EVO 3D optics really that subpar?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Evo 3D camera is p o o r!
Bottomline:
HTC is deadlast in smartphone manufacturers (camera quality). (SonyE, Nokia, Apple, Samsung)..
Don't ignore that fact.

Poor? Fact? No sorry. The only fact here is that you have no clue about what you're talking about.. moving on...

I have similar feelings about the optics on the 3D. Although I have already decided (after being an owner for about 10 hours now) that the 3D is not a mature technology, and is not really represented on this phone very well.

My complaints about the optics are two things.
1. The camera(s) should have been at least 8mp. No going back to 5, HTC.
2. I have a purchased version of Pro HDR (great app) - and the high and low brightness controls on the 3D are far inferior to the 4G I would get beautiful (albiet non-professional) HDR images from the 4G, but the 3G hardly has any difference between the high and low capture.

Beyond all that, I love the phone. Sense 3.0 is great, even coming from Cyanogen on the 4G, and it's got great responsiveness with swype, calls, texts, and all that kind of stuff.

As far as the 3D content, while not perfect, if taken right can be pretty damn good. The picture quality can be really good if you know how to take them right, especially if you adjust the alignment as well. As far as 3D video, it's been really good. I've taken some pretty cool stuff so far. With 3D content like Youtube videos and what not, that really depends on how it was taken originally. Watch this video and tell me it doesn't look pretty damn cool and work well.

1. MP's don't mean squat. People really need to stop it with this MP stuff. You can have a 16MP camera but if the sensors are garbage then whats the point? Sensor quality > MP's. FACT
2) Example the Evo 4G. The Evo 4G would take nice pictures if it was in PERFECT lighting conditions. But as I proved in my video the overall camera quality absolutely BLOWS the 4G away in everything outside of PERFECT conditions. And while the colors on the 4G might look a little better, the Evo 3D pictures are usually much sharper which I would rather have. The 4G was nothing short of HORRID in low light. Hell even medium light. I took almost 5000 pictures with my 4G, trust me I know what the 4G's camera is/was capable of. I'm not sure what you mean about "hardly has any difference between high and low capture". Are you talking about the brightness level of the pictures? If thats the case then I'm very confused..

Here's some pictures I just took...

First pic.. Exposure all the way down
IMAG0456.jpg

Exposure all the way up
IMAG0457.jpg

Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way down to 100
IMAG0458.jpg

Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way up to 800
IMAG0459.jpg

So if you're talking about the difference in brightness I'm not sure whats going on with your phone.. If you're talking about something else please elaborate. Because the camera quality in the EVO 3D absolutely blows the Evo 4G away, especially in mid-low light.

Last edited:
Reactions: linzgeneral

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but if you think those pics are good, then your easily impressed. Looks like your phone has Glaucoma. The phone is great, the camera, not so much

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Poor? Fact? No sorry. The only fact here is that you have no clue about what you're talking about.. moving on...

As far as the 3D content, while not perfect, if taken right can be pretty damn good. The picture quality can be really good if you know how to take them right, especially if you adjust the alignment as well. As far as 3D video, it's been really good. I've taken some pretty cool stuff so far. With 3D content like Youtube videos and what not, that really depends on how it was taken originally. Watch this video and tell me it doesn't look pretty damn cool and work well.

1. MP's don't mean squat. People really need to stop it with this MP stuff. You can have a 16MP camera but if the sensors are garbage then whats the point? Sensor quality > MP's. FACT
2) Example the Evo 4G. The Evo 4G would take nice pictures if it was in PERFECT lighting conditions. But as I proved in my video the overall camera quality absolutely BLOWS the 4G away in everything outside of PERFECT conditions. And while the colors on the 4G might look a little better, the Evo 3D pictures are usually much sharper which I would rather have. The 4G was nothing short of HORRID in low light. Hell even medium light. I took almost 5000 pictures with my 4G, trust me I know what the 4G's camera is/was capable of. I'm not sure what you mean about "hardly has any difference between high and low capture". Are you talking about the brightness level of the pictures? If thats the case then I'm very confused..

Here's some pictures I just took...

First pic.. Exposure all the way down
IMAG0456.jpg

Exposure all the way up
IMAG0457.jpg

Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way down to 100
IMAG0458.jpg

Exposure set to the middle with ISO all the way up to 800
IMAG0459.jpg

So if you're talking about the difference in brightness I'm not sure whats going on with your phone.. If you're talking about something else please elaborate. Because the camera quality in the EVO 3D absolutely blows the Evo 4G away, especially in mid-low light.

Thanks for the pics but where are the good, sharp ones?

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
personally i dont think the 3d cameras suck, i just think theyre not what they could be....my nexus s 4g takes sharper, cleaner pictures...there is more pop. The 3d is definitely 100x better than the OG Evo but i still dont understand why it looks so washed out and poopy :-\

highlighted quote = "sucks".

bdGDL08

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not disappointed in this camera.

This was taken with my 3VO:
18faf16a-456e-4b1d.jpg

This was taken with a point and shoot:
18faf16a-459b-c391.jpg

The phone performs relatively well. I don't have a need for a point and shoot because of it.

~Drew

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The evo camera was weak and so is evo3d... Barring 3d which are best in light... I still love both phones but come on...

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Lot of people hating on the 3D around here. Always quick to say how much it sucks. Must be jealous.

Don't think anyone's complaining about the phone in this post. I'm think a lot of people feel the same way I do. The rest of the phone is cutting edge, which probably highlights that the camera doesn't perform very well. The camera on this phone is the fat chick in the group and she's surrounded by nothing but hotties, LOL.

The pictures of the family of 5 above aren't very good either, unless they were taken in fog

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Who said that those pictures were supposed to be "good"? Those pictures were taken specifically to show the range of exposure/brightness levels of the images because someone had said the 3D "hardly has any difference between high and low capture". It's obvious about 99% of you "haters" are absolutely clueless about photography. Does it have the best camera phone available? No. But is it horrible? Absolutely not, it's actually very good and certainly blows the 4G's away. Anyone that things the Evo 4G is anywhere near the Evo 3D in any category seriously needs a head exam.

Last edited:

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
If they're not "good" like you say, then they're at best average, right? And if this phone that's so awesome in every other aspect (which it is) takes "average" pics, wouldn't one conclude that it's subpar in this respect? Especially when someone such as yourself, with ALL the photography talent that you harness within yourself, is taking average pics to display here......

Haters, ah no, just wanting decent pictures like my 4G took

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If they're not "good" like you say, then they're at best average, right? And if this phone that's so awesome in every other aspect (which it is) takes "average" pics, wouldn't one conclude that it's subpar in this respect? Especially when someone such as yourself, with ALL the photography talent that you harness within yourself, is taking average pics to display here......

Haters, ah no, just wanting decent pictures like my 4G took

Lets try this again.... Those pictures weren't meant to be "good". They were simply to show that the camera can take pictures varying in brightness..I have not posted one single picture to demonstrate a "good" picture. If you think the Evo 4G takes better pictures than the 3D then you my friend are on some amazing top quality south american drugs. In absolute "perfect" conditions, yes, the Evo 4G takes SLIGHTLY better pictures, mainly with color. But the 3D takes sharper images and in mid-low light the Evo 3D absolutely embarrasses the 4G. Its seriously not even close.

So recap for those that have a hard time comprehending simple concepts:

None of the pictures I posted are supposed to be "good pictures". They were samples to prove another point
Evo 4G takes slightly better pictures in terms of color in 100% absolute perfect conditions
Evo 3D absolutely embarrasses the Evo 4G in mid and especially in low light pictures

And one more thing, keep the ignorant sarcastic remarks to yourself. If you wanna throw down with slick comments, directing them towards someone else. Either that or just shut up. K? Thanks...

ricankng787

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Jerzy on this one, my EVO 3D takes some pretty good shots. I mean if you *****ing about your phones camera go grab a DSLR and stop complaining. I mean for a point and shoot, I think it works great.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The dude who said that family picture looks like it was taken in fog I think you have an eye issue, lol. It thinks your eyes are very bad.

EVO-LUTION 3D

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Lot of people hating on the 3D around here. Always quick to say how much it sucks. Must be jealous.

I love my phone. The camera is the only thing for me that sucks. Although, like most people I have at least 20 different bugs, I am 100% positive those will be fixed with software updates soon enough. I am however, fairly skeptical that the quality of our subpar cameras can ever be improved.

BTW, I currently have off-centered screen, super slow 3g speeds, green tint, disappearing icons, disappearing apps - had to reinstall about five of them at least twice, intermittent data connection, inaccurate lockscreen - have to enter code multiple times, lines running through icons, gps -hit or miss, and several others. Not at all worried because I am confident that the powers that be are well aware and will likely fix soon to avoid a rash of returns. I actually like the phone a lot and only expect it to improve. I just want a camera like the one that took the nice pictures of the flowers...LOL....

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Evo 4G takes slightly better pictures in terms of color in 100% absolute perfect conditions

So the 4G does take better pictures? Heard you had to be on drugs to think so....
You talk about how great this thing takes pics, but the only pictures you've displayed have been SUBPAR. I don't care what you were trying to display, low light levels, fast motion, vibrant colors, etc doesn't matter. This phone for the most part, and your posts support this, takes subpar pictures

jes24cap

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
oQgUvJW

A few adjustments with the settings and great pics. I have tons that look this good.

Sent from my Overclocked Evo 3D using tapatalk. :-D

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Since when is this a 3D VS 4G camera thread? Its not. Make another thread if you wish to do that.

I suggest re-reading the OP, and staying on track here guys. Thanks :)