Droid MAXX Dropped once... cracked screen!!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard, sapphire glass has a higher hardness rating. The problem is, the higher the hardness rating, the more brittle it is. It's harder to scratch, but again is more brittle. Something like a plastic would be least likely to crack or shatter, but is worse for scratches.

The key with being shatter proof or shatter resistant is the ability to absorb an impact or flexibility. But materials like that aren't scratch proof or scratch resistant. So until there's a breakthrough, it seems that there are two options. Either shatter resistance or scratch resistance. While some claim my phone has been dropped multiple times and never cracked, in the end, it's pure luck. The factors that determine if it cracks or not is weight of the object, types of material (type of glass and hardness rating), type of surface it's dropped on, height of the fall, angle of impact, and even temperature of the glass. That's a lot of factors, and is almost impossible to predict when it will crack. The drop test videos never seem to be consistent, which seem to corroborate this.

Just depends on needs. I'll take scratch resistance considering I've yet to drop a phone. Others would rather have drop resistance. Just personal preference.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

jrydberg2

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm replying to an old post, but have you been able to replace the screen? Motorola sent mine back to me because they don't have the parts! If you have, please let me know where you got it fixed, and thanks!

Jeff

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm replying to an old post, but have you been able to replace the screen? Motorola sent mine back to me because they don't have the parts! If you have, please let me know where you got it fixed, and thanks!

Jeff

That doesn't even make sense! All that tells me is to never buy a Motorola because they can't stay on top of anything. :(

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just depends on needs. I'll take scratch resistance considering I've yet to drop a phone. Others would rather have drop resistance. Just personal preference.

Myself I have always used both a case and a screen protector. The cases I've always used are the TPU style (called high gloss silicone on Verizon's site) and the Verizon type that come 3 to a pack. The TPU adds a bit of cushioning in a fall, and I think the screen protector also helps to prevent cracking/shattering, the same as if you had put packing tape on a glass. One more layer means more strength IMHO.

The only thing that might make a difference is if they get a truly flexible phone, which would have to have a screen that prevents cracking.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Myself I have always used both a case and a screen protector. The cases I've always used are the TPU style (called high gloss silicone on Verizon's site) and the Verizon type that come 3 to a pack. The TPU adds a bit of cushioning in a fall, and I think the screen protector also helps to prevent cracking/shattering, the same as if you had put packing tape on a glass. One more layer means more strength IMHO.

The only thing that might make a difference is if they get a truly flexible phone, which would have to have a screen that prevents cracking.

I'm not entirely sure but I have a difficult time believing those screen protectors do a thing. Tempered Glass is the only way to go but sadly due to the limited availability of the Droid line, no one makes them. These at least provide shock protection for the screen.

As for the case I found those Verizon TPU Gel cases to be awful. I had one on my Droid Maxx at the time and quickly dumped it. When you need a case check out Amazon for a TPU by Tudia for around $7. Great cases for the price and I've been using it on my Note.

P.S. - send me your battery. I miss mine. :p

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure but I have a difficult time believing those screen protectors do a thing. Tempered Glass is the only way to go but sadly due to the limited availability of the Droid line, no one makes them. These at least provide shock protection for the screen.

They do two things:

- they prevent small scratches and micro-scratches, which many people think is what causes most GG shatters when stressed.
- if the screen actually does scratch, they will hold the glass in place and allow you to use the phone for a while

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
They do two things:

- they prevent small scratches and micro-scratches, which many people think is what causes most GG shatters when stressed.
- if the screen actually does scratch, they will hold the glass in place and allow you to use the phone for a while

True. All I was saying is that I don't believe it provides any impact protection. There's still reason to use them no doubt.

Tooltomus

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
My Droid Maxx screen cracked in the top right hand corner from the front facing camera all the way down to volume rocker on the side. But I NEVER dropped it. It was sitting on the charger all night and the next morning that was the first thing I noticed.
I had a Droid 2 for four years, and that screen never cracked.

swimmer777

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had the new Droid MAXX for a week and dropped it once and multiple cracks shoot across the screen� Kevlar backing�. great, but it won't stop it from shattering my screen? Anyone else have problems with the delicacy of this phone? I previously had the Droid Razr and have dropped that more than once to just have it walk away with a slight scratch. The weight of the phone and glass coming to the edges I am sure plays a roll. I shouldn't have to feel like I am carrying a new born infant every time I pull out my phone�.

The same problem! Phone was 22 days new. Dropped from pocket with otter box on. Have been RAZR loyal for years. Can't wait for another contract to end.

Last edited by a moderator:

d2784

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Droid maxx ad campaign made this device sound very rugged but I dropped mine on carpet and screen cracked right through the home button making it almost impossible to use as it would push home button by itself constantly. After a month of complaining up to "level 3 supervision" at Motorola I was able to get a replacement droid maxx... 4 days later... Slid off bed screen cracked:/

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped mine numerous times on tile and not one scatch

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it's how it lands. If it lands on the corner I think it has more of a propensity to crack the screen. I've dropped mine and had it land on the side or bottom and it's been fine. My wife dropped mine about 10 days ago and it cracked it from the bottom right corner to about midway up the phone opposite the corner it landed on. I haven't shelled out the $100 to get a new one yet because the crack isn't through the top layer and other than the annoyance of a crack really hasn't impacted the phones functionality.

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon bumper case has saved my phone on several occasions. It slipped from the roof off my car onto the ground without a scratch.

I'm not crazy about cases but this one is so minimal that it doesn't interfere with phone usage, and the uncovered back means it works well with inductive chargers.

cmackay100

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I just dropped mine too it is cracked the screen bad. Never had a scratch on the Razor Maxx or the Droid X. This is bad. Spider cracks throughout. Never realized it was so delicate.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yep, wife dropped hers the other day, has a bumper on it. About three feet, maybe! onto a tile floor. Screwed. $240 is the best quote so far! $240!! Obscene. So much for Gorilla 3 durability. What BS. Why can't they use Lexan?

foolishness

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
It's complete chance how the phone lands. Dropped a razr maxx once, screen shattered, beat the hell out of my droid maxx, never a problem. Threw an X at my windshield, cracked the windshield but the phone was fine. It's purely chance. Get an otterbox then the corners of the phone won't hit and crack the glass.

GalaxyFan68

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Amazing. Having had many phones back to the original razor flip phone, I can count on one hand how many times I've dropped my phone... And still have fingers left over.

These stories of dropping and breaking several phones in a week is very telling.

Dear phone company, I'm a total spaz, please replace my phone that I can't seem to hold onto for more than 30 seconds. Your phones must be at fault. You should have known that I was a klutz.

I hope that the chronic droppers never try to hold a baby... Gee honey, I know I dropped her yesterday but this time she just fell off the couch.

Posted via the Android Central App

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Why can't they use Lexan?

Lexan is just polycarbonate. It is quite breakable. I'll try to compare the properties of both later, but I will say it has a much lower hardness than gorilla glass, which means it's easy to scratch. Automotive headlights use it but they use a hard coating to prevent scratches and chips. Not sure if it makes sense to use it in a very thin application even with this type of coating. Could be too flexible.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jannel91