EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry guys but I feel extremely compelled to rant as I am very upset with HTC and the cameras they put into the EVO 3D. I went to the mall today to spend some more time with the Sensation to put to bed my fear that its screen might be a little clearer and more colorful than the 3D. As soon as I turned the sensation on, I was horrified to find that it was a lot brighter than my 3d. After realizing that the Sensation was set to almost max brightness I proceeded to adjust the 3D to a similar level. Alas, they both appeared identical. Even with a different wallpaper it was obvious that there was really no discernable difference between the screens in terms of brightness and clarity. I went on to test the colors by observing identical apps on both screens and thought the Sensation's colors did have a little more pop, but it is practically impossible to differentiate between the two without having them next to each other and making a very concentrated effort to find a difference. That being said, I was very satisfied and concluded that both screens are in fact equivalent.

I proceeded to check the cameras in relation to stills and videos. Boy what a difference, like night and day. The Sensation's stills were colorful and sharp - very impressive. The 3D's camera seemed very dull, lacking color, and were not sharp -almost seem to be out of focus. Although I knew that the 3D camera was garbage, I thought that the video capture was OK. Boy was I wrong. The T-mobile rep, a friend of mine since I have spent so many hours with his model, pulled out his Galaxy S and took a short video of the activity in the mall. The video was very impressive, sharp, vibrant, looked like a professional camera. The Sensation also matched the GS with sharp, colorful, fluid video. My turn.. The 3d's video looked washed out and lacked any color and clarity. Wow...my heart almost hit the floor.

After all that I was shocked even more a few minutes later when I used the mirror app on both phones to check the front camera. Isn't the front cam on the 3D supposed to be 1.3 mp while the Sensation's version is only VGA? Something is wrong or someone is not telling the truth. My picture on the Sensation appeared sharp and colorful -representing my true color while the same pic appeared grainy and washed out on the 3D. What the hell? I ran a number of tests, same result. I did notice that the image on my 3D was much bigger than the one on the Sensation which tells me they are not the same camera. The Sensation was just much clearer.

In the end, I think I am experiencing buyer's remorse, something that never ever, ever crossed my mind before. The simple truth is that the 3d's optics got exposed today and lets me know that a major part of the phones upgrade was severely compromised to include the 3D feature. I love the 3D but not to this extent of sacrifice. I already sold my beloved 4G but am seriously thinking about keeping the phone for another 2 weeks to see if software could improve these shortcomings. If not I am afraid I will have to give up the QHD display I covet so much and wait for the Samsung Within. Not at all interested in the Photon and its pentile fake QHD display. Although I like the colors of the Samsung display, I am turned off by the fact that they are still using last generation resolution. At this point I am reserved to pursue the lesser of the evils.

All I want to know is did HTC really F-up this bad with the 3D optics or can this be fixed with software? I don't want to hear about settings because I never had to change anything on my 4G whose camera runs circles around the 3D in good light and the Sensation had stock setting as well and performed impressively. My wife's 5mp EVO shift's cam take much, much better pics than my next generation 3D. I have taken well over 60 pics and don't have one single one that I can keep. This is unacceptable, amazing 3D ability or not...

iEd

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
When I first considered the EVO3D the camera was the last thing on my mind. I had heard so many great things about the EVO 4G model except the battery life. So I waited for the update model. I would have preferred a 8 or 10 MP single cam but the 3D is fun.

The cam does have some issue but I have been in the new smart phone game since the IPhone 1st gen and that was a dog as far as making phone calls you couldn't even copy and paste with the original iOS but eventually they got it right.

Maybe HTC will get it right with the cam but I think they may drop 3D in the next model EVO like I said it's fun. Some of the 3D content I have viewed really jumps off the screen but you really don't need it.

The price we pay for getting the first one of anything is that it's kinda of a test model I knew that going in with THE EVO3D just like I knew that going in with the Iphone-1 As far as the other features of the EVO3D they are great, more than great.

As I have mentioned before on this forum. Look at the Iphone 4 you cant hold it this way fiasco. I'd much rather have a so so cam than I cant hold the phone a certain way.

For me taking pictures is the last thing I will ever do on this phone. I have a Nikon for when I really want to take pictures.

Email, texts, phone calls ,internet is what I use it for. For these things it's one of the best out there.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I am no expert whatsoever but I hear people claim that it's all in the software, so hopefully they can do something to help our cameras out a bit. I have never been phased by the camera too much, but I did feel ****ty when I compared my cam to a nexus s 4g for some indoor situations with no natural light.

Viscott

May 23, 2010
www.viscott.com
I agree with the OP. The camera just sucks big time on the EVO 3D. I like to use the camera on the phone to send a tweet of the food I am about to eat or maybe a nice Cali sunset. The close up shots are blurry and very grainy (Noise) compared to the clear crisp pictures I used to be able to take on my EVO 4G. Maybe the optics are fine and they can fix it with software, but I doubt it. The sensors in the new camera have to be less quality then the 4G with the amount of noise and flat colors. I find that I have to over expose the shots 1 stop. What you see on screen is always brighter than what is captured. The photos are under exposed, washed and very, very noisy.

I am a pro photographer and shoot with a Nikon D3s. So I know a thing or two about camera noise. Now I know it's a camera in a phone, I am just saying it's a major step down from the EVO 4G.

Still love the phone but the 3D I can do without if there was a compromise in the camera.

HTC: Maybe you should have asked your customers a simple question; Do you want 3D if it will sacrifice 2D camera picture quality? Yes - No?

You can't really share your 3D pictures so what is the point, the 3D wow, neato factor has worn off.

I think Sense 3.0 on the EVO 4G would make me happy.

--Jon

Reactions: linzgeneral

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I dont think the problem is the camera on the 3D, i think the problem is you guys. NOT trying to be an ass either. Im just saying, the camera on the Evo 3D is a BILLION times better than the 4G. Like its not even close, it flat out embarrasses the 4G in every fathomable way... Compared to other cameras, it certainly holds its own, especially in low light. Hell i rarely even use the flash anymore. I think people expectations are just a bit too high. MP's don't mean squat. Its all about the sensor. Is it perfect? Of course not. But the camera quality is still pretty damn good. Here's a couple of pictures I've taken so far. A couple of Macro shots (which the 4G could NEVER do), and a couple of other pictures including a low light picture and one with lots of color...

Two low light pictures, no flash used. Notice there's ZERO "noise" ...

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

3 macro shots.. Evo 4G could NEVER do this..

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

And just a couple of regular pictures..

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

Color looks fine to me..
IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

Are these professional grade pictures? Of course not. But what phone can take professional grade pictures? For what people typically take pictures for, social network and small prints, its more than suffice.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont think the problem is the camera on the 3D, i think the problem is you guys. NOT trying to be an ass either. Im just saying, the camera on the Evo 3D is a BILLION times better than the 4G. Like its not even close, it flat out embarrasses the 4G in every fathomable way... Compared to other cameras, it certainly holds its own, especially in low light. Hell i rarely even use the flash anymore. I think people expectations are just a bit too high. MP's don't mean squat. Its all about the sensor. Is it perfect? Of course not. But the camera quality is still pretty damn good. Here's a couple of pictures I've taken so far. A couple of Macro shots (which the 4G could NEVER do), and a couple of other pictures including a low light picture and one with lots of color...

Two low light pictures, no flash used. Notice there's ZERO "noise" ...

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

3 macro shots.. Evo 4G could NEVER do this..

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

And just a couple of regular pictures..

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

Color looks fine to me..
IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

Are these professional grade pictures? Of course not. But what phone can take professional grade pictures? For what people typically take pictures for, social network and small prints, its more than suffice.
Thanks for sharing your pics, they look far better than what I've been able to capture. what are your settings? BTW, my 4G took better pics than these (in adequate light)

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your pics, they look far better than what I've been able to capture. what are your settings? BTW, my 4G took better pics than these (in adequate light)

The settings are stock. I never touched them. The key for me is to always half press the camera button to let it focus before taking the picture. Before that i would just go all willy nilly and just snap the picture and they always looked like crap lol. My 4G took slightly slightly better pictures in absolute perfect lighting. But besides that the 3D blows it away especially in low light. I took well over 4000 pictures with my 4G in the course of the year I had it. I loved it. But the low light quality was absolutely horrendous. I dont mind sacrificing just a tad tad bit of quality in perfect lighting to gain an incredible amount of quality in mid to low light. The other thing to remember too is video quality. That is where the 3D REALLY shines above the 4G. Especially with the audio capture in the video. Here's a video I took comparing the two..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOLAx0U84c

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The settings are stock. I never touched them. The key for me is to always half press the camera button to let it focus before taking the picture. Before that i would just go all willy nilly and just snap the picture and they always looked like crap lol. My 4G took slightly slightly better pictures in absolute perfect lighting. But besides that the 3D blows it away especially in low light. I took well over 4000 pictures with my 4G in the course of the year I had it. I loved it. But the low light quality was absolutely horrendous. I dont mind sacrificing just a tad tad bit of quality in perfect lighting to gain an incredible amount of quality in mid to low light. The other thing to remember too is video quality. That is where the 3D REALLY shines above the 4G. Especially with the audio capture in the video. Here's a video I took comparing the two..

YouTube - ‪Evo 3D vs Evo 4G video and picture shootout‬‏

Thanks, good video, made me feel a bit better. Now if I could only get my 3D cam to perform like yours ...lol...

rockky

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Evo 3D camera is p o o r!
Bottomline:
HTC is deadlast in smartphone manufacturers (camera quality). (SonyE, Nokia, Apple, Samsung)..
Don't ignore that fact.

iEd

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Those are some great pics from Jerzyiroc. I did notice in the ED3 video that when panned up to the sky there was green tinting on the sky. I didn't see that with the 4G video.

I'm noticing on my E3D cam that the more natural light of close to natural I have the I don't get the green tint. When I take a pic in very low light with the flash like under my desk I get the green tint.
In a nice sun lit room the pics are great very colorful no noise.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

PIP 3D

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Evo 3D camera is p o o r!
Bottomline:
HTC is deadlast in smartphone manufacturers (camera quality). (SonyE, Nokia, Apple, Samsung)..
Don't ignore that fact.

Well please show some comparison shots if indeed it is "fact". The shots he showed are clear.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have similar feelings about the optics on the 3D. Although I have already decided (after being an owner for about 10 hours now) that the 3D is not a mature technology, and is not really represented on this phone very well.

My complaints about the optics are two things.
1. The camera(s) should have been at least 8mp. No going back to 5, HTC.
2. I have a purchased version of Pro HDR (great app) - and the high and low brightness controls on the 3D are far inferior to the 4G I would get beautiful (albiet non-professional) HDR images from the 4G, but the 3G hardly has any difference between the high and low capture.

Beyond all that, I love the phone. Sense 3.0 is great, even coming from Cyanogen on the 4G, and it's got great responsiveness with swype, calls, texts, and all that kind of stuff.

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
personally i dont think the 3d cameras suck, i just think theyre not what they could be....my nexus s 4g takes sharper, cleaner pictures...there is more pop. The 3d is definitely 100x better than the OG Evo but i still dont understand why it looks so washed out and poopy :-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch