Why does my LG G3 keeps restarting unless plugged into a power outlet?

A

AC Question

Hi all,

Over the last three weeks my LG G3 has been restarting over and over again. At first it only occurred when using the phone for long periods of time. However it has now started to occur all the time.

If my phone is plugged into a power outlet it will not restart and it works as normal. Once unplugged it works for a period of time, however when I start using multiply apps it shuts down and restarts repeatedly until I either plug it into a power outlet or take my battery out. Taking the battery out stops the auto restart process however when I try to turn the phone back on, if it is not plugged into a power outlet the restart process starts again and continues.

I have tried factory resetting the phone but that didn't help the situation.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Nathan

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome as a new member. :)

It may be worth trying a new battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

Matt Collins6

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Nathan,

My wife's AT&T G3 is experiencing this exact problem. She says it has gotten progressively worse and now the only way it'll stay on is if it's plugged in. The battery says 100% but will begin to reboot shortly after unplugging it. If you're going to try another battery, please let me know if that is the fix.

Txs

Matt

When I leave the phone unplugged, it does not reboot. It only starts rebooting when it's being used. Overheating? But it's fine when it's being used while it's plugged in.

Last edited by a moderator:

tane lee

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

The auto-shutting down problem actually happens when i have an old battery with LG G3; if I was to use a new battery, then the issue will not occur.

However, I realise my phone battery still leaks like mad even with a new battery. I totally love the phone and does not want to change a new one. However, a fully charged battery (new one) does not even last half a day.

Can anyone suggest what can be done?

Thank you.

Regards,

KiloSteve TV

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
It's the battery, I did a warranty claim on my G3 thinking it was the phone that was broken, but it was actually the battery, so now im waiting for my new battery that i just ordered.

Scratsh

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
It is not the battery. I bought two and I am keeping the original. I keep exchanging.

I did factory reset and when LG ask for software updates I click no. So no firmware updates.

If I accept, the reboot starts.

Not very often, with all batteries it restarts. Usually when it's low. If I update it restarts often.

The battery is discharging faster than before.

It is supposed to be a good phone, but this make it a piece of junk. I have it for 1 year, so no warranty.

Anyone have the solution? There is so many complains of this problem... Someone must have found it...

Thanks.

chellyshell

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Why does my LG G3 keeps restarting unless plugged into a power outlet? When i plugged it in my laptop it won't open. So I can't view my files/pics.

What to do guys? Please help! :'( asap....

worm7771

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here recently progressively getting worse have week left on warranty hopefully I can swap for another model like I I phone...thx for all the info guys

Vytautas kitazh

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I have same issue and think I found a bug with dates:

look at this photo: s12.postimg.org/jeokiy1nh/WTH_LG_G3.jpg

I think need to write for LG maybe they send some update...

Addison Ramsey

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
My g3 also does this. I have been able to get it to stop doing this as much... I ordered a new battery, hasnt gotten here yet. When the phone will restart I plug it into the charger untill I can unlock it, then unplug it... I do this till the battery is at 0 and wont turn on... Them let it charge over night, this makes it much better but the issue is still there... Will let you know if new battery helps.

pinkdolphin101

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
It does not work, The problem of repeated restart is the same
I have order a new Battery, till it arrive I will depend on Mobile Power Bank to be connected to phone all the day

Last edited:

thef0rtress

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
My phone randomly started rebooting itself constantly (when not charging).

Some things I tried:
1. Factory reset the phone, turned off Mobile Data and all updates right away. I also did NOT put in an Account into the phone. Phone was on for 4 hours with only 20% battery drained and absolutely no sign of glitches or upcoming restarts.
2. First, I turned on Mobile Data, also absolutely no problems, phone working fine, battery drainage is normal.
3. Then, I clicked "Add Account" and made sure that "Automatic Sync" was OFF, within 2-3 seconds of clicking "Done" after I entered my email account, the phone started doing reboots non-stop until I would plug it in. The moment I take it begins doing constant restart loops until battery completely dies.

Fun fact: my other phone (Nexus 5) also was discarded the same way. At some point it started randomly doing non-stop restarts. I actually still have it but haven't used it for this reason.

Is there a virus on my email account? I will try using a different account... Any ideas? It might be the battery but just a week ago it was fine! No problems whatsoever! It seems that it is NOT the battery (even though many say it is) because with no email plugged in and mobile data turned on (receiving texts, calls no problem) the phone is 100% fine.

PS The SYNC was OFF!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PPS If nothing else works, I'll try using my phone without adding an Account and see if it works well long-term.

Pedro Navarrete

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same restart problem. It was working great until yestarday. My phone begun restarting over and over again. I removed the battery, and connected the charger yo stop the loop.

Anybody knows a working solution?, my phone is fully rooted with custom recovery. I dont want to install a fresh room because the apps that I'have download. Tough if that's the only solution I'll do it.

ACronje

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Hey peeps. :-* So i have been having the exact same problem. Stuck in an endless reboot cycle if not plugged in :'( . I only have like 13 days left before i am due for an upgrade (Honestly will not go for LG again. Going to go with Samsung S7 edge)

Anyhoo, I read some google articles and followed some advice and i am happy to report a new battery and R250.00 (thats South african rand) later and my phone seems to back to its normal LG'ely self :p . Still waiting to see if any other problems surface but so far so good :) Good luck all.

TheFrthAngel

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey peeps. :-* So i have been having the exact same problem. Stuck in an endless reboot cycle if not plugged in :'( . I only have like 13 days left before i am due for an upgrade (Honestly will not go for LG again. Going to go with Samsung S7 edge)

Anyhoo, I read some google articles and followed some advice and i am happy to report a new battery and R250.00 (thats South african rand) later and my phone seems to back to its normal LG'ely self :p . Still waiting to see if any other problems surface but so far so good :) Good luck all.

Just a heads up. Samsung phones do the same thing when their batteries are getting worn out. I know because before the G3 every smartphone I've ever owned was Samsung.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao