Basic noob questions

msa6

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I wish I understood rooting better than I do, so I'm kind of dangerous here. But I do know that I want that bloatware off my phone, would like some better battery control, and would like to do wireless tethering for less than $30 per month. So I've done Unrevoked on me Evo, and all seems to be good, though tethering isn't working yet, and the bloatware is still there).

Here are my questions:

I think I understand that it would a good idea to do both Nandroid backups (either with ROM Manager or the clockworkmod route). Am I right that there's no difference?

How often should I do these? I don't see myself swapping ROMs regularly. What about just doing one, and storing the backup on my computer hard drive rather than filling up the SD card with lots of backups. What will I be missing if I go this route? Is there an option to overwrite the existing backup, so that I don't have loads and loads of them on the card? What about his route?

Same question on Titanium backups (which I understand are a good idea as well). Chose one for Max Backups? Is that the way to keep just the most recent backup, and not fill up the SD card with loads of them.

One more: what, if anything, do I need to do to be sure that some OTA update doesn't screw up what I've changed in the phone.

Thanks...just looking for a basic rooting setup. Hoping to do this once, get the right ROM installed, and move along.

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I wish I understood rooting better than I do, so I'm kind of dangerous here. But I do know that I want that bloatware off my phone, would like some better battery control, and would like to do wireless tethering for less than $30 per month. So I've done Unrevoked on me Evo, and all seems to be good, though tethering isn't working yet, and the bloatware is still there).

Here are my questions:

I think I understand that it would a good idea to do both Nandroid backups (either with ROM Manager or the clockworkmod route). Am I right that there's no difference?

How often should I do these? I don't see myself swapping ROMs regularly. What about just doing one, and storing the backup on my computer hard drive rather than filling up the SD card with lots of backups. What will I be missing if I go this route? Is there an option to overwrite the existing backup, so that I don't have loads and loads of them on the card? What about his route?

Same question on Titanium backups (which I understand are a good idea as well). Chose one for Max Backups? Is that the way to keep just the most recent backup, and not fill up the SD card with loads of them.

One more: what, if anything, do I need to do to be sure that some OTA update doesn't screw up what I've changed in the phone.

Thanks...just looking for a basic rooting setup. Hoping to do this once, get the right ROM installed, and move along.

I guess u can do a android back up before u flash a Rom and since ur not switching often shouldn't be a problem..
With titanium you can make a schedual on when to back up it apps so you wouldn't have to worry
And for the ota part when it comes just don't install it wait till the rooted version comes out or wait till your Rom is built of it then flash that if that made sense lol

sent from my HTC Evo using tapatalk

msa6

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

So I flashed it with Fresh, and had some questions. First, it seemed at first like I had lost a lot of personal settings. Things like my corporate email, set up under Exchange/ActiveSync, were not set up. I made some changes (set up some widgets, etc.), and then after the phone did a power down and power up, all the changes were gone. Then, a bit later, it seemed to regain a lot of that personal stuff. Like the corporate email was suddenly back. What's that about?

I got kind of worried about all this, so I flashed back to my prior ROM, which was the stock ROM with unrevoked.

I guess I have two questions. Is there any way to keep personal type settings as you go from ROM to ROM? And why didn't the changes I made after I flashed Fresh stick after the phone powered down and back up?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

So I flashed it with Fresh, and had some questions. First, it seemed at first like I had lost a lot of personal settings. Things like my corporate email, set up under Exchange/ActiveSync, were not set up. I made some changes (set up some widgets, etc.), and then after the phone did a power down and power up, all the changes were gone. Then, a bit later, it seemed to regain a lot of that personal stuff. Like the corporate email was suddenly back. What's that about?

I got kind of worried about all this, so I flashed back to my prior ROM, which was the stock ROM with unrevoked.

I guess I have two questions. Is there any way to keep personal type settings as you go from ROM to ROM? And why didn't the changes I made after I flashed Fresh stick after the phone powered down and back up?

Im not sure *Because I dont use it* but Titanium might save these...

My issue with Titanium back up is carrying these settings from Rom to Rom can potentially cause issues... Each Rom has its own "Personality" lets just say...

Carrying these settings over might not sit well with a Rom

I get this doesn't help you but its a little Info for you...

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure *Because I dont use it* but Titanium might save these...

My issue with Titanium back up is carrying these settings from Rom to Rom can potentially cause issues... Each Rom has its own "Personality" lets just say...

Carrying these settings over might not sit well with a Rom

I get this doesn't help you but its a little Info for you...

So which option DO you use when restoring data/apps after flashing a new rom?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So which option DO you use when restoring data/apps after flashing a new rom?

My Opinion isnt the best for everyone....

Personally I cut down on my basic apps and Info used on my EVO

Max maybe 10 Apps I use total....

2 Apps needed to be downloaded off the market *Rom manager and Astro if not already featured on a rom im using*

the other apps I have on my SDcard waiting

for Data and Settings well I just set it all up again

I've done it so many times i dont care anymore really

*Told you my way isn't the most attractive way**

Simplicity is best when you Flash as much as I do

Plus I dont stick with a Rom long enough to have a set up I'll Miss dearly