Just got a new HTC 10; haven't rooted in 2 1/2 years, so...

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
My HTC One M8 basically got so slow and crappy that I decided to finally get a new phone, so I opted for the HTC 10, being an HTC fan. I wavered between just leaving it stock or rooting it, the former because I've just been so damn busy and tired that I wondered if rooting was even necessary anymore. Suffice it to say that I decided to root it but most likely leave it on its stock ROM.

My main question, and forgive me if this sounds stupid (I ask because I admittedly haven't done this since June 2015), is--before I activate the HTC 10, which is just sitting in its box, I was wondering how would I be able to get my apps, at least most of them, from my HTC One M8 to the 10? Must I log in to my Google Play account and manually install them one by one? If so, doesn't that require the new phone to be activated? Also, I have a 32GB microSD card in the M8 and want to simply use it in the 10. Granted, a few things might not work in the 10, but I want to be able to use a lot of files, photos, and videos stored on the card. Moreover, some apps ran off the card and not the M8's internal storage.

I guess I'm essentially looking to have the HTC 10 all loaded up and as close to the current One M8 before I finally activate the 10.

Thoughts? Comments?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I think your Google play store account pretty much maintains a list of all apps you've downloaded.

So you can just go through them and install them, or there's an option to have the play store app just auto download them all for you.

When you say 'activated' keep in mind that this has nothing to do with the carrier. You can download those apps to your phone without even having a sim card.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I think your Google play store account pretty much maintains a list of all apps you've downloaded.

So you can just go through them and install them, or there's an option to have the play store app just auto download them all for you.

When you say 'activated' keep in mind that this has nothing to do with the carrier. You can download those apps to your phone without even having a sim card.

So I can do all this before I call Verizon to activate this phone by switching my cell number from my One M8 to the 10? I ask because I couldn't remember what I was able to do before a new phone was activated.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
BTW, I'm thinking of rooting and installing a couple basic apps, like Titanium Backup, which I love, among a couple more. However, I was also thinking of leaving the stock ROM intact. Will this cause problems when Google sends its auto updates, particularly when a new OS version is launched?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I'm thinking of rooting and installing a couple basic apps, like Titanium Backup, which I love, among a couple more. However, I was also thinking of leaving the stock ROM intact. Will this cause problems when Google sends its auto updates, particularly when a new OS version is launched?
I haven't rooted in a few years but used to be updates wouldn't come thru to rooted devices and as far as I know that hasn't changed. Have to unroot to get them. As for security updates I just got one the other day and it came thru Verizon , not Google.
Question: The 10 is so cleanly bloat free why root at all? Sticking to stock ROM and all. To get Titanium backup? Also, you'd need a nano sim is all to activate . Can't remember what size the M8 uses. So a call to verizon wouldn't help except to order a sim if need be. The last phone I rooted was a droid razr maxx and I never could get it to unroot for some reason so was stuck on gingerbread for the duration.

EDIT: Checked and M8 is a nano sim, so easy switch out. Don't see why you'd need to call Verizon unless your account has some other issues associated with it.
As for the security updates , they ultimately come from Google but Verizon seems to sit on them and push them out or so that's been my experience. Good luck with your HTC 10, it's an awesomely understated device.

Last edited:

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hmm you're better off asking over at XDA, those folks are a lot more knowledgeable than us regarding these things.

Sorry 🙁

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I haven't rooted in a few years but used to be updates wouldn't come thru to rooted devices and as far as I know that hasn't changed. Have to unroot to get them. As for security updates I just got one the other day and it came thru Verizon , not Google.
Question: The 10 is so cleanly bloat free why root at all? Sticking to stock ROM and all. To get Titanium backup? Also, you'd need a nano sim is all to activate . Can't remember what size the M8 uses. So a call to verizon wouldn't help except to order a sim if need be. The last phone I rooted was a droid razr maxx and I never could get it to unroot for some reason so was stuck on gingerbread for the duration.
Well when I bought my 10 I wanted to root just to change the status bar icons to stock Android (really hate the way they look, especially the inconsistent Wi-Fi calling icons).

However, I still haven't gotten around to it and probably won't. Everything just works so well, only issue I have is I managed to get two micro scratches on the glass around the earpiece, no idea how that happened but thankfully I'm not as OCD as I used to be lol.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
One of my favorite things about rooting and having Titanium Backup is that when certain apps I have are updated, if I don't like the update, I can use Titanium to roll back to the most recent version. (I have Titanium scheduled to automatically back up all my apps and data once a week in the wee hours of a Sunday morning while I'm asleep.) I've done that several times when an app update results in some key features being eliminated. I also like Titanium's ability to freeze/unfreeze specific apps.

In addition to Titanium, I also like TWRP and its ability to do a general nandroid backup and clean the cache & Dalvik cache from time to time.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
There are certain advantages and perks to rooting for sure. It's to bad we don't have that control out of the box, but these devices have indeed come a long way. HTC really has it knocked out of the park with the 10. I hope to see more of the bloat free phones released down the road. I think it's a trend that will continue to grow. Also more phones are able to be used across providers. previously that being unheard of. More options are always a good thing.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Now that I think of it, Guys, I do remember the HTC transfer app, because I specifically remember trying to use it when I went from my HTC EVO to my HTC One M8 the last time I upgraded, which was June 2014. No matter what I did, I was unable to get the app to work, which really sucked.

I can try again with the new phone, of course. It wouldn't hurt. One quick question, though—do I need wireless Internet access at home to use it? I ask because my Internet service is completely down until at least tomorrow as a result of the subdivision home builder's stupid construction guys tractoring this morning and cutting the fiber optic connection on my side of the block. (I'm on AT&T's Gigapower service, which is otherwise awesome.) AT&T won't be out here until tomorrow morning to take a look at it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've never used that transfer tool but just did a quick youtube search and found a lot of info there, none of which I investigated further, but you might take a look. Don't know about the wifi issue

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Been running my new HTC 10 since Saturday. It's quite nice. I guess the only real complaint I have is that the sound is not as strong as I thought, especially when it's in a case. In fact, when it's in a case, the sound is actually rather muffled.

As far as rooting goes, I may choose to do that for one MAJOR reason—these damn ads! OMG! They're so annoying I almost threw my phone against the wall Sunday. I recall that my rooted HTC One M8 and HTC EVO (when I was with Sprint) didn't have these ads. I can't read legitimate news sources, use a few other apps, and do certain things without ads flying all over the place. Ugh!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Been running my new HTC 10 since Saturday. It's quite nice. I guess the only real complaint I have is that the sound is not as strong as I thought, especially when it's in a case. In fact, when it's in a case, the sound is actually rather muffled.

As far as rooting goes, I may choose to do that for one MAJOR reason—these damn ads! OMG! They're so annoying I almost threw my phone against the wall Sunday. I recall that my rooted HTC One M8 and HTC EVO (when I was with Sprint) didn't have these ads. I can't read legitimate news sources, use a few other apps, and do certain things without ads flying all over the place. Ugh!
Could your case be blocking anything? Obvious thought. My case is a very light weight minimalistic and thin shell. Doesn't affect the sound at all.
Have you tried an adblocker for the ad issue? I don't see enough adds to bother me but some people have said certain add blocker apps really work well.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The case appears to be properly fitted and the phone seated in its case fine. The case itself comes highly recommended based on the reviews I researched (especially since Otterbox decided not to make one for the HTC 10).

As far as ad blocking apps, if anyone has any specific suggestions, I'm all ears.

Fathertime

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
You're correct. The sound is not strong at all. I think HTC manipulated the audio codecs because of people whining about blown speakers in the M7 and M8. The M9 was definitely louder. But then again HTC abandoned the dual speaker setup with the 10 that set them apart audio wise.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have mine rooted and I couldn't be happier. It's so freaking awesome, the leedroid ROM is amazing and has different power profiles you can set up when you flash it.

However if you want to play Pokemon Go and use android pay. There is a process to getting those working. Google is now using safety net(I believe that's what it's called). It detects root status and breaks certain apps. There are some work arounds available if those are must need apps. I could careless.

As far as updating the best way to do the updates is to go s-off. What that allows you to do is directly flash the new firmware to your device via fastboot with out returning to stock.

If you are familiar with rooting then I'm guessing you are familiar with XDA. All of the information is all over the HTC thread.

As far as the sound might be the case I don't have that issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer