iOS 7 vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Where did you pull ignorant from when I voiced an opinion? And where did that revolutionary comment come from?

You used to post unbiased, well thought out posts. Then Apple made a shiny new product and it seems that somehow has drastically affected your opinions of Google, and now all of a sudden you have all these issues with Android. Bit comical, really.
Apologies. The excitement of iOS getting features which should have been there from the start:p
Now the main issue I have with Android simply is services. No matter how you twist it Apple has more services world wide.

e.g in my country we have Play Music and Play apps. with iOS I have TV shows, movies, songs, apps and iBooks.
To certain people that is fine having less services and more customisation(internationally), However that is not true for me as all my content I have to watch online(I only have a TV for my PS3)Youtube and services Apple provides ARE my entertainment.
Now I am gonna break down each new feature of iOS7 to Android, I will give my opinion on the two then we will move on.
Let's start:
1.Multitasking-Android already has it, the iOS version however, automatically updates the apps you use the most and eventually kills the least used apps. the interface despite many peoples thinking is more like Web OS then Android(iOS now supports background tasks)

2.New folders- iOS 4 had folders before Android and the limit was 12-16 apps on the iPhone, Android also has folders but limited(same as iOS?). with iOS 7 you can have endless pages of folders. Google should implement that.

3. Today view- VERY similar to Google Now, Apples take on it though(and slightly different) It shows you weather and has a stocks widget with all the reminders and calendar events you have scheduled(there is an API for 3rd party apps to use it) Google Now is more like when you NEED it. The info isn't constantly there with Now.

4.The new notifications centre- It has an all tab a missed tab and the today view. I personally would prefer a missed tab rather then expandable notifications.

5.New look-Some people will like it most people will love it, but can't please everyone.

6. Control centre- This ones a funny one, people say it is a copy of quick tiles, but I don't see how. Quick tiles doesnt have an option to launch apps from it like control centre(and it doesn't have as many toggles)

7. Air drop- No one can deny this is new and iOS 7 is the only one to have something like this. basically it uses wifi direct to allow sharing of Photos, videos, book links, youtube links and any app that has air dropable content will be able to use this feature. Android has NFC but if you want to share to multiple people you have to go around bumping phones. With Air drop you can send multiple people the same content without moving and without doing it again and again.

8.Auto app updates- Yeah Android had it before but isnt it just common sense to add it?

9.New camera UI-looks nothing like my Nexus 4's camera UI plain and simple and iOS has live filters where as the N4 has filters after. Apple has panorama but Google has Photosphere.

10.Safari- yep the tabs look a lot like Chrome but the gestures are different. in chrome swiping left to right switches tabs, in Safari it goes back a page(a motif used through the whole OS) same stuff as Chrome has had for a while like full screen browsing and unifies search and swipe to delete tabs.

All in all iOS drew small inspiration from Android and web OS but built on it immensely. remember how ICS was a major overhaul? well this is a massive overhaul as well and we should wait till it becomes public or when it hits 7.1 to see how many refinements there actually are in this new little gem. I sincerly hope "TheLibertarian" that you have enjoyed this post as I was keeping as much bias out of this and a lot of thought(and research) did go behind this post lol. anyway thats just my assessment of it all and overall was impressed enough to go back.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
On a side note iOS now supports MiFi game controllers,does Android.
over 1500 new API's were open to developers so expect to see awesome new apps for iOS.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
JHBThree and NothingIsTrue, you both make some valid points, but in the end the topic involves some level of fact, some level of opinion, and a fair amount of uncertainty. As I said earlier, only time will tell how iOS 7 will compare to or affect the other major platforms. It was my intention to close this thread tonight, but between the posts on this page by Captainbob and Chetan it seems there may be some life in it yet.

I'm going to move this over to the iPhone/iOS forum. If things are constructive, the thread will stay open.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
JHBThree and NothingIsTrue, you both make some valid points, but in the end the topic involves some level of fact, some level of opinion, and a fair amount of uncertainty. As I said earlier, only time will tell how iOS 7 will compare to or affect the other major platforms. It was my intention to close this thread tonight, but between the posts on this page by Captainbob and Chetan it seems there may be some life in it yet.

I'm going to move this over to the iPhone/iOS forum. If things are constructive, the thread will stay open.

I wanted to show him my unbias thoughts on it, do you believe my assessment of iOS 7 vs Android was fair?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Let's start:

This is much easier to understand than, "it's a massive upgrade".

I have no further points in this thread if we can agree that some people thing iOS just passed Android and some think they're equal, while others think that Android is still ahead. Who's right? All? None? It really depends on if you're comparing feature for feature, or via another method.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I have no further points in this thread if we can agree that some people thing iOS just passed Android and some think they're equal, while others think that Android is still ahead. Who's right? All? None? It really depends on if you're comparing feature for feature, or via another method.

Do you understand where I am coming from when I say it is a massive upgrade now though? stock to stock IMO they are equal now.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Except no one is asserting android is going to regress. What he is in fact asserting is that the point made here and elsewhere, that even 4.x is better than iOS 7, is not true.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
I must be on the wrong website because I've only seen a couple of people here make that claim. I think you put way too much stock in one man's opinions. That's the real root of the problem with your stance.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
That idea is still confusing. Are we losing features in KLP? Is Google making a funny?

I just find that unlikely.

Also confused why we're discussing KLP when it's speculated that 4.3 is next.

That doesn't address what Libertarian said to you. His point was that 4.2 already IS better than iOS 7. So it doesn't really matter what blackmanx thinks of KLP either way. KLP could blow chunks and it doesn't make any difference since it's already better without it at all.

Maybe he is talking about the name, I mean really, out of all the pies out there, do you guys prefer Key Lime....?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
1.Multitasking-Android already has it, the iOS version however, automatically updates the apps you use the most and eventually kills the least used apps. the interface despite many peoples thinking is more like Web OS then Android(iOS now supports background tasks)
On Android you can decide on a per-app basis what you want to update automatically. Android has had background tasks for years.

2.New folders- iOS 4 had folders before Android and the limit was 12-16 apps on the iPhone, Android also has folders but limited(same as iOS?). with iOS 7 you can have endless pages of folders. Google should implement that.
Android has as many folders as you want...just install another launcher. On iOS you are stuck with whatever limits Apple imposes on you, because you cannot upgrade the launcher. I have never run into any limits with Nova Launcher for example.

Of course...folders are a lot less necessary on Android. Because all your icons live in the app drawer...the only ones you want to see on the desktop are the ones you put there yourself. There is no need to group crap into folders to get it out of your way on Android.

3. Today view- VERY similar to Google Now, Apples take on it though(and slightly different) It shows you weather and has a stocks widget with all the reminders and calendar events you have scheduled
All of that can be done via widgets on Android already. Even from the lock screen. Stock widgets seem to be standard on virtually every Android phone now. In fact, any Apple feature could be added directly to the lock screen on Android.

5.New look-Some people will like it most people will love it, but can't please everyone.
Android can. Because Android's UI is not written in stone as Apple's is. Android can therefore literally be all things to all people where the UI is concerned.

(It can even copy Apple)

6. Control centre- This ones a funny one, people say it is a copy of quick tiles, but I don't see how. Quick tiles doesnt have an option to launch apps from it like control centre(and it doesn't have as many toggles)
Android has allowed you to do that from the notification drawer since...well...forever.

7. Air drop- No one can deny this is new and iOS 7 is the only one to have something like this. basically it uses wifi direct to allow sharing of Photos, videos, book links, youtube links and any app that has air dropable content will be able to use this feature. Android has NFC but if you want to share to multiple people you have to go around bumping phones.
Oh yeah, that is something Android has never had.

Oh, wait a minute:
SuperBeam: Transfer files using Wifi Direct, NFC or QR codes
SuperBeam: Transfer files using Wifi Direct, NFC or QR codes | Android Central
Hmmm...I am guessing it is not even the only app that can do that.

8.Auto app updates- Yeah Android had it before but isnt it just common sense to add it?
A lot of your "features" seem to be things that Android has already had for years. I think it is great that iOS is finally catching up, but this is not a reason the platform is better. It is just less-worse-than-Android than it was before. Adding features that the competition has already had for years does not make the platform better than the competition.

9.New camera UI-looks nothing like my Nexus 4's camera UI plain and simple and iOS has live filters where as the N4 has filters after. Apple has panorama but Google has Photosphere.
Google ALSO has panorama, and has had it on all Android phones for years. Photosphere is like Panorama Plus.

I skipped your Safari argument because, well, Google already trounces Apple there too. Even if you don't like Chrome there are several different browsers to choose from. And thanks to Google's 3rd party app integration, ANY of them can be made your default. You are not stuck with Chrome if you don't like it. 3rd party app integration is a huge feature that iOS is likely never to get.

All in all iOS drew small inspiration from Android
...that some might call stealing.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/year-of-the-copycats.jpeg

But I guess the addition of an Apple logo converts stealing to "inspiration" eh?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I have no further points in this thread if we can agree that some people thing iOS just passed Android and some think they're equal, while others think that Android is still ahead. Who's right?
The people who say Android is still ahead.

All iOS points have been debunked. iOS7 adds new features for once (and that is definitely progress), but they are features already present on Android. No one has given an example of a new feature Android does not already have.

Widgets? 3rd party app integration? iOS has a ways to go yet.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The people who say Android is still ahead.

All iOS points have been debunked. iOS7 adds new features for once (and that is definitely progress), but they are features already present on Android. No one has given an example of a new feature Android does not already have.

Widgets? 3rd party app integration? iOS has a ways to go yet.

In the final analysis, who cares? No way I would be moving into Apple's closed little system and force myself to live with what they give me. I have a lot of confidence in Google to be honest, and believe theat Google is much more responsive to change and more likely to advance more quickly, just as they have for several years now.

Besides, I like choice in manufacturers and devices. I like to make the device look and work the way I find pleasing. I hate my homescreen being my app drawer. I like widgets. I find the claims that no one uses widgets is highly dubious. I like larger screens. Maybe Apple will finally start making larger screen devices, but it is a bit ironic that all the iOS fanboys argued for years that the iphone was the perfect size and anything larger was an atrocity.

The only thing I found remotely interesting in the iOS 7 presentation was the photo gallery organization. That looked pretty slick. Everything else just looked like something that can be done already or done better in the Android world, be it using launchers or widgets or apps.

So apple would really have to re-invent the smartphone for me to even consider switchnig to iOS, and iOS 7 is clearly not a re-invention of the smartphone.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
iOS multitasking does nothing that Android multitasking doesn't.

That's very wrong. Android had folders way before iOS. And Android folders don't have limitations; you can have as many folders as you want and as many apps as you want within a single folder. Also, you can put an app into multiple folders, unlike on iOS.

I assume by "quick tiles" you mean Quick Settings (remember, this is Android, not WP ;)). It is true that QS is more limited, but on Android, you can add toggles and settings on your notification bar to the extent that they surpass CC by far. Can't do that on iOS.

7. Air drop- No one can deny this is new and iOS 7 is the only one to have something like this. basically it uses wifi direct to allow sharing of Photos, videos, book links, youtube links and any app that has air dropable content will be able to use this feature. Android has NFC but if you want to share to multiple people you have to go around bumping phones. With Air drop you can send multiple people the same content without moving and without doing it again and again.
S Beam has Wi-Fi direct.

Please don't tell me you forgot that Android also has panorama and had it far before iOS. :)

Overall, I think in this post, you were pretty unbiased sometimes but at other times left out major things that Android has and had for a while.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
iOS multitasking does nothing that Android multitasking doesn't.

That's very wrong. Android had folders way before iOS. And Android folders don't have limitations; you can have as many folders as you want and as many apps as you want within a single folder. Also, you can put an app into multiple folders, unlike on iOS.

I assume by "quick tiles" you mean Quick Settings (remember, this is Android, not WP ;)). It is true that QS is more limited, but on Android, you can add toggles and settings on your notification bar to the extent that they surpass CC by far. Can't do that on iOS.

S Beam has Wi-Fi direct.

Please don't tell me you forgot that Android also has panorama and had it far before iOS. :)

Overall, I think in this post, you were pretty unbiased sometimes but at other times left out major things that Android has and had for a while.

I will be refuting yours and Jeff's post when I get on my laptop.

Posted via Android Central App

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
At the expense of massive issues. Like how my bloody Nexus 4 froze up and I couldn't turn it off. Yeah,no thanks I don't want the type of control that allows the device to get that messed up

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I swear. Buy you sound like a moron. The iPhone freezes too. I have had my nexus 4 since January without one hitch. The operating system is anything but laggy or prone to freezing. I ran it stock for a couple months and have since rooted it and installed in the neighborhood of at least 10 custom Roms all of which were incredibly smooth and bug free.. In all likelihood, you have no idea what you are doing.

But back to the iPhone. They freeze too. They don't have a removable battery and they are prone to hitches. What the hell is your point? IOS 7 in my opinion, looks great. Who cares. Its subjective to us all. Just stop with the whole, IOS is more stable. The only thing better at this point is the cleaner app interfaces.

/rant

ncvikingx97

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I see what you guys are saying when comparing stock to stock in terms of features , and while both have solid pros and con's, android is still a much more "fully fledged"os. Saying that STOCK android is as good iOS 7 is a cop out , because you are basically cutting out the immense customizability, features, and system changing apps that make android what it is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I see what you guys are saying when comparing stock to stock in terms of features , and while both have solid pros and con's, android is still a much more "fully fledged"os. Saying that STOCK android is as good iOS 7 is a cop out , because you are basically cutting out the immense customizability, features, and system changing apps that make android what it is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Android with it's heart cut out, as I like to say.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Android with it's heart cut out, as I like to say.

I like to think of iOS like a chocolate chip cookie. Sure, it's good but once you've had 5, they're boring. Android is a monster cookie, full of the same chocolate chips, but also peanut butter, oatmeal, m&ms and sometimes butterscotch.

cookie-monster.jpg

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I swear. Buy you sound like a moron. The iPhone freezes too. I have had my nexus 4 since January without one hitch. The operating system is anything but laggy or prone to freezing. I ran it stock for a couple months and have since rooted it and installed in the neighborhood of at least 10 custom Roms all of which were incredibly smooth and bug free.. In all likelihood, you have no idea what you are doing.

But back to the iPhone. They freeze too. They don't have a removable battery and they are prone to hitches. What the hell is your point? IOS 7 in my opinion, looks great. Who cares. Its subjective to us all. Just stop with the whole, IOS is more stable. The only thing better at this point is the cleaner app interfaces.

/rant

I know this might be unbelievable to you. The only time I have ever had an iPhone freeze was one of three situations. (3g to 5)

I ran beta os on it.

I jailbroke the phone for experimentation.

I ran ios 4 on the 3g. (Utter nightmare)

I have had apps crash on me but that was before ARC was implemented. Memory management was a common headache for lazy developers before ARC.

I haven't had my GS4 freeze on me yet either.

But I also believe that if a current flagship phone freezing is more likely due to bad development and/or user error.

And on IOS being more stable than Android I feel a lot of that has to do with the fact that Apple doesn't allow you to play as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFG