Poll: Did Sprint drop the ball on pricing??

Did they drop the ball?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
ATT and verizon are offering $69 for UNLIMITED MINUTES PERIOD. Many consumers would take that and a 2GB data plan for $25 over Sprint's plan. For people that need texting- I think you can get a limited texting plan added for still cheaper than Sprint- but for most people Sprint is a 3rate coverage (works fine for me) so they EXPECT A SAVINGS and really- with non family plans- there isn't any savings on a 4G phone with Sprint.

For Sprint unlimited minutes+ data is $100+ the 4g tax = $110. Sure- you get unlimited data- which 70% of consumers DON'T need. Heck- I was TRYING To use a lot of data with 30days of evo and I still didn't hit 2GB in 29days of what I felt was heavy for me use.

I see your point, but I used 3gb data last month. I'm not an average consumer by any means however.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I missed that post from taylormah- he illustrates the point EXACTLY. This is the position of MANY consumers that are CASUALS - us geeks here on an android forum are ANYTHING but casual users. Most consumers don't know what tethering is let alone would even use it. Unlimited texting for someone who gets under 200 a month, someone who calls relatives that don't have cellphones (lots of country / backwoods folk in my extended family) they have HOUSE PHONES they want anytime minutes NOT mobile to mobile to call these house phone numbers.

Sprint is targeting US with their plans- but they aren't for everyone. THEY NEED to acknowledge that. I bet if you did a survey you'd find more people would rather have more minutes than limitless data.

And spotty or non existent 4G in certain areas but being charged for it where ever you live sucks- no matter how you try to justify it to a possible NEW customer to sprint.
many non-technologically inclined people/families i know are ditching their land-line phones. even some of the 70-80yr old people i know are doing the same...and some of the people in that group are on facebook! (i think its hilarious)

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Im a little upset with the price. i would have liked and imo feel 199 is the right price for the phone. BUT + 50 wont stop me from getting it . im preodered and will pick it up when they open. im also converting 2 co-workers over to this phone. thanks to forums like this and some people on them we the public can learn alot by reading post.

By far sprint does offer the best plans . i gave up my land line 2 years ago . I use like 250 mins a month and thats on a busy month .ive been with sprint since 96 and i dont think I'll leave. Nothaving the full game is a rip off. i dont like the game but they could have included it .

Owell 19 more days till my epic adventure starts.

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I guess Sprint thinks they have a better chance with the Business buyer if the charge more? $250 is more than I planned to spend, but I'm getting it anyway. I just can't pass this up.

Mattism78

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I just found out some information that might be valuable to some. It's rumored that if you don't like the price of the phone you don't have to buy it. Keep in mind this is just a rumor ;)

campbell

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I just found out some information that might be valuable to some. It's rumored that if you don't like the price of the phone you don't have to buy it. Keep in mind this is just a rumor ;)

Exactly!! I dont see how that is hard for most people to understand. People complained cause they didnt have a release date/price. Now that we have that info they complain about the price? If its that bad wait another 3 months and get a EVO

Nickles0n

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm not going to take that rumor to heart. I'm going to pay $251 for it.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The question is "do you think they dropped the ball?" Not do you think this is FAIR VALUE pricing."

I EXPECTED to pay more. I'm buying 2 of these. $250 is fair- I would not have been shocked at $299...but I wouldn't have liked it.

Do I think Sprint has a SOUND BUSINESS STRATEGY launching this phone 2 weeks after Verizon Droid 2 at $50 more and with a +10 tax that is tacked on after any discounts many people may be eligible for, and launching with an "older OS" (2.1)? (I'm just saying what a verizon salesperson would mind you...playing a bit of devil's advocate here...)

If they're fine staying as a 3rd place carrier then keep this type of thinking. If not, maybe they should have worked to get this phone earlier in the schedule, and for cheaper... in short- yeah- I think they dropped the ball in the sense this could have been bigger than the Evo success wise- and NOW...based on date and price- I doubt it.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
How do they decide? Well studies have shown when unable to choose people assign quality to cost. If they all cost the same then there no differentiate in quality...
I like your little hypothetical. Toss in there that any competent salesperson could sell an average consumer on 4G and front-facing camera (HQ Youtube, higher quality video chat possible in future over 4G, etc) and I think the $50 will be negligible in their mind. Plus, that same competent salesperson will lay out the cheaper plan cost.

Thanks guys, we are all on the same page. I think there is easily $50 more value our of the ~$600 true cost.

But even if there weren't and Sprint was just doing it because they expect substantial differentials in available stock on the two extant 4G devices, it is still a savvy move for them for the reasons above.

There is also the third consideration whcih is that perhaps it just costs Sprint $50 more.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont care about the price. I am getting the phone because of the features. As stated by many you cannot have your cake and eat it too. $250 is a bargain for a qwerty powerhouse like this IMHO. Now give me a 3000Mah battery, collapsible BT keyboard, 32GB SD card and Im set. I will literally have a laptop in my pocket. Hook the keyboard up and do a tv out and I could work all day on my cell phone. CANT WAIT FOR THE 31st!!!

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
I dont care about the price. I am getting the phone because of the features. As stated by many you cannot have your cake and eat it too. $250 is a bargain for a qwerty powerhouse like this IMHO. Now give me a 3000Mah battery, collapsible BT keyboard, 32GB SD card and Im set. I will literally have a laptop in my pocket. Hook the keyboard up and do a tv out and I could work all day on my cell phone. CANT WAIT FOR THE 31st!!!

WOW! I had never thought of it that way. Thanks for the idea. SO suddenly, it might be worth the extra $50 if I can get out of lugging my laptop to work everyday.

plainbrad

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The EPIC is a good enough phone that people might have actually switched to Sprint for it. The extra $50 is just an extra thing stopping people from coming over. All Sprint gets in return is the satisfaction of pissing off their existing customers.

I was planning on making the jump to Sprint until I saw the price. I would have done it for $199

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
WOW! I had never thought of it that way. Thanks for the idea. SO suddenly, it might be worth the extra $50 if I can get out of lugging my laptop to work everyday.

Don't count on it. Not even close. This pie in the sky idea that a pocket device can replace a computer has been around for years, and I've been suckered by every single one of them. It just doesn't work. Phones do some things, laptops do other things, tablets do other things, don't mess with the formula.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, we are all on the same page. I think there is easily $50 more value our of the ~$600 true cost.

But even if there weren't and Sprint was just doing it because they expect substantial differentials in available stock on the two extant 4G devices, it is still a savvy move for them for the reasons above.

There is also the third consideration whcih is that perhaps it just costs Sprint $50 more.

This is not a $600 device. It is a $200-$250ish device. That is what Sprint pays for it when they buy from Samsung. All this stuff about R&D costs is irrelevant, since those or Samsungs costs, not Sprints. Like I said, Sprint can afford to give them away for free, cover the cost of the phone with the 4G tax, and make money off the standard data plan. That is what they would do if they actually wanted to gain subscribers.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
This is not a $600 device. It is a $200-$250ish device. That is what Sprint pays for it when they buy from Samsung. All this stuff about R&D costs is irrelevant, since those or Samsungs costs, not Sprints. Like I said, Sprint can afford to give them away for free, cover the cost of the phone with the 4G tax, and make money off the standard data plan. That is what they would do if they actually wanted to gain subscribers.

From your first 5 lines, I can tell you do not understand too much about this industry. It's ok though, most people do not. When I have time later today I'll explain it more in depth, but I can assure you that is NOT what Sprint pays per device.

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Newman. There is alot more that goes into the equation than what Sprint makes. Most dealers make a fair amount for each activation and far less for each upgrade. SO especially for upgrades that would REALLY be losing money for them dropping it lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia