Today at my local Best Buy: Samsung vs. HTC

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So they are getting the commission for a phone that a bb associate has charged a customer for? Even when they don't work for bb directly.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Commission includes things like bonuses, which they certainly get. They are there to push Samsung, and if sales rise at their location (which is, you know, the reason they're there) there will be financial incentive.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Probably not a commission per se but I'm sure their pay is at lease in part dependent on how well the store sells Samsung products.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Right, but my point is they don't get commission for the phone that a bb employee sells.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Has HTC ever tried to market a phone on their own like this before? It seems like in the past the carriers have done most of that for them in exchange for exclusivity agreements.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Has HTC ever tried to market a phone on their own like this before? It seems like in the past the carriers have done most of that for them in exchange for exclusivity agreements.

Marketing Budget last year.
Samsung on mobile products 402 million.
HTC on mobile products 46 million.

HTC stated this year it would double what it spent on traditional media and nearly triple what it spent on digital media.

But it's hard to win when your competitor is spending nearly 10 to 1 against you.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Marketing Budget last year.
Samsung on mobile products 402 million.
HTC on mobile products 46 million.

HTC stated this year it would double what it spent on traditional media and nearly triple what it spent on digital media.

But it's hard to win when your competitor is spending nearly 10 to 1 against you.

That's why they offload some of it to carriers as part of their contracts. I can guarantee you verizon is going to hammer tv with ads for their One.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually GSM arena rated the gs4 camera as better, even in low light.

Plus the Samsung is clicked higher, bigger battery, bigger screen. I'm in the know and I'd buy the Samsung over the HTC any day

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Actually, you're not in "the know". If you were in "the know", then you would actually look at camera review sites for these reviews and not GSM Arena. Check out DPReview or other camera sites. The HTC One IS better in low light than the GS4. It's fact. But again, when you don't read the proper sites, it's easy to give out bad information. Always assume that half the stuff you hear online isn't true. I'm glad I could fix this fact for you though.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually, you're not in "the know". If you were in "the know", then you would actually look at camera review sites for these reviews and not GSM Arena. Check out DPReview or other camera sites. The HTC One IS better in low light than the GS4. It's fact. But again, when you don't read the proper sites, it's easy to give out bad information. Always assume that half the stuff you hear online isn't true. I'm glad I could fix this fact for you though.

Well, the S4 *is* "clicked" higher...:D

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Not to be mean, but you were kind of being a jerk in a way
You were downing the GS4 when you knew she was a Samsung representative
I would have probably had the same responses if I was her

And of course Samsung's station would be bigger...they had the money to pay for it

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That's why they offload some of it to carriers as part of their contracts. I can guarantee you verizon is going to hammer tv with ads for their One.

Will Verizon really do that for a phone that's also available on AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint, though? It's one thing for the "Droid DNA" since only they had that, but, I dunno. I haven't seen that much GS4 advertising from the carriers, just quick mentions that it's available on "the country's awesomest network" or whatever.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Will Verizon really do that for a phone that's also available on AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint, though? It's one thing for the "Droid DNA" since only they had that, but, I dunno. I haven't seen that much GS4 advertising from the carriers, just quick mentions that it's available on "the country's awesomest network" or whatever.

Yes.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not to be mean, but you were kind of being a jerk in a way
You were downing the GS4 when you knew she was a Samsung representative
I would have probably had the same responses if I was her

And of course Samsung's station would be bigger...they had the money to pay for it

He wasn't being a jerk at all. Asking a rep legitimate questions when they're spouting PR bs isn't being a jerk. A good rep would talk about the comparison and get the buyer in the best device for them, even if it isn't a Samsung.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Yikes, HTC should seriously think about upgrading their booth at best buy stores. I don't care if One looks like a work of art, anything on that booth would look like a budget phone on a good day.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
If I walked into a Best Buy with no idea about which smartphone phone to buy, there is no chance that I would walk out with anything other than a Samsung or Apple phone.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

My question is why the hell do people goto Best Buy to get new phones ? I've always had good service buying from the carrier or manufacture. (Back in the day I was well pleased with the pricing and service I got buying directly from Motorola.)

At least if they walked out with the iPhone, they would have gotten a good phone. Not a great one like the HTC, but a good one.

It was a direct Samsung employee.

Posted via Android Central App

Yes, you can tell Samsung employees by their Apple Blue shirts.

Sometime implied that people in the know would pick the one, my point is in in the know and I wouldn't.

One is a great phone no doubt, but I'd go with Samsung

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But by definition, you're not in the know. ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
He wasn't being a jerk at all. Asking a rep legitimate questions when they're spouting PR bs isn't being a jerk. A good rep would talk about the comparison and get the buyer in the best device for them, even if it isn't a Samsung.

Not the questions but more so his response, but I guess a convo is a convo

"Her: "The display and colors are so much better on the GS4."
Me: "Really? I guess if you like oversaturation and a more cartoonish appearance. The One has much more realistic colors, and you can see it in daylight""

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Distinction without a difference. They are contracted Samsung employees.

Well sort of, I think the difference is in their product and industry knowledge. They're not actually Samsung employees so all they have to do is learn a set of pre written responses and a script. Whereas an actual employee would be required to know more in depth info about each product as well as competing products. After all, they're probably on this certain job for a few months, then are assigned to a new one, which means everything about Samsung gets flushed out of their brain.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well sort of, I think the difference is in their product and industry knowledge. They're not actually Samsung employees so all they have to do is learn a set of pre written responses and a script.

I have a friend who is a manager of one of these locations that will open this week. My impression has been from him that he works for Samsung. I know he has told me about his extensive training on the products. They aren't suppose to be sales people per say. The goal is to mimic the Apple Store in the terms of service and expertise in these mini stores.

But I feel like they are rushing to put this together which could lead a public relations disaster.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend who is a manager of one of these locations that will open this week. My impression has been from him that he works for Samsung. I know he has told me about his extensive training on the products. They aren't suppose to be sales people per say. The goal is to mimic the Apple Store in the terms of service and expertise in these mini stores.

But I feel like they are rushing to put this together which could lead a public relations disaster.

I wonder if they all go through the same training? Since your friend is a manager does he get more training? Because speaking to a lot of the employees there is a bit painful haha. I also feel like they can't really do the apple thing when their "store" is simply dropped in the middle of another larger store.

Either way, I think you're right though that the whole idea probably won't work or turn out the way Samsung wants it to.

Sterling147

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
As other people have noted, the Samsung stands or galleries are owned and run by Samsung (or their representatives), not Best Buy so you have to consider the sources, both of the display and sales people. I have had both Best Buy and Sprint reps tell me they preferred the ONE.

I live in New York City and also have not seen a working ONE in any of the Best Buys I have gone to. Furthermore, I have not seen a live black ONE demo in any Sprint or AT&T store I have gone into. More than one Sprint sales rep told me that they were not given a demo model for the black model (presumably by HTC).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoverSpike