AT&T feedback

Gary86

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
How is everyone liking the Nexus 4 on AT&T? Speeds? I have an iPhone 5 and will be using a nano to micro sim adapter so I can swap between the two devices if needed.

Should be getting mine tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I moved from nexus S 3g to Nexus 4 HSPA+(4g). I am seeing a huge speed increase.
I get about 650 kbps down. i haven't tested with any software but downloading is a breeze now.
I don't live in a LTE area so i don't care about LTE

cyclejim

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Gary- I advise caution when dealing with AT&T on the switchover, see my thread from today. There is also another thread here talking about how poorly AT&T is handling the Nexus 4 support and moving you from one phone to another. In short, my plan was provisioned wrong as a blackberry and HSPA+ didnt work until i manually edited the APN settings on the phone, even after they corrected my plan issue. Now that its working, I get about 9-10mb down and 1mb up in my area on HSPA+, but I am having two other issues that I detailed in my post from a few minutes ago. Prior to updating the APN manually, I found I was getting 900k down and 1mb up, with 240ms pings, with the edited APN, I get 9-10 mb down and 1mb up, and 120-130 ms pings.

Last edited:

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Gary, I'm in the exact same boat as you and have found it to be surprisingly easy in most regards. I switch the phones at least once a week and live in the SF Bay Area. There are only a couple issues that I have found thus far, texting being the biggest issue.
I did not change my data plan at all, I am still setup as an iPhone 5 5GB tethering plan.
I did setup two different APNs, the Phone one and the Cingular one (you should be able to search to find both but hit me up if you need the details)
I have a nano adapter and found that I need to roll up a small piece of tape to keep the nano sim in the adapter and easily put it into the Nexus 4. DO NOT PUT EMPTY ADAPTER IN THE 4!! I keep it in the small bag that the Nexus sim removal tool comes shipped with in my wallet when I use the 5.
Turn off iMessage before you remove sim from iPhone 5 or you will have messages going everywhere but your Nexus 4.
I turn both devices off during sim swap, I find it just picks up the network faster this way.
If you love using emoji symbols and sending pics while texting you can only use the Android Messaging app or the other messaging apps from the play store and the Cingular APN. I really don't know why yet, posed the question in the message boards with no replies yet.

Otherwise, enjoy! I found this to be the best way to enjoy both worlds, have newest hardware and least cost.

Gary86

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all info. The guy with the Nexus backed for whatever reason. So now I'm on the hunt again lol.

cyclejim

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the default APN on your Nexus 4? i.e. WAP.Cingular.com? The default APN (wap.cingular) works fine, but it won't give you HSPA+ speeds. It will only give you standard HSPA.

Gary, I'm in the exact same boat as you and have found it to be surprisingly easy in most regards. I switch the phones at least once a week and live in the SF Bay Area. There are only a couple issues that I have found thus far, texting being the biggest issue.
I did not change my data plan at all, I am still setup as an iPhone 5 5GB tethering plan.
I did setup two different APNs, the Phone one and the Cingular one (you should be able to search to find both but hit me up if you need the details)
I have a nano adapter and found that I need to roll up a small piece of tape to keep the nano sim in the adapter and easily put it into the Nexus 4. DO NOT PUT EMPTY ADAPTER IN THE 4!! I keep it in the small bag that the Nexus sim removal tool comes shipped with in my wallet when I use the 5.
Turn off iMessage before you remove sim from iPhone 5 or you will have messages going everywhere but your Nexus 4.
I turn both devices off during sim swap, I find it just picks up the network faster this way.
If you love using emoji symbols and sending pics while texting you can only use the Android Messaging app or the other messaging apps from the play store and the Cingular APN. I really don't know why yet, posed the question in the message boards with no replies yet.

Otherwise, enjoy! I found this to be the best way to enjoy both worlds, have newest hardware and least cost.

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am about 2 miles from Google HQ today (Mountain View, CA) and I ran speed tests on both APNs I use.
Name: ATT HSPA+ (this shouldn't matter)
APN: phone
MMSC: mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
APN type: default, supl, mms, hipri
Speeds: 108ms, 5.8mb, 1.1mb

Name: ATT
APN: wap.cingular
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
APN Type: default, supl, mms
Speed: 140ms, 3.3mb, 1.1mb

I'm on WiFi a majority of my day so I tend to keep it on the wap.cingular APN because I like my emojis when texting, handcent functionality and ease of sending pics over text. When speed matters I switch back to the phone APN.

Gary86

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I am about 2 miles from Google HQ today (Mountain View, CA) and I ran speed tests on both APNs I use.
Name: ATT HSPA+ (this shouldn't matter)
APN: phone
MMSC: mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
APN type: default, supl, mms, hipri
Speeds: 108ms, 5.8mb, 1.1mb

Name: ATT
APN: wap.cingular
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
APN Type: default, supl, mms
Speed: 140ms, 3.3mb, 1.1mb

I'm on WiFi a majority of my day so I tend to keep it on the wap.cingular APN because I like my emojis when texting, handcent functionality and ease of sending pics over text. When speed matters I switch back to the phone APN.

Thanks. So I should use the wap.cingular if I want to send pics, text, etc

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If you want to use any of the texting/messaging apps from the play store like Handcent or Go SMS and send emojis or pics then yes right now you have to use wap.cingular. If you like the stock android messaging app (I don't) you can use the phone APN.

Gary86

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
If you want to use any of the texting/messaging apps from the play store like Handcent or Go SMS and send emojis or pics then yes right now you have to use wap.cingular. If you like the stock android messaging app (I don't) you can use the phone APN.

Got it, thanks bro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky