Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Starting Sunday, when I press the power button to wake the phone up, sometimes the screen doesn't come on. This is the first issue I've had with my Evo, but I'm really leery of going the Spring refurb POS route. I hate to shell out a few hundred dollars to go to the S3, but I know how high quality the Spring/Asurion refurbs are (went through 5 Pre's in less than a year).

    I'd like to know:

    1- What is the root cause for the failure I appear to be experiencing? It seems if I squeeze the phone it will start to work again (press screen and back together).

    2- Those of you with refurb phones, are they decent?

    3- Any other suggestions on what to do?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    If your with sprint.. Go through tech support not insurance and tell them your tired of all the issues your having with the EVO and that you would like an S3 instead.. They should switch you out at no cost
    Tis what I did... Not looking back either
    Besides, the sprint rep said they were discontinuing the EVO LTE


    Cash Money Castro
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Was your S3 new or refurb? I'm cautious of any of the Sprint refurb junk because of past issues. Also, this is the first issue I've had with it, aside from the bugs we all deal with in JB. I'm going to back up everything on the phone, then try a reset. If that doesn't work I'll be on the phone with tech support.
    bdecastro77 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Technically it is a refurb... However, dude told me that all of the S3 refurbs were brand new... Just that they were opened. Also told me that all of their refurbished phones have to pass same guidelines as new phones... Including NO scratches. Said if I was unsatisfied to just call immediately and they would send a new one. The one they sent me had been opened before, but looks completely brand new

    Cash Money Castro
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Don't go by the Palm Pre as far as refurbs are concerned. The hardware for that phone was garbage as far as reliability in the first place. You would have gone through five new ones in the same time span.

    I'm on my second refurb Evo (due to accidents, not defects) and I had zero problems with either hardware-wise. I think you're just as likely to get a lemon brand new right out of the box as you are with a refurb.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdecastro77 View Post
    Technically it is a refurb... However, dude told me that all of the S3 refurbs were brand new... Just that they were opened. Also told me that all of their refurbished phones have to pass same guidelines as new phones... Including NO scratches. Said if I was unsatisfied to just call immediately and they would send a new one. The one they sent me had been opened before, but looks completely brand new

    Cash Money Castro
    You just asked for the S3 once they determined your Evo had a problem?

    I'm basing my thoughts on refurbs from my family's experience. My sister's 3D refurb is junk and has an issue with portions of the screen not responding, my dad had a Zio that died sitting on the counter and the refurb did the same thing, and my mom had four BB Curve's, all of which went dead and would not come back. This is my first hardware issue with an HTC phone, but with that history (my parents are easy on their phones and don't use them much) I think you can see why I'm a little hesitant.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    From my understanding when a phone is refurbished all the insides are essentially brand new. They do use some of the parts on the phone cosmetically.

    Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdecastro77 View Post
    Technically it is a refurb... However, dude told me that all of the S3 refurbs were brand new... Just that they were opened. Also told me that all of their refurbished phones have to pass same guidelines as new phones... Including NO scratches. Said if I was unsatisfied to just call immediately and they would send a new one. The one they sent me had been opened before, but looks completely brand new

    Cash Money Castro
    I had gotten a refurbished 3D last year with scratches all over it, including the screen, but they didn't care and wouldn't replace it.

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrene View Post
    I had gotten a refurbished 3D last year with scratches all over it, including the screen, but they didn't care and wouldn't replace it.

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Maybe they determine what to send depending on how old the device being replaced is

    Cash Money Castro
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    You just asked for the S3 once they determined your Evo had a problem?

    I'm basing my thoughts on refurbs from my family's experience. My sister's 3D refurb is junk and has an issue with portions of the screen not responding, my dad had a Zio that died sitting on the counter and the refurb did the same thing, and my mom had four BB Curve's, all of which went dead and would not come back. This is my first hardware issue with an HTC phone, but with that history (my parents are easy on their phones and don't use them much) I think you can see why I'm a little hesitant.
    Just asked and that was that

    Cash Money Castro
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdecastro77 View Post
    Maybe they determine what to send depending on how old the device being replaced is

    Cash Money Castro
    Possibly, but at that time, the 3d was only out for 7 months.

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
    bdecastro77 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Today it's getting worse. I'm starting to think now the issue is software related. I've had issues all day with the phone locking up for no apparent reason. Tried restarting the phone, no luck. Removed all photos and downloads, no change. Getting closer to doing a reset, but frustrated more and more. I'll have to make a decision tomorrow to take it to Sprint or bite the bullet on a new phone.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Today it's getting worse. I'm starting to think now the issue is software related. I've had issues all day with the phone locking up for no apparent reason. Tried restarting the phone, no luck. Removed all photos and downloads, no change. Getting closer to doing a reset, but frustrated more and more. I'll have to make a decision tomorrow to take it to Sprint or bite the bullet on a new phone.
    It's probably the power button.

    Run it to a Sprint store and have them check it.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    It's probably the power button.

    Run it to a Sprint store and have them check it.
    Don't think its the problem. If I cover up the proximity sensor, the buttons light up or turn off with every press.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Get the S3

    Cash Money Castro
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    It was working good after I deleted a few apps and disabled the Connections Optimizer. Then, about a half hour ago it wouldn't come back on. Gonna make a call to Sprint here shortly once I get home.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    I've tried doing the simulated battery pull, which causes the buttons to flash, then restart. The phone shows no LED indication when plugged into USB or AC charger, and is off constantly. I cannot get it back to a somewhat working state. Tech support had nothing, only suggested I go into the store tomorrow.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    You have to tell them that you have been through all of that already and your not getting anywhere... Demand another phone.. Of course they will try other recourse if the option is available

    Cash Money Castro
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Patiently waiting for 10AM...
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Ended up with a refurb Evo. They wouldn't let me get a different model. So far I've noticed this phone has worse 3G reception than the phone it replaced. Tried a PRL update but no change in signal.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Sounds like you went through the store... I went through sprint technical support over the phone.

    Cash Money Castro
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdecastro77 View Post
    Sounds like you went through the store... I went through sprint technical support over the phone.

    Cash Money Castro
    I did, because I called tech support last night and they instructed me to go through the store.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Ended up with a refurb Evo. They wouldn't let me get a different model. So far I've noticed this phone has worse 3G reception than the phone it replaced. Tried a PRL update but no change in signal.
    They gave you a refurb on the spot? That's weird.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Screen not turning on occasionally, go refurb or S3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    They gave you a refurb on the spot? That's weird.
    They had one in seed stock. Cost me $50 to get it from a factory store. Tech said the screen went out.

    Trying to figure out now why the new phone is slow to pick up 3G signal in places I used to have no trouble. Did a PRL update and didn't see a difference. Also wondering if today's update did anything to it.
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post

    I'd like to know:


    2- Those of you with refurb phones, are they decent?
    Sprint/assurrion refurbs are horrible. I had to get a replacement in the mail a few weeks ago. It came with a messed up speakerphone. Everytime I put it on speakerphone, all that comes out is "white-noise".

    Now i have to get to the sprint store to get it fixed or 95% likely replaced with another refurbsh. Its just inconvenient to go a day or 2 without a phone while they look at it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. China Tablet screen not turning on
    By JoeJones72 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
  2. Screen not turning on, app buttons do
    By Freyguy06 in forum HTC EVO Shift 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 11:40 PM
  3. Problem with screen not turning on or turning off too fast
    By dpham00 in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 02:48 AM
  4. Evo 4G screen not turning on
    By mchinici in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
  5. HELP! Screen not turning on all the way- lemon?
    By SassyPenguin in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Posting Permissions