in a timely manner. Not to mention they would add an extra 2gigs of crapware that you couldn't get rid of. The storage space on that phone is already crap, no more room for more bloat

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

and it was fatter than the gsm variant right?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
And are you saying that the N4's in Canada do not use GSM?

in either case, "Nexus 4 will literally never have LTE. It is physically impossible for the device to connect to an LTE network" seems like it is perhaps alittle too absolutist of a statement given recent events... Could be wrong though. In general, I scoff at those who use the word "impossible", and then seem to be disproved soon after.

LTE isn't enabled on it. It never will be. This hack is nice, sure, but it also causes you to break federal law in the process. No, I don't think G-Men will come breaking down your door, but if you think the FCC doesn't take things like this somewhat seriously than you're mistaken.

Also, as I stated above (or was it the other thread about this same topic?) having the ability to use LTE on ONE band really does nobody any good. Or at least very few people overall. But what this definitely is not is some sort of conspiracy to "hide" the functionality until later so that it can be activated through an update. That's just wishful thinking. LG has come out and said that the only reason this is even possible is because it was cheaper to keep the internals the same as the Optimus G. Which, again, I believe I already said that I thought that was the case.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
what is the big deal with LTE anyways? sprint has very limited markets, as does att. that leaves us with verizon. so for unl. talk + text + 1GB data (of LTE!) it comes out to be $90/month. But its LTE! yea.... not to mention, having the nexus 4 on verizon would mean carrier bloatware and slow updates, things that are the key selling points of the device. and no, before you say "google should learn from apple", there is nothing to learn. apple has much more leverage with carriers because of how much in demand there phones are. the carriers would be downright stupid to reject apple's phones. they HAVE to comply with them and let apple have it's way. with the n4 its not the same scenario, but maybe things will change with time. if LTE is a must have for you than just get another phone. geez.

Last edited:

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
what is the big deal with LTE anyways?

THIS.

Verizon has the only U.S. LTE network worth using, and no one wants a Nexus on Verizon. On top of that, there are no prepaid LTE options utilizing Verizon's towers.

All other LTE networks in the U.S. are, IMHO, (near) irrelevant (coverage wise). They're developing and all, sure, but in no way should lack of LTE be a deal breaker on a device in 2012. We can reevaluate that argument in one year.

Seriously. Everyone seems to think LTE is here and now. It is not, except for Verizon. LTE is the future, and in one years time (you know, the future), there will likely be a new Nexus device utilizing said LTE.

This topic is exhausting.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Never cared to have lte until my lte went live,, now I would not want to live without. With average speeds of 20 down /10 up I am never looking for a wifi spot anymore. Can't remember last time I was buffering while trying to watch a YouTube video.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
THIS.

Verizon has the only U.S. LTE network worth using, and no one wants a Nexus on Verizon. On top of that, there are no prepaid LTE options utilizing Verizon's towers.

All other LTE networks in the U.S. are, IMHO, (near) irrelevant (coverage wise). They're developing and all, sure, but in no way should lack of LTE be a deal breaker on a device in 2012. We can reevaluate that argument in one year.

Seriously. Everyone seems to think LTE is here and now. It is not, except for Verizon. LTE is the future, and in one years time (you know, the future), there will likely be a new Nexus device utilizing said LTE.

This topic is exhausting.

When you have had it for two years or so you do not want to have to go backwards. I ended up paying vzw for an extra few months until sprint was pretty well rolled out where I am

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
what is the big deal with LTE anyways? sprint has very limited markets, as does att. that leaves us with verizon. so for unl. talk + text + 1GB data (of LTE!) it comes out to be $90/month. But its LTE! yea.... not to mention, having the nexus 4 on verizon would mean carrier bloatware and slow updates, things that are the key selling points of the device. and no, before you say "google should learn from apple", there is nothing to learn. apple has much more leverage with carriers because of how much in demand there phones are. the carriers would be downright stupid to reject apple's phones. they HAVE to comply with them and let apple have it's way. with the n4 its not the same scenario, but maybe things will change with time. if LTE is a must have for you than just get another phone. geez.

You completely forgot to mention coverage. While T-Mobile or whoever you use may have fast speeds and coverage where you need it, many other people don't have the same experience. I know in my area alone, Verizon and AT&T have better LTE coverage than T-Mobile has HSPA coverage. Leave a Verizon/AT&T LTE zone and you're stuck with Edge on T-Mobile.

T-Mobile still does have decent coverage in my area and if I didn't have unlimited data on Verizon, I'd get a T-Mobile value plan without a second thought. But I'd rather be on Verizon with my current plan.

lament

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
My friend is getting really good speeds on his N4 with LTE enabled.

bodGi.png

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is really starting to light up my market. Just last week I would lose my lte once I went into my house and now I get this inside my house.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353798334343.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353798334343.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 32

fatkiid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think Google probably failed LTE lab certification before the holiday sales rush, so they canned the feature but it was too late to change the BOM so they cut their losses.