Nexus 6P Hotspot Disabled for ATT Unlimited Data Plan Users only?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Anthony2558: What phone were you on before? Did you have to exchange your sim from micro to nano? Did you restore your nexus from a different android phone? (PS was not trying to troll at all, was just hoping to get responses and figured I'd reach more people with keywords)

fanaticalism: I understand AT&T doesn't allow you to tether with unlimited plans. However on my nexus 5, the night before, I was able to tether without any issues and my unlimited plan hasn't changed in the past several years.

rk235: how did you set your nexus 6p up?

This could be because when I set up my phone I tried to pull down a lot of information from my nexus 5, just a shot in the dark, i will restore to factory and set up from scratch to see if i get different results and keep you posted. Expect a response by Friday afternoonish.
I went from an S6 to the 6P. Just swapped the SIM card from one into the other. I did not contact AT&T at all. I'm on a shared data plan with hotspot included. I migrated from my 6S.

Sorry about the trolling thing. There's just tons of posts with out the OP ever returning to say thanks, or to give an update.

TeamPowerstroke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

At $10 a GB on Project Fi, have fun with that! Could be less than att depending on how much you tether. Unlimited on Att is now 22GB on LTE plan before being throttled. I had fi on my Nexus 6 but the coverage was not where near att where I live in DFW.

I don't plan on tethering just speaking on grandfathered ATT plans, I get messages from ATT Saying they will throttle me after 6-7gb

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I don't plan on tethering just speaking on grandfathered ATT plans, I get messages from ATT Saying they will throttle me after 6-7gb

You shouldn't get those anymore. They're only allowed to throttle in congested areas -- not 100% of the time over an amount.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re:

This was changed a while back, from their website:
If you have an existing Unlimited Data Plan for your smartphone, here's what you need to know about changing data plans and adding devices, as well as some tips for avoiding reduced data speeds.

If you switch your smartphone Unlimited Data Plan to another data plan, you won't be able to switch back to the Unlimited Data Plan. To learn more, refer to our Smartphone Data Plan Requirement and Grandfathering Policy.

If you have a smartphone with an Unlimited Data Plan and you add another smartphone to your account, you'll have to select a data plan for the new smartphone, but your original smartphone will keep its Unlimited Data Plan.

Use Wi-Fi on your device whenever you can, especially for streaming video, which consumes large amounts of data. If you're connected via Wi-Fi, your data activity doesn't count toward your data threshold.

Monitor your data usage and avoid using 22GB or more in one billing cycle. Check your data usage anytime by calling *3282# (*DATA#) from your smartphone.

camdeoliviera

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Re:

planoman: I use anywhere from 20gb-40gb on a normal month, no way around that, so $10 per gig wont work for me :(

anthony2558: no problem at all with the trolling comment, i completely understand how annoying that is... twits... Maybe ill just have to move my nano sim between phones, and hopefully it will just register or something. Ill try the sim swapping tonight, if that doesn't work ill have to do a factory restore tomorrow or Friday and set up from scratch.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Hotspot Disabled for ATT Users only?

I've seen this problem switching sim from moto x to iPhone. After several days the hotpot just started working. Had the same message to call but I never called anyone.

I'm back on moto x before anyone here takes offense to the use of an iPhone.

Waiting for my N6P.

Stephman

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

OP, I'm experiencing the same issue.

AT&T Grandfathered Unlimited data plan.
I had a Micro SIM in a Oneplus One and I was able to create a WiFi hotspot using the app "Portable WiFi".
Purchased a Note 5 from AT&T and got a new Nano SIM card. But still kept my old plan and grandfathered unlimited data.
Did not like the Note 5 from AT&T because of all of AT&T's bloatware etc so returned the Note 5, and continued to use the Nano SIM in my Oneplus One via a Nano to Micro SIM adaptor. At this point, I do not recall if hotspot was still working on the OnePlus as I did not have a reason to try it. I still have the Oneplus One laying around so I'll have to try and report back.

Now I have the Nano SIM in my Nexus 6P and I am no longer able to create a Hotspot via Portable Wifi app nor the built in hotspot functionality within Android. :(

why_mutate_dup

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

I hate to add a "me too" post but I'm having the exact same problem. My company pays for my AT&T service and when I get a phone from AT&T, tethering options were always blocked but when I got Nexus devices that weren't pre-loaded with the mobile service provider crap-ware, I was always able to enable tethering. Up until a few days ago, I was doing just that with my Nexus 5. It was quite handy in a pinch but I didn't abuse my data caps.

I switched to a Nexus 6p a few days ago and popped in my same sim card. Everything on the phone works fine but if I try to enable tethering via USB or Wi-Fi it goes and checks with AT&T first to see if my plan supports tethering and reports back with the same error message you got. Tethering over bluetooth didn't give the same message but didn't really work either. I could ping out from my laptop but most other traffic was blocked. I checked in with my company IT staff today and they said AT&T doesn't allow "DataConnect" plan features to be added to our businesiness grade accounts, they'd just get me Mi-Fi. Lame.

So, switching providers isn't really an option in my case. I suppose I could just carry my Nexus 5 around and pop in the sim card on the rare occasion I need to tether my laptop but I'm more intent on finding a work around right now. If you figure anything out, please let us know!

edit: called AT&T, they say my account has unlimited data though I've been lead to believe otherwise. They said I'd have to switch to a metered plan to add tethering but that is probably not an option with the corporate plan. Also, I get international data with my plan and I don't want to mess with it. So, I'll suck it up and pay for PDANet+ which appears to do USB tethering just fine. I didn't want to use 3rd party software on my Mac but why screw with the system when you can easily work around it...

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re:

planoman: I use anywhere from 20gb-40gb on a normal month, no way around that, so $10 per gig wont work for me :(

anthony2558: no problem at all with the trolling comment, i completely understand how annoying that is... twits... Maybe ill just have to move my nano sim between phones, and hopefully it will just register or something. Ill try the sim swapping tonight, if that doesn't work ill have to do a factory restore tomorrow or Friday and set up from scratch.

Bummer. Project Fi is sweet at 2GB of data which is $40 on project fi. More than that and cricket or straight talk are better but not for the data levels you are talking. I have att unlimited and just broke 3GB for the first time this last cycle. WiFi most places I guess.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

Last edited:

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

I had no problems setting it up with a AT&T GoPhone SIM.

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Wifi Hotspot is included in my plan and it works fine on my unlocked Developer Edition HTC One M8 and iPhone 6 but also noticed it's blocked on my 6P. Not happy with this. Im on ATT also.
Update: my hotspot is now working. I did nothing. Just checked it again today and our of the blue it worked.

raphymartinez

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I have the same issue but i'm on Cricket. I get the same "contact AT&T" message as the OP. I have both the 5X and 6P. Hotspot works fine on my Nexus 5 & 2015 Moto G (Has worked on OnePlus One and Two plus a bunch of other phones in the past) However, even though I can use any phone that's originally branded AT&T for calls and data, I have not been able to get those to work as hotspots (last I tried was a AT&T LG G3, ok for calls and data but not hotspot) any phone I buy unlocked and unbranded has worked for everything including hotspot, except these two.

camdeoliviera

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Its a no go after a factory reset either. Now my MMS isnt working... This is just all around wrong.

Has anyone had luck changing the access point under Settings > Data usage > Cellular networks > Access Point Names > ATTNextgenphone or the one you have to create from that one website? (I cant post links until i hit 10 posts sorry)

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Cricket is another options if those don't work out service wise and you get the same AT&T network for much less.

Cricket does not allow hotspot/tethering either.

Partly for that reason, I recently switched to Project Fi which I like, however I'm not terribly satisfied with T-Mobile/Sprint's coverage in my area, especially within buildings. ATT/Cricket was better in that regard. I am going to give it another month before I decided whether to stay with Fi or head back to Cricket.

Stephman

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

This seems to be an issue for AT&T users with unlimited data plan. Or maybe specifically a data plan with NO provision for tethering.

camdeoliviera

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Re:

To all the people that have a tethering plan, this is not for you. Not trying to be rude here, its great to know that the hotspot is working for you which it very well should. I'm referring to the people that have had the Nexus 5 (or other android phone), and was able to tether with out issues with an ATT grandfathered unlimited data plan. That has now moved over to the Nexus 6P and is now not able to tether.

Stephman

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

To all the people that have a tethering plan, this is not for you. Not trying to be rude here, its great to know that the hotspot is working for you which it very well should. I'm referring to the people that have had the Nexus 5 (or other android phone), and was able to tether with out issues with an ATT grandfathered unlimited data plan. That has now moved over to the Nexus 6P and is now not able to tether.

OP, maybe update the thread title so we target the grandfathered unlimited data users.

mattsican

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site

This is semi on topic... I've a 10gb data plan on Verizon and a Galaxy S5. The tethering works fine without root, I never added it as part of my plan as far as I know. I just turned it on one day and it worked.

When my 6p arrives, I'm going to sell my galaxy to a friend who has a grandfathered unlimited verizon plan. His current phone he had to root to use hotspot. Is he going to have to root my galaxy s5 I'm selling him to use hotspot you think?

Posted via the Android Central App