The Pixel is a nice looking phone but I prefer the Priv

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighap

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hardcore BlackBerry user here. Had the Priv and every relevant BlackBerry since 2008. The Pixel XL is my first non BlackBerry since 2008. After BlackBerry dumped BB10, they really had nothing more that they could offer that other android OEMs aren't already doing, other than a physical keyboard.

The Priv keyboard sucked big time compared to other BlackBerry greats, like the Passport or Bold series. I only slid open the Priv to dust off the keyboard. I won't be going back to BlackBerry.

The Pixel destroys the Priv in every way. Performance, camera, battery life, etc.

I do still use Hub and the virtual BlackBerry keyboard. Those are the only two great things BlackBerry still brings to the table, IMO.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
This also might sound harsh, but I feel like we're pretty far off track:

Guys it is disingenuous to forget that the Priv was a Q4 2015 device running 2014 software on a midrange SoC, low storage, bad workmanship/build quality and it was a half baked design concept to begin with. And that's without it's subjectively hideous design. It's BEST feature was a failure (security) and the only redeeming quality has been that Blackberry thankfully takes monthly security updates seriously, despite ignoring major version updates and the benefits that come with them. Trying to compare it to 2016 flagships just flat out doesn't make sense. Comparing it to 2015 flagships didn't make sense either, it was a midrange phone with a flagship price.

Now, it is TOTALLY fine to like what you like and love what you bought. Always going to encourage that. But let's not pretend this is the Phone version of Jesus. It was mediocre at best and it seems silly to me to try to compare it to any of the flagships.

you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about

what low storage ? I have more storage than most expensive pixel because I have...micro SD card

ignoring major updates ? you do realize that it takes blackberry more time to release os update because blackberry needs to add extra security

hideous design ? well I guess this is subjective opinion but at least blackberry is not bluntly copy iPhone design and call it it's own

2016 design we have seen for many years already. sure pixel hardware is way better but then the price is way higher.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Hardcore BlackBerry user here. Had the Priv and every relevant BlackBerry since 2008. The Pixel XL is my first non BlackBerry since 2008. After BlackBerry dumped BB10, they really had nothing more that they could offer that other android OEMs aren't already doing, other than a physical keyboard.

The Priv keyboard sucked big time compared to other BlackBerry greats, like the Passport or Bold series. I only slid open the Priv to dust off the keyboard. I won't be going back to BlackBerry.

The Pixel destroys the Priv in every way. Performance, camera, battery life, etc.

I do still use Hub and the virtual BlackBerry keyboard. Those are the only two great things BlackBerry still brings to the table, IMO.
slider was never best selling blackberry phone. I guess
bfb8695024f16c0abb46637bfd294fb2.jpg

will sell better.

I am just curious when you say speed how what exactly runs faster. I know pixel has newer processor but how this translate to Real life exactly?

battery life ? I get full day on priv now.

I do not when you had priv but since priv was released blackberry came out with many updates improving speed, battery etc. etc.

eb3ee1745e4b877f38e18d0e767b8446.jpg

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about

what low storage ? I have more storage than most expensive pixel because I have...micro SD card

ignoring major updates ? you do realize that it takes blackberry more time to release os update because blackberry needs to add extra security

hideous design ? well I guess this is subjective opinion but at least blackberry is not bluntly copy iPhone design and call it it's own

2016 design we have seen for many years already. sure pixel hardware is way better but then the price is way higher.

You use SD card? That lacks security features that internal storage of Pixel has.

Your device is less secure than mine. That's one of the "defining features" of BB right?

/discussion

Launch price of the Priv was $650, same as the Pixel. "But it's cheaper now" - can't even get it from my carrier, which is also offering bill credits for Pixel users, effectively cutting that $650 in half to $325.

"How does the faster processor translate to real world use" - faster UI, faster to open apps, faster camera, near instant HDR+ capture, zero shutter lag, better battery life (it's more efficient than the SD808 in the Priv).

To be honest I'm surprised so many of us are even justifying the comparison by continuing to have the conversation.

You can like what you want, but let's not pretend that the Priv comes close to the Pixel in any way.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The priv comes with a maximum of 32 GB storage. The Pixel has an option for 128 GB. SD card is worse than not having any storage if we're basing ANY of our priorities on security, performance or stability.

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
And all of those complaints come back around to why I say the Priv would be a good phone if we got a Priv 2 that was basically a Pixel in a Priv's body (maybe with a slightly better physical keyboard).

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I went to best buy store today. looks like the stores are getting major makeup and now google has huge section with pixel phones.
anyways I want to say that pixel screen is not much better than on a year old priv, android 7.0 looks like rip off bb10 and pixel itself is very nice looking phone but it is total rip off of iPhone. I envy camera on pixel because blackberry priv camera is just ok. I love priv keyboard though long live physical keyboard !

Definitely a first. I've only heard complaints about priv.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Definitely a first. I've only heard complaints about priv.
I am not sure what complaints could you hear about priv. aside from the camera which I think is perhaps above average but far from being best it is actually very solid phone with day long battery and solid performance.

sure priv was far from being perfect when it was originally released. it was heating up too quickly, performance was not always consistent but all of that has been fixed with blackberry updates.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
You use SD card? That lacks security features that internal storage of Pixel has.

Your device is less secure than mine. That's one of the "defining features" of BB right?

/discussion

Launch price of the Priv was $650, same as the Pixel. "But it's cheaper now" - can't even get it from my carrier, which is also offering bill credits for Pixel users, effectively cutting that $650 in half to $325.

"How does the faster processor translate to real world use" - faster UI, faster to open apps, faster camera, near instant HDR+ capture, zero shutter lag, better battery life (it's more efficient than the SD808 in the Priv).

To be honest I'm surprised so many of us are even justifying the comparison by continuing to have the conversation.

You can like what you want, but let's not pretend that the Priv comes close to the Pixel in any way.
not really because SD card can be encrypted. secondly 128GB phone is way more expensive than priv ever been.

google is acting like apple. only reason why SD card is not there is to milk people as much as google can out of money not because SD card cannot be secured.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
not really because SD card can be encrypted. secondly 128GB phone is way more expensive than priv ever been.

google is acting like apple. only reason why SD card is not there is to milk people as much as google can out of money not because SD card cannot be secured.

I can physically remove your encrypted SD card and spend as much time as needed breaking that encryption. (Not me personally, but generally speaking). It also lacks any sort of hardware level encryption or secure elements like device storage has in concert with the SOC. It's also WAY slower than internal storage.

"Way more expensive" - It's $100 more for the 128GB version. If you're going to try to come close to matching the speed of internal storage (not possible with an encrypted adopted SD card) you're gonna need to spend about $40. So that price difference shrinks to $60. That's less than 10% of the initial asking price of $650.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I can physically remove your encrypted SD card and spend as much time as needed breaking that encryption. (Not me personally, but generally speaking). It also lacks any sort of hardware level encryption or secure elements like device storage has in concert with the SOC. It's also WAY slower than internal storage.

"Way more expensive" - It's $100 more for the 128GB version. If you're going to try to come close to matching the speed of internal storage (not possible with an encrypted adopted SD card) you're gonna need to spend about $40. So that price difference shrinks to $60. That's less than 10% of the initial asking price of $650.
good luck decrypting anything blackberry. Foreign governments cannot do it but I am sure you will come up with solution

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
good luck decrypting anything blackberry. Foreign governments cannot do it but I am sure you will come up with solution

A. You have no reason to believe they can't. You clearly do believe it, but not based on any facts or logical points
B. This isn't BlackBerry, this is BlackBerry's implementation of Android
C. BlackBerry's implementation of Android is inherently less secure than stock Android
D. SD cards are FAR less secure than internal storage and the Priv's SD cards, based on Lollipop policy, are FAR less secure than SD cards on devices that shipped with N, like the LG V20.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
not from people who actually own priv.

And we've crossed into the "if you don't own it you can't know anything" fallacy. In my opinion, this discussion is getting close to being you shouting your opinion, others trying to help you understand why they don't share it, you ignore them and shout your opinion again. You can like what you like, think what you want - but it's going to be a losing battle to try to win over converts to your side when 100% of the facts are against you.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
A. You have no reason to believe they can't. You clearly do believe it, but not based on any facts or logical points
B. This isn't BlackBerry, this is BlackBerry's implementation of Android
C. BlackBerry's implementation of Android is inherently less secure than stock Android
D. SD cards are FAR less secure than internal storage and the Priv's SD cards, based on Lollipop policy, are FAR less secure than SD cards on devices that shipped with N, like the LG V20.
I am sure you know better and yet top us officials use blackberry phones for work...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
only reason why SD card is not there is to milk people as much as google can out of money not because SD card cannot be secured.

I've seen this time and time again.... Google leaves out SD cards in their own devices because they don't want to go through the trouble of adding in a feature that they feel is inferior. Prior to Android 4.4, SD implementation was REALLY flawed... it was 100% open and free of any hint of security. It was just one big bucket of stuff every process could look at. Now, if Google had some deep seeded goal to make us spend more money on higher storage phones, they would have just thrown their hands up there and said "Nope... no more SD support in Android!"

Did they do that? Nope, far from it. They spend a ton of time, money and effort making SD cards more secure. They see they importance of the feature and continue to develop support for it in Android, they just don't want it anywhere near their own devices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am sure you know better and yet top us officials use blackberry phones for work...

And as stated many in the government also use iPhones and such for things as well. You know top officials aren't the only one with access to sensitive information right? ;).

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
And we've crossed into the "if you don't own it you can't know anything" fallacy. In my opinion, this discussion is getting close to being you shouting your opinion, others trying to help you understand why they don't share it, you ignore them and shout your opinion again. You can like what you like, think what you want - but it's going to be a losing battle to try to win over converts to your side when 100% of the facts are against you.
how can you know anything about it if you never own it or at least had some experience with ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenw0419