Is anyone having issues with their text messaging app after the update?

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's something that's helped me,

Goto your Contact List. Up at the top it will have Link Suggestions and Facebook Suggestions. Clear that out by either linking or dismissing. My text app worked just fine after doing this. I've got 600+ LinkedIn connections, 500+ Facebook friends and 23k ppl following me on Twitter (@tonylibations - shameless plug) and they're all trying to link together. I have to do this every few days.
Good luck, friends!

Sent from my EVO L(a)TE using Android Central Forums.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Goto your Contact List. Up at the top it will have Link Suggestions and Facebook Suggestions. Clear that out by either linking or dismissing. My text app worked just fine after doing this. I've got 600+ LinkedIn connections, 500+ Facebook friends and 23k ppl following me on Twitter (@tonylibations - shameless plug) and they're all trying to link together. I have to do this every few days.
Good luck, friends!

You, sir, are a genius. Works flawlessly and has returned my phone to it's former smoothness so far.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Good luck, friends!

I have no linked contacts to anything, I have 116 contacts and they are all google contacts (none on phone). Ever since the update 9 times out of 10 my text messaging app is epically slow. Of course that 10th time is always when I'm trying to make a point of how slow it is to someone. Besides waiting on an update any ideas?

Also it just seems that with the update we traded sense reloads for anything contact related being really slow. Either way we're just waiting for things to load, hopefully they can do better instead of just moving the problem around.

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I'm pretty sure that worked for me. We'll see over the next few days. Weird thing is I used to sync Facebook contact, but stopped months ago, before the OTA arrived. I can only imagine that somehow the contacts file was corrupted by the OTA and needed to be created for some reason. I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with Facebook, but a general corruption of the contacts file. We shall see, I hope that fixed the problem for me.

I can confirm that this method does in fact fix the problem (at least for me);

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/608868-ota-4-0-4-update-out-s-off-root-users-may-need-hold-off-8-29-12-a-2.html#post4989279

Try it out and report back!

Cathy9887

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
OK.. I am also having the super slow response to texts, phone calls & contacts in general when dialing, texting or emailing. Also with the phone number showing & not contact info. Personalized ringtones don't work, my alarms yesterday failed & I'm sporadically not getting texts. So here's what I've done so far...
- totally cleared contacts cache & cleared contact data.. then reloaded.
- all FB things are Not synched to contacts
- I do have GoSMS now.. I had Handcent & it did the same thing.

After clearing the contacts files, it seemed to help a lot. But a week later, I'm back in the same boat.. I just went in & cleared FB cache & data, despite not being linked or synched. I do not have link suggestions in the contacts. I do not have Twitter. All I have now is a headache.

Can anyone who has done a factory reset confirm it solved these issues BEYOND just a few days?? Or even beyond a week?? That's quite a hassle for 7-10 days of solution.. ya know??

Cathy

fred72matt

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't waste your time, I did a factory reset and it was great for about 5 days and then it was back to the same nonsense. I am ready to get rid of this phone and jump to Samsung, I text more than anything else with my phone sometimes I am waiting over 30 seconds for text messages to load. And it goes to the phone too, sometimes I dial a number and the phone basically ignores me. HTC should really be doing more about this problem! if anyone knows of a contact email or 800 number for HTC please share....

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The text message delay is really annoying and needs to be fixed. That and getting a phone call and having to answer it or let it go to voicemail before caller ID will tell me who it is. I may be the minority here but I'd be tempted to trade in that functionality for broken multitasking again. Not that we should have to make these types of sacrifices with a "top of the line" phone like this

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with loading messaging, voicemail and people. Hopefully this gets fixed with a Jelly Bean update. And sooner rather than later.

Dimp

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the EXACT same problem. It really pisses me off. I factory reset it once and it helped for like a week. Now it's back to its old self. They need to fix it. I miss alot of calls because I try to wait for the caller I'd to load properly. And the text messages just make me want to throw the phone into a wall because it loads sooooooo slow. Makes me want to ditch HTC altogether

heyyu

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here. I did the Contacts trick. Seemed to work for a bit, but now it's back. I'm considering the factory reset, but based on others experience, the problem will still come back. Also, I seem to be having a bad battery drain issue. Not sure if it's related to the Contact issue or not. Sigh, how long until HTC releases an update to fix this? Otherwise, hello Samsung S3...

jacmorel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Did factory reset twice, the facebook trick and the wiping/reload of contacts. All of these solves the issue temporarily.
HTC, please fix this. I just bought another evo lte for my daugther because she loved my phone but she hasn't seen the issues yet. She only uses it for games and video.
I will return that new phone and buy a Samsung if this is not fixed soon. This will probably not happen soon enough so HTC you probably have lost a sale and. if it is not fixed soon, a loyal customer (this is my 3rd HTC in a row).

Chopper_Joe

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
This is a work-around until there is a genuine fix that worked for me (and doesn't make fundamental changes to the phone). I'll list all the steps I took but don't know if every step is necessary - but it worked: open People - settings - find duplicates then merge contacts then close. Next, open Settings-Apps and disable older versions of People app (any version that has no data - I had two in addition to the functioning one) and then close settings.

Text messages have returned to initial speed and no problems have returned. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is with the phone dialer app itself. Twice my phone has frozen and showed an HTC phone dialer memory problem. The phone dialer accesses contacts. When the phone slows and has the contacts, phone, messaging problems, the phone dialing and caller ID and volume settings and ringtones are all messed up. This seems to be the unifying problem. The phone dialer app. Wonder if we could delete the dialer and use another app.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem is with the phone dialer app itself. Twice my phone has frozen and showed an HTC phone dialer memory problem. The phone dialer accesses contacts. When the phone slows and has the contacts, phone, messaging problems, the phone dialing and caller ID and volume settings and ringtones are all messed up. This seems to be the unifying problem. The phone dialer app. Wonder if we could delete the dialer and use another app.

It's the contacts app, not the dialer.

Montie Browne

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I followed your instructions and was a little nervous to "zap" my contacts. Anyone following these instructions, make sure you read them twice completely before starting. I opted not to do a Force Stop. Once I restarted my phone, I couldn't believe how fast it responded!!! You are awesome! Thanks again.
I can confirm that this method does in fact fix the problem (at least for me);

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/608868-ota-4-0-4-update-out-s-off-root-users-may-need-hold-off-8-29-12-a-2.html#post4989279

Try it out and report back!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's the contacts app, not the dialer.

Yep definitely, I captured this in OS Monitor, check it out, something is locking the contacts database.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354755750792.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354755750792.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 20

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what just happened. I went to respond to a text message and messages force closed. I went to reopen the Messages app and all of my texts were gone.

This phone just gets better and better :O Any way to get the texts back? I did a Google search and didn't see anything regarding recovering the messages. I did set the app to delete after 200 instead of not deleting anything (which is the default), but unfortunately that does nothing for what I lost.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

MannieInches

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
when the text messages freeze and dont send i get so mad i wanna punch my evo in the throat !!!! But seriously if i own a smartphone why is it dumb? I pay my bill on time so my texts should be on time. In case of an emergency i should be able to send messages forget an update this is just common functionality !!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo