Same here:

Google Play Services - 48MB
2 processes and 5 services

Device: HTC One
OS version: Lollipop 5.0.2

System: 272MB of RAM
Apps: 414MB of RAM
Free: 1.1GB of RAM

This is after normal use and no restart for days. OP, what exactly to worry about?

I don't have that much RAM. Google Services runs up to 12 processes all the time. When a service that is not directly an app is running constantly in the background, I have less RAM to use for other apps and even games. I can disable Google Services and performance will noticeable increase. Again, I made a post before about it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thread needs a break. Remember, we're here to discuss the topics, not other users. Some off topic posted have been cleaned.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Reopened, please try to stay on topic. Trolling, personal attacks and other disruptive posting sitka be avoided.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with your choice. I've tried others (like iOS) and while it's okay for awhile since it's new.. I always regret it and come back to my comfy spot on Android :).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with your choice. I've tried others (like iOS) and while it's okay for awhile since it's new.. I always regret it and come back to my comfy spot on Android :).

The OP said that he has a lot invested into the Windows ecosystem, so hopefully it does work out. I also like playing with other devices/operating systems, but so far I haven't seen anything worthy of being a daily driver.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
WP10 looks promising I'll admit. The problem is that BB10 was touted as the holy grail of an OS revival to finally bring a revolutionary product that stood a chance of breaking the iOS-Android duopoly and it fell flat on its face. Having said that, MS does have more resources to not make that mistake but even if they manage to rapidly grow it into a mature and attractive enough alternative to climb into double digit marketshare, that's not going to happen overnight. It's not going to come out of the gates with a fully fledged app store and featureset, it's going to take about a year+ for their vision to flesh out. So what I'm saying here is that if WP10 is going to be a worthy switch, it won't be right now. If you're tired of Android you'd be better served to wait until you see how it pans out instead of jumping on board as an early adopter right away. The problem with jumping on to up-and-coming OS alternatives is that Google doesn't just stand still when those happen, new things happen on Android as well. Every time MS or BB does something to catch up to Android features, new things happen on Android as well. Cortana is a good example of this. MS did a great job of launching Cortana and IMO it launched as a superior product to Siri and a rival to Google Now. But Google Now has had a good number of improvements since Cortana went live to pull it ahead again.

WP10 is going to sink or swim on their app selection. They may have made it easier to port apps from iOS and Android, but no matter how easy you make it, developers still need to be convinced to invest even the smallest effort to not only port, but maintain an app on devices with single digit market share user base. This in a nutshell is the WP conundrum: They need apps to attract users, but they need users to attract app developers. History has proven time and again that it doesn't matter how cool you make an OS, if the general public can't get the apps they want on it they don't care to switch, especially since the other OS doesn't actually DO anything that new that they can't already get with the incumbents. You can still surf the web, use email, cloud, music, launch apps, etc as readily on an Android or iOS device as you can on WP10 or BB10 but the difference is that the latter don't have the same app selection and developer support

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm torn on it. I wanted to air out some grievances I had with the platform (which wasn't received well) and there are very few Android devices that interest me at all.

vbdwork

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm torn on it. I wanted to air out some grievances I had with the platform (which wasn't received well) and there are very few Android devices that interest me at all.

Again, just get a good hardware Android device. Same OS on entry-level SoC with 1GB RAM and high-end SoC with 2GB RAM (or more) feels completely different. On a slow device you tap on the screen and wait for the device to do something. On a fast device you tap on the screen, get the results instantly and then the device waits for you to do something.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Again, just get a good hardware Android device. Same OS on entry-level SoC with 1GB RAM and high-end SoC with 2GB RAM (or more) feels completely different. On a slow device you tap on the screen and wait for the device to do something. On a fast device you tap on the screen, get the results instantly and then the device waits for you to do something.

Sounds all well and good, but again, very few Android devices interest me. I am not complaining about performance. My phone runs fine. Besides multitasking sometimes its fine. But my issue is that everything I want in a device is too niche so I am continuing to use my Droid RAZR M.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds all well and good, but again, very few Android devices interest me. I am not complaining about performance. My phone runs fine. Besides multitasking sometimes its fine. But my issue is that everything I want in a device is too niche so I am continuing to use my Droid RAZR M.

What's wrong with multitasking? If you hate how Android does it I am almost sure you'd hate something like iOS... It's a big pain there.

Windows phone though.. Not sure how it's handled. I've never used one so I can't really comment.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with multitasking? If you hate how Android does it I am almost sure you'd hate something like iOS... It's a big pain there.

Windows phone though.. Not sure how it's handled. I've never used one so I can't really comment.

Come on. Is no one reading my posts? I am not complaining about how android handles multitasking. I am talking about how I have 1GB of RAM so apps don't stay in memory long. That's it. Android multitasking is one of the best in mobile. I am just talking about MY phone in particular.

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Come on. Is no one reading my posts? I am not complaining about how android handles multitasking. I am talking about how I have 1GB of RAM so apps don't stay in memory long. That's it. Android multitasking is one of the best in mobile. I am just talking about MY phone in particular.

How many apps do you feel like are acceptable? 1 gb of ram only goes so far....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I ... wasn't saying you were complaining? I was simply saying .. if you have any complaints about Android multi-tasking (as you stated you had minor issues with it) that you wouldn't like iOS.

Please do not take everything as an attack -- all it does is promote bad news for the forum and nothing good comes of it. I was simply discussing .. I didn't attack you or dis-credit you in any way.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I ... wasn't saying you were complaining? I was simply saying .. if you have any complaints about Android multi-tasking (as you stated you had minor issues with it) that you wouldn't like iOS.

Please do not take everything as an attack -- all it does is promote bad news for the forum and nothing good comes of it. I was simply discussing .. I didn't attack you or dis-credit you in any way.

Again, I wasn't complaining about Android multitasking. I was talking about my phone and its performance with multitasking. That's it. I don't have complaints with Android multitasking, just with MY phone multitasking because of the 1GB of RAM.

And no I didn't take it as an attack, but it seems no one here is actually reading what I am typing.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not really. It only uses about 45 mb. That isn't much.

To you. When you have 1GB of RAM and only have 250 or less free and you want to check feedly, it uses it what precious RAM you have plus the RAM used by feedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.