Anker Quick charger vs Stock Charger - Test & Results

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
This was being discussed in another thread but I feel this topic deserves it's own thread and the other thread wasn't about this specifically.

I ran a test using a Quick Charger (Anker Quick Charge 2.0). All variables for the test were the same except for the charger. I had same settings, and left the screen off on both. I took a random percentage as a starting and stopping point. Perhaps in the future I'll do to 100%.

Anker Charger
18-71% in 40 minutes

Stock G4 Charger
18-71% in 49 minutes

The Anker Charger is a bit over 18% faster in this example.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine was just delivered to my desk. Don't need to charge yet though lol :D.

Attachments

• 1434138123151.jpg
    1434138123151.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 119

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
And we are using the same Anker charger , correct? Just curious.

Regardless, it does seem like we are experiencing about the same results. Good to know!

Correct. Exact same one. It shows green when quick charging (supposedly).

I want to do a test from X % to 100% with the phone OFF to see how fast it will charge using both.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I want to do a test from X % to 100% with the phone OFF to see how fast it will charge using both.

I want you to do that test, too. And I'll compare to mine, lol.

Mine was just delivered to my desk. Don't need to charge yet though lol :D.

Enjoy that dabnaggit cord, lol. As you said, though, it's on your desk, so you don't need anything longer. Thank god for my extender.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I want you to do that test, too. And I'll compare to mine, lol.

Enjoy that dabnaggit cord, lol. As you said, though, it's on your desk, so you don't need anything longer. Thank god for my extender.

Careful on the extenders. I have one that absolutely kills my charging speeds. Not sure why.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yep. This is my view to the left of me -- As you can see it is right near me :).

Attachments

• 1434139308257.jpg
    1434139308257.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 102

QuickStorm

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anker Quick charger vs Stock Charger - Test & Results

My wife's GS6 quick charger charged 5-43% in 110 minutes. So I'm interested in seeing how this Anker charger is compatible with G4

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

My wife's GS6 quick charger charged 5-43% in 110 minutes. So I'm interested in seeing how this Anker charger is compatible with G4

Sounds about as fast as my Nexus 6 charger. The Anker will probably do that in less than 30 minutes.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

My same S6 charger will charge faster around 1 and a half hrs from 1%-100 but I must time it to get real figures.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am trying it now to ensure it works. Plugged in at 4:50 at 52% .. It is 5:02 PM now with 64%.. Slowly going.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So looks like ... 4:50 at 52% ... 5:50 - 100% .. Definitely not quick charge. This will be something I miss from my S6 but definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

So looks like ... 4:50 at 52% ... 5:50 - 100% .. Definitely not quick charge. This will be something I miss from my S6 but definitely not a deal breaker for me.

50% per hour is not that fast, I get that with my G2. I thought QC was meant to speed up charging from very low percentages to mid percentages and then slow down so it doesn't over charge the battery.

Would be interesting to see what it goes from 2% to 50% in.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm enjoying the speed of the Anker QC charger, but I'm glad to see that someone else still believes it's not quite Quick Charge yet.
I think LG still hasn't implemented it on the G4 yet, and it'll be another software update. Either that, or they lied :-o lol

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

50% per hour is not that fast, I get that with my G2. I thought QC was meant to speed up charging from very low percentages to mid percentages and then slow down so it doesn't over charge the battery.

Would be interesting to see what it goes from 2% to 50% in.

Yes, that's what it is supposed to do but it's not doing it on this phone. The results on this phone don't meet the spec.
Read some posts on XDA speculating that it's related to heat and the phone has been tweaked to protect the battery. Makes sense but who knows until LG says something or does something about it.

My phone just went from 3% to 52% in 41 minutes. So about. 1.2%/min. I have the Tenergy charger.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I believe the heat relationship.

I did some quick testing last night. Stock charger and cable, screen on, my charge current appeared to increase when I removed the phone's back and had a fan blowing across it.

As the displayed battery temperature decreased, the phone appeared to increase the charge current.

So if the battery gets "too warm", the phone may be throttling back the current.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe the heat relationship.

I did some quick testing last night. Stock charger and cable, screen on, my charge current appeared to increase when I removed the phone's back and had a fan blowing across it.

As the displayed battery temperature decreased, the phone appeared to increase the charge current.

So if the battery gets "too warm", the phone may be throttling back the current.

Were you measuring charge current with anything like Ampere?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm enjoying the speed of the Anker QC charger, but I'm glad to see that someone else still believes it's not quite Quick Charge yet.
I think LG still hasn't implemented it on the G4 yet, and it'll be another software update. Either that, or they lied :-o lol

I am using the international model so not sure if they got QC. The ones in the US were supposed to have it right? I remember reading an article about it.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

GSam has a handy chart that makes it easy to compare. The first spike was with a Platinum Quick Charger from Best Buy, the second a Samsung charger I have from a Tab S 10.5. Looks like the Quick Charger only did about 10% higher rate of charge compared to a regular charger. It's hard to see in this pic but it's about 70% vs 62% per hour.

Screenshot_2015-06-13-09-31-47.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell