Thinking on leaving Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Users with no issues usually don't post in forums.
You only see users with complaints, a very small % of all users.

So that means ignore the hundreds who do complain? You know who you sound like? Those who denied bendgate. "It only affects a few hundred no big deal". They is no telling how many who do have issues and don't complain to the internet.

Posted via the Android Central App

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Why can't the OS creator have the foresight to make software that can run on multiple hardware types?

Android runs on multiple hardware devices, from $100 budget ones to $1000 premium latest and greatest. You don't expect it to run the same way on all hardware, do you? You get what you pay for.

Same with Windows - it runs acceptable on Atom with 2GB RAM, but runs much better on i7 with 16GB or more. User experience on different hardware is completely different, even with exactly the same OS.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why can't the OS creator have the foresight to make software that can run on multiple hardware types? Microsoft can do it.

Oh they do set it up to run on multiple hardware types... but then those OEM's change the software. It's no secret that Google tends to opt for top of the line hardware in their reference devices - though occasionally they have under-clocked a processor, etc. Android can run on just about anything, from a watch, to a washer and dryer, a TV or a phone. That's the flexibility. What they don't recommend is trying to put their software on a Harley and then only giving it enough power to run a toaster.

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
So that means ignore the hundreds who do complain?

Yes. Few hundreds complaining form a very small group compared to all Android users. And you never know what exactly the issue is. Be sure at least half of issues are user created and have nothing to do with hardware or OS. I sound realistic and I have quite some experience in customer support. Usually about 5 complaints of 100 are legitimate, the rest 95 are user created (at least in my field).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Why can't the OS creator have the foresight to make software that can run on multiple hardware types? Microsoft can do it.

Except the hardware vendors provide the drivers needed to run Windows on their hardware as a separate download from the OS. While the hardware may work with the Windows Update version of the drivers, often times you can get more advanced features if you go to the vendor's site and grab the driver package.

Android is similar except the OS is delivered to the device with the drivers pre-packaged because the OEM is providing the OS fully tested (though things DO slip through). Windows Phone works the same way as Android. iOS is similar but it's less transparent, all the time spent installing the OTA updates isn't JUST updating the OS files but also determining which Apple device it's on and optimizing the software for that hardware as well as disabling features of the OS that aren't compatible with that hardware (Siri on iPad2 comes to mind).

BTW, I use all of Google's services, Google Play Services is using 58 MB of the RAM on my Moto X. While it has the highest RAM usage of anything running on my phone (not by much) it's hardly a "resource hog".

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what that is. But Windows 10 will run on anything as far back 5 years or even more. Windows has always been so diverse in hardware support. And Windows can be operated without Microsoft just fine unlike Android where without Google you lose most of the appeal of Android.

My Lumia 920 was laggy on 8.1 Cyan. It isn't any better on Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It seems like most of the issues on that reddit thread were with the moto G 5 months ago. Was it specific to a lollipop issue? I'm just curious.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Android runs on multiple hardware devices, from $100 budget ones to $1000 premium latest and greatest. You don't expect it to run the same way on all hardware, do you? You get what you pay for.

Same with Windows - it runs acceptable on Atom with 2GB RAM, but runs much better on i7 with 16GB or more. User experience on different hardware is completely different, even with exactly the same OS.

No, they all get the same OS regardless of specs. Windows is Windows regardless if it is some cheap HP Stream 11 or a Dell XPS 13. They run the same version of Windows which is my point.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Few hundreds complaining form a very small group compared to all Android users. And you never know what exactly the issue is. Be sure at least half of issues are user created and have nothing to do with hardware or OS. I sound realistic and I have quite some experience in customer support. Usually about 5 complaints of 100 are legitimate, the rest 95 are user created (at least in my field).

So ignore anyone who complains just because not everyone is complaining? That is shoddy logic.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Except the hardware vendors provide the drivers needed to run Windows on their hardware as a separate download from the OS. While the hardware may work with the Windows Update version of the drivers, often times you can get more advanced features if you go to the vendor's site and grab the driver package.

Android is similar except the OS is delivered to the device with the drivers pre-packaged because the OEM is providing the OS fully tested (though things DO slip through). Windows Phone works the same way as Android. iOS is similar but it's less transparent, all the time spent installing the OTA updates isn't JUST updating the OS files but also determining which Apple device it's on and optimizing the software for that hardware as well as disabling features of the OS that aren't compatible with that hardware (Siri on iPad2 comes to mind).

BTW, I use all of Google's services, Google Play Services is using 58 MB of the RAM on my Moto X. While it has the highest RAM usage of anything running on my phone (not by much) it's hardly a "resource hog".

That is the difference. I at most can have 200MB of RAM free, Google Services will ramp up in usage in use up to around 60MB while in comparison any of my other background apps or services are under 20MB. Hell I have seen Google Services be at over 100MB when I used the Google Launcher. I had to stop using it because Google Services and the Google App made my battery life shorter and used a bunch of RAM causing apps to be consistently kicked out and the homescreen keep redrawing anytime I went home.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It seems like most of the issues on that reddit thread were with the moto G 5 months ago. Was it specific to a lollipop issue? I'm just curious.

No. It was kitkat, I made a few comments on a similar thread, and people commented corroborating how Google Services is in fact a resource hog with 1GB of RAM phones.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
No. It was kitkat, I made a few comments on a similar thread, and people commented corroborating how Google Services is in fact a resource hog with 1GB of RAM phones.

That's really interesting. Google services uses very little on my Nexus 6.

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
No, they all get the same OS regardless of specs. Windows is Windows regardless if it is some cheap HP Stream 11 or a Dell XPS 13. They run the same version of Windows which is my point.

And your point is based on wrong conclusions. You get the same installation disk, but the Setup process installs different drivers for each specific hardware. And there are some limitations - there is no support for old hardware and not all the functions are available on all hardware configurations. Basically each Windows installation is different. Take a hard drive from one computer and install it on another - the OS will try to identify the new hardware on first boot and install drivers needed (if available). If the hardware is totally different (AMD to Intel system, for example), the OS won't be able to boot at all. The changes are too big to fix on the fly.

Android is no different, the core OS is all the same (from Google), the drivers and skins are different. The main difference is that you (in case you make your own ROM) or the manufacturer (official releases) compile the ROM for a specific device (no other drivers needed) on a computer before it is loaded on the device. On device setup process (like Windows) is not needed. I used to port ROMs on my Galaxy S intended for different (but similar) devices by replacing the device drivers with the ones I need for my Galaxy S. And as a result 2010 Galaxy S was running Android versions that Samsung never imagined will run on this phone.

The beauty of Android is that with some knowledge you can do whatever you want with your device. Just like with your Windows computer. Don't like the UI? Change it! Missing some functionality? Add it! Want pure Vanilla Android? You have it! Want to build your own unique UI? Just do it, tools are available! No other mobile OS provides such flexibility. Want security and stability? Use original manufacturer software. In 99% it provides everything needed for an average user. There will be always people who complain about something. You can't make everyone happy. No chance.

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
That's really interesting. Google services uses very little on my Nexus 6.

Same here:

Google Play Services - 48MB
2 processes and 5 services

Device: HTC One
OS version: Lollipop 5.0.2

System: 272MB of RAM
Apps: 414MB of RAM
Free: 1.1GB of RAM

This is after normal use and no restart for days. OP, what exactly to worry about?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Google has announced that it wants all previous devices on Kit Kat and after that going forward it would appear that there is a two year update path. Out the box you have the newest version and later you get the next and finally your last. My One m8 came with Kitkat and 2 months ago I got Lollipop. So in a little under a year I should get Android M. That's the path.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
You can go to Windows but there are more cons than pros.
1. Very limited app store
2. Harder to use Google Services
3. Limited Customization ,you don't like something about Android then change it.
4. Cool stuff. There is so many cool things Android is capable of that not having it would suck. Ex. Moving wallpaper
5. Hardware this is less of a problem with things like the HTC One For Windows. But you don't need to have the newest phone. I am perfectly fine with my m8 if you want the older hardware options just use them and install Cyanogen or something.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The issue isn't Google. It is the fact that for someone like me, Android is become less appealing. I can see some glaring issues in Androids current state that make me question using Android as a smartphone platform going forward.

Then just move on. Or are you trying to get people to change your mind? Just use what you want and get over it.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia 520 with windows 10 on it and its a train wreck. Lag doesn't even begin to describe how slow that phone is with W10.
Same thing with your friends 4S on iOS 8. It's so slow and lags so much its a horrible experience.
Take it to a store with an iPhone 6 and do some speed comparisons.

Buy a flagship instead of junk and see the difference. Buy a 2013 moto x. it has LP and runs fine and is not a phablet.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You can go to Windows but there are more cons than pros.
1. Very limited app store
2. Harder to use Google Services
3. Limited Customization ,you don't like something about Android then change it.*

1.) I don't use many apps
2.)I don't care about Google Services. I only use Google Maps and that is a rarity because I know my way around Atlanta.
3.) I don't care about customization. I only change the wallpaper, and have a couple widgets. That's it.

4. Cool stuff. There is so many cool things Android is capable of that not having it would suck. Ex. Moving wallpaper
5. Hardware this is less of a problem with things like the HTC One For Windows. But you don't need to have the newest phone. I am perfectly fine with my m8 if you want the older hardware options just use them and install Cyanogen or something.

4.) Live wallpapers suck. I haven't used them regularly since my droid incredible 2

5.) The only issue is they have limited high end phones. Other than that they have plenty of midrange devices.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nokia 520 with windows 10 on it and its a train wreck. Lag doesn't even begin to describe how slow that phone is with W10.
Same thing with your friends 4S on iOS 8. It's so slow and lags so much its a horrible experience.
Take it to a store with an iPhone 6 and do some speed comparisons.

Buy a flagship instead of junk and see the difference. Buy a 2013 moto x. it has LP and runs fine and is not a phablet.

The Moto X 2013 is old and won't be getting any updates after lollipop. I would be surprised if it made to Android M. Plus it does not have a micro SD card slot. Something I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9